Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tim Smith
Next Season
Tim Smith (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:58
In the CET:

PM:

“We are in the process of securing most of the squad for next season and tomorrow will be a good platform for them to make a point.”

So where are the key positions that will need filling...who should be the plays we MUST retain...etc etc

Answers on a postcard...

covmick
Re: Next Season
27 April, 2012 12:35
Oh "sir" you do set the most difficult questions ! Chicken and egg ?

covmick/Michael Carter

covbluenwhites
covbluenwhites (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 13:34
IMO Players to retain -

Tibbats, Daynes, Lewis Barker, Heath Stevens, Jamie Harrop, Mark O'Connor, Benny Russel, Luke Myring, Liam Mather....

IMO Players to bring in -

A big prop, another second row, a fly half, and some winger/centres....

Agree/Disagree?

tonker
tonker (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 15:00
i agree. actually its the same comments we made last year! we need pace & power as well as rugby brains!

sk
rustyroof (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 15:01
a bigger, more powerful ball-carrying 8 wouldn't go amiss. The back-row is such a key area and we've looked a bit underpowered there this season. tibbatts, harrop and nash are good players, but a bit on the small side. A good big un will always beat a good little un, as they say. Also, Someone with a bit of extra class in the outside backs wouldn't go amiss. I think I'm right in saying, there is a 50% increase in funds available, so some decent acquisitions should be possible,
And another scrummie to backup/compete with Barker.

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 17:32
Quote:
covbluenwhites
IMO Players to retain -
Tibbats, Daynes, Lewis Barker, Heath Stevens, Jamie Harrop, Mark O'Connor, Benny Russel, Luke Myring, Liam Mather....

IMO Players to bring in -

A big prop, another second row, a fly half, and some winger/centres....

Agree/Disagree?

From my limited sight of the side this year, I agree, but no place for Nash, Harris, Gregson, the 'other' locks? Hmmm.
Otutaha seemed to have a bit of something about him too on Saturday, but that was the only time I've seen him
I also agree that we need a Venter/Rheeders/McGlone type backrower again as a matter of some urgency.
The rumoured return of a certain current Jersey prop would be a bonus too....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Kimbeau/Cov%20Misc/covsmiley.jpg

zinzanh
zinzanh (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 18:05
Wise words as always, unfortunately Nasher is off to see the world with his new bride and good luck to him he has given us a lot for the last two seasons, and will leave a lasting impression. As for Jeff and Tommy as far as I know they are not out of the loop but still fighting injuries.That Welshman would always be welcome at BPA. Lets hope all our brave young men are allowed to develop within the current structure and give us the satisfaction we are all willing. C'MON COV.

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 20:07
Didn't know about Alex. Shame, but I too wish him (and her) well! He's been a real asset to the side.

Tim Smith
Tim Smith (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 12:04
According to Twitter, looks like Mark O'C is playing his last game for Cov today....

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 13:28
That's a shame too....

CharlieBravo
Charliebravo (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 10:24
I was going to say "what a shame" too, in respect of Nashie, Mark O, etc, but I'm afraid that was before the Cinderford result.
I do very much wish all the best to Nashie and his bride, but the overall team performance level this season has been pretty dire, and it's clear to me that a root and branch clearout is needed.
It's obvious that the squad is not composed of players who have the necessary skills and commitment so, here we go again, running the risk of starting afresh with another bunch of players who have never met before and have little or no established pedigree.
As I've said on another thread which I've started, we are a shambolic outfit with no hope of improvement in current conditions.

jab87
jab87 (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 12:25
In the report on the meeting with the new chairman, part of the presentation referred to "investment" in better players, which inevitably means that a number of the current squad will be moving on.

We all recognise that much of the modern game is about money - there are players in non-national league teams who are being paid several hundred pounds per game. They won't necessarily have the same training and travelling commitment as playing for Cov, and can run their rugby career alongside the day job.

Whilst recognising the level of the injuries, I have been very disappointed with the rugby at BPA this year and would make two requests, with regard to the extra investment in the playing staff:
1. Start the recruitment process as early as possible to encourage season ticket holders, sponsors and advertisers to renew; and
2. Whilst forwards may still win games, I do believe that our back play has not been good enough for a number of seasons, and this is reflected in our bonus point total

Tim Smith
Tim Smith (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 12:54
Looks like wever is off to Aus...

thomas senior
tom snr (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 13:03
recruitement has already started but as we found out last season until players actually turn up for training noyt always a done deal.
info will be posted as soon as possible.

captainscarlet
bigm (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 13:04
oconnor will be a major loss,having him and myring has been a major bonus as excellent kickers.Long long time since we have had kickers live up to there previous supposed stats,what happens to them when they get to cov

covbluenwhites
covbluenwhites (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 11:51
My earlier list of players was just meant to be highlighting the players we MUST keep. Not the ONLY ones we should keep!

But after Cinderford I am not so sure!

I included Tibbats, Daynes, Lewis Barker and Jamie Harrop and I believe all of those did as much as they could on Saturday and gave it everything but as PM alludes to in the CT today, there were players out there just not trying hard enough and who didn't want it enough!!

The game plan seemed wrong from the start! But on top of that we must bring in some backs who are both creative and strong ball carriers! A big 8 too, a few second rows as we seem to be losing them fast... and our own, decent, props!

snuggles
Mick Shaw (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 15:38
Do we need to add to or changing the coaching team maybe getting Dave Ellis on board perminantly ?.
Does anyone know who the 6 from Northampton are I persume Ethan Waller is one anything known about the others please ?

covrugbysup
covrugbysup (IP Logged)
03 May, 2012 16:54
It appears from the Moseley website both Gillick and McBurnie have been released are they coming to us?, I thought McBurnie put in some good performances and Gillick although a little match rusty did his best to make an impact

captainscarlet
bigm (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 07:02
i would imagine it will be 6 over the season, not in one fell swoop. If we could get hicks back,the second rower who played a couple of games.Having seen him play afew more games since playing for cov, more and more he reminds me of danny grewcock in his cov days.

Broonie
Broonie (IP Logged)
24 May, 2012 14:56
greetings from sunny nuffamtun.

i don't know where the figure of 6 saints players came from , but it looks quite plausible.i have come to whet some appetites

the good news is saints' academy looks stronger year-on-year these days, the marginally bad news is i'd expect ethan waller to move up to Moseley this year.

do not fear, however, reading the tea leaves you might be in line for some of the following (i have assigned them a (1) or a (2) depending whether they are new intake(1) or second year academy(2), although they will in any event have been receiving coaching and conditioning at FG as members of saints Junior academy)

Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (1) England U18 loosehead 6'1",18 st.3lbs.- be surprised if he doesn't get a full cap one day. absolute beast with ball in hand .power and serious pace with good hands

Danny Herriott (2) England U18, U20 tighthead (year early) 6'2" 18st 5lbs.
spent last season being beasted, coached by nobby west and propping against pros in wanderers. very decent scrummager, now much more mobile

Tom Hicks (2) of whom you already know.6'8" , 16.5st last year, he'll be bigger this year however.

Alex Woolford (2) 6'6", 17st lock . didn't get DR last year, but ready now. good lineout player, likes a canter.

Darrell Dyer (2) 6'5" 16.5st.lock/6 ,given a senior contract after just one year,seriously good lineout, very quick , may settle at 6

we have some seriously good young backs in the academy this year. a couple will probably go to moseley, but some may well come your way viz.

Alex Day(2) England U18,U20 (a year early) ,6', 13.5st. scrum half. a gem. has been playing against seniors for a couple of years.only took up scrum half 2 years ago, was a wing. pass now good , elusive and strong , a real flyer.

Tom Stephenson(1) centre, 6'1" 14.5 st.England U18 capt.
not small, not huge. very quick,very aggressive very hard and very skilled, has played in wanderers games since he was 16.

Tom Collins (1) England U18, 6', 13.5 st. 12/13/w/fb
very quick indeed , skills good, tough , incredible step off each foot, can kick goals and from hand.

in addition, some good players leave saints academy without getting senior contracts this year. i know one (glyn hughes) who has signed a one year deal at moseley where he's expected to start and he might well be back at saints after that (myler and lamb come out of contract next year). it may be that our coaches have gently pointed some towards cov as , other than front rows , we only keep them in the senior academy for 2 years.

even if ethan waller and adam parkins move up to the championship , hobbs and herriott are very serious contenders. the first-years usually seem to be kept at FG on an extended preseason their first year so herriott may fly the coop a few weeks before hobbs.

if you get any of the 3 backs , it'll be a bit of a road test, as from a saints point of view, they're the crown jewels. Day and Stephenson are slightly more experienced so might be going direct to moseley, but Collins at least should come your way and he could just be phenomenal- he can make defenders look silly. there are also 3 very handy lineout players in that lot - darrell dyer as a lineout flanker is very classy and very swift.

pjc118
pjc118 (IP Logged)
24 May, 2012 19:39
Some big props. What done they feed them on?

I did enjoy watching Tom Hicks whilst he was here.

Parent
Parent (IP Logged)
24 May, 2012 20:23
Couple of Saints newcomers also in Alex Wooton and Jack Allcock. Both Sedbergh School lads from 'up north'. And both are exciting prospects. Should really come on next season.
I was speaking to Tom Collins the other week at Broadstreet, where he ran-in two tries for the England U19s against France. Had a major part of last season on the sidelines with back problems I believe, but looking the real deal again now.
Exciting times for these youngsters.

zinzanh
zinzanh (IP Logged)
24 May, 2012 20:24
Cheers Broonie, as they say every little helps and bigger is better these days.

snuggles
Mick Shaw (IP Logged)
25 May, 2012 14:41
Quote:
Broonie
greetings from sunny nuffamtun.
i don't know where the figure of 6 saints players came from , but it looks quite plausible.i have come to whet some appetites

the good news is saints' academy looks stronger year-on-year these days, the marginally bad news is i'd expect ethan waller to move up to Moseley this year.

do not fear, however, reading the tea leaves you might be in line for some of the following (i have assigned them a (1) or a (2) depending whether they are new intake(1) or second year academy(2), although they will in any event have been receiving coaching and conditioning at FG as members of saints Junior academy)

Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (1) England U18 loosehead 6'1",18 st.3lbs.- be surprised if he doesn't get a full cap one day. absolute beast with ball in hand .power and serious pace with good hands

Danny Herriott (2) England U18, U20 tighthead (year early) 6'2" 18st 5lbs.
spent last season being beasted, coached by nobby west and propping against pros in wanderers. very decent scrummager, now much more mobile

Tom Hicks (2) of whom you already know.6'8" , 16.5st last year, he'll be bigger this year however.

Alex Woolford (2) 6'6", 17st lock . didn't get DR last year, but ready now. good lineout player, likes a canter.

Darrell Dyer (2) 6'5" 16.5st.lock/6 ,given a senior contract after just one year,seriously good lineout, very quick , may settle at 6

we have some seriously good young backs in the academy this year. a couple will probably go to moseley, but some may well come your way viz.

Alex Day(2) England U18,U20 (a year early) ,6', 13.5st. scrum half. a gem. has been playing against seniors for a couple of years.only took up scrum half 2 years ago, was a wing. pass now good , elusive and strong , a real flyer.

Tom Stephenson(1) centre, 6'1" 14.5 st.England U18 capt.
not small, not huge. very quick,very aggressive very hard and very skilled, has played in wanderers games since he was 16.

Tom Collins (1) England U18, 6', 13.5 st. 12/13/w/fb
very quick indeed , skills good, tough , incredible step off each foot, can kick goals and from hand.

in addition, some good players leave saints academy without getting senior contracts this year. i know one (glyn hughes) who has signed a one year deal at moseley where he's expected to start and he might well be back at saints after that (myler and lamb come out of contract next year). it may be that our coaches have gently pointed some towards cov as , other than front rows , we only keep them in the senior academy for 2 years.

even if ethan waller and adam parkins move up to the championship , hobbs and herriott are very serious contenders. the first-years usually seem to be kept at FG on an extended preseason their first year so herriott may fly the coop a few weeks before hobbs.

if you get any of the 3 backs , it'll be a bit of a road test, as from a saints point of view, they're the crown jewels. Day and Stephenson are slightly more experienced so might be going direct to moseley, but Collins at least should come your way and he could just be phenomenal- he can make defenders look silly. there are also 3 very handy lineout players in that lot - darrell dyer as a lineout flanker is very classy and very swift.

The number of 6 comes from we had a meeting with our new chairman a few weeks ago and Mr Maynard stated he had agreed with Saints to have 6 players as long as we played them.
As regards to Ethan Waller going to Moseley I don't think personaly he is ready for the championship another year with aggy would do him good.
Rather than send players to Moseley send them all to Cov and lets get Cov up. May I thank you of your information

MESSAGES->author
Roger Fox (IP Logged)
25 May, 2012 14:51
It's very good that Premiership Clubs loan young players to lower clubs but they are only there for the good of the Premiership club. If a player shows promise he will be retrieved back to the Premiership or go up a division, and we are back to square one, and needing to rebuild once again. In addition those Premiership Clubs scoop up the local talent from Coventry and other areas denying us any opportunity to recruit and get perhaps a couple of first team seasons from them, if we are lucky. The reality is that we and other lower division clubs are development facilities for the top clubs. I will continue to support Cov but am not under any illusions that the die is cast and we will not achieve Premiership status, unless that Sugar Daddy comes along. I prefer to face reality and not whistle a happy tune.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net