rugbyunion
Latest News:

captainscarlet
excellent cov
12 March, 2017 08:12
An excellent performance by cov yesterday , frustrated the noisy and agitated Ampthill coaching staff..it was also a case of father knows best in the Gulliver household , with son Ben amongst the opposition coaching staff.
A great team performance, in particular the last 15 with the pack totally dominating the much praised Ampthill pack.
It was great to see Grasso put in a magnificent shift,with tap penalties and breaks.Tom Jubb continues to impress alongside the ever reliable Tom poole. Apart from a couple of misses Will Maisey had a fine game at fly half, taunting his old team .Especially with several breaks pushing through Ampthills defensive lines.
It has to be said that the referee had an excellent game,with continued problems in the scrums not getting out of hand.
It was good to see a new move in the line out with grasso at the front of the lineout and the practice paid off.
Well done COV

Jean H
Re: excellent cov
Jean H (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 10:09
Totally agree Mark with your comments good day all round for rugby union fans!Just like to
say a big thank you to everyone involved in "curry and pint "event,went off well.

covkid53
covkid53 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 10:52
Quote:
Jean H
Totally agree Mark with your comments good day all round for rugby union fans!Just like to
say a big thank you to everyone involved in "curry and pint "event,went off well.
Sneaked in yesterday and blimey it was tense, the performance certainly put down a statement of intent for next season. After roundly applauding the team off the park, I went straight home and watched England turn over the best team Scotland has had for years (So they told us) .... Happy days.
Cov are moving forward and I think an even better next season beckons, top 2 or 3 is realistic based on this display. Still need to be wary of teams upping their game against Cov, we are a still big name in rugby circles.

Great day.

covmick1/Michael Carter
12 March, 2017 12:24
[quote covkid53][quote Jean H]Totally agree Mark with your comments good day all round for rugby union fans!Just like to
say a big thank you to everyone involved in "curry and pint "event,went off well.[/quote]Sneaked in yesterday and blimey it was tense, the performance certainly put down a statement of intent for next season. After roundly applauding the team off the park, I went straight home and watched England turn over the best team Scotland has had for years (So they told us) .... Happy days.

Cov are moving forward and I think an even better next season beckons, top 2 or 3 is realistic based on this display. Still need to be wary of teams upping their game against Cov, we are a still big name in rugby circles.

Great day.[/quote

Good to read covkid53. hope you will consider buying a season ticket for next season ? Support in hard cash is vital to drive the club forward. As Jean H states with the meal deal. Well done to all behind the scenes at the club.

covmick/Michael Carter

albie
Geoff Kennedy (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 15:16
Good to see Covkid took in a game and seemed to be impressed by what he saw. Had he attended more games he would have been delighted to see us win by such a margin against a top three side. We didn't rely on a last minute score to win the game. That said, glad he enjoyed the occasion and I echo Michael in hoping he becomes a season ticket holder next season.
Tom Jubb seems to have benefitted from the partnership with the ever consistent Tom Poole, and both had excellent games yesterday. Full marks also to Jimmy Litchfield who refused to allow the inadequacies of his opponent at scrum time frustrate him. Our pack as a whole did a great job in reducing a much vaunted pack onto their knees during the last quarter.
Our backs were more threatening throughout and might well have added some more tries with better execution and fortune
The challenge now is to finish the season on a high and carry the momentum plus the arrival of some newcomers into the next season.

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 15:30
Thoroughly enjoyed the game and the team showed great resilience in the way they dealt with the issues in the scrum where the ref was "supported" with some decisions form one side in particular which were clearly incorrect but, hey ho, the ref worked it out and did the right thing.

Ampthill didn't know where to go with it, so a superb win.

AgentB
Street (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 19:00
Did Jake Byrne get on ?

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 19:38
Yes, after about half an hour. Made a much better show of it than up at Fylde, and is clearly learning well.

titchywinger
titchywinger (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 20:28
That was a great performance from Cov. The intensity and tenacity of the whole team during the first half made Ampthill look a lethargic and dare I say it, a very ordinary side. This despite Cov being penalised at virtually every scrum and a lot of breakdowns.

Ampthill, after presumably getting a half time dressing room roasting showed what a good side they are and played with a great deal more urgency and power, and came back at Cov. It was great to see Cov ride the storm, get the fourth try, and then dominate again and run down the clock for a very good victory.

There were a lot of stand out performances from the Cov players and there seemed to be a lot of confidence oozing through the team. That was the first time I had seen Sam Grasso in action and I was very impressed. Very alert and quick thinking and pugnacious to boot. I certainly hope he will be with Cov next season along with Pete White. Tom Howe scored an excellent try again and looks dangerous every time he gets the ball. It's a shame he won't be with us next year, but good luck to him at Worcester.

A great performance Cov. Keep it going.

Tip
Tip (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 21:30
Totally agree with at has been said about the team on yesterday's game but I think the real thanks needs to go to RW, Boris and the other coaches for their vision and leadership to get the team to where it is ; both on and off the field.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 07:24
What a fantastic days rugby for Coventry and England fans. The first half performance was the best so far this season and showed how this squad is developing. It was inevitable that Ampthill were going to have a spell, but we weathered the storm and finished the stronger. Definitely a team performance including the players on the bench.

captainscarlet
14 March, 2017 07:55
i forgot to mention , that there was a new stadium record set on saturday, with most people in the technical areas. Surpassing the Blackheath games total.
At one point in the second half , there were more people than queue for their buses in Pool Meadow bus station.

Camera Shake
Camera Shake (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 09:39
Quote:
bigm/ mark harrison.
i forgot to mention , that there was a new stadium record set on saturday, with most people in the technical areas. Surpassing the Blackheath games total.
At one point in the second half , there were more people than queue for their buses in Pool Meadow bus station.

NCA regulations:
TECHNICAL AREAS ARE FOR THE SOLE USE OF THE FOLLOWING
1. TEAM DOCTOR or PHYSIO
2. WATER CARRIERS
All of whom should stay in the technical area unless allowed onto the pitch
The maximum allowed in the technical area is 4

The regulations specifically state that coaches/non-playing staff must stay behind the pitch side barrier.

Jean H
Jean H (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 10:01
Who should be regulating these laws?Referee or assistants or someone from the home team?

Camera Shake
Camera Shake (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 11:02
It says:

This regulation must be strictly observed. Referees have the power to report non-compliance to the NCA and RFU who can apply sanctions.

I don't have the information as to what the sanctions might be.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 12:58
It is generally ignored. Occasionally a touch judge / assistant referee will shout at people especially if he is getting annoyed with being abused by coaches.

The last time we were down at Rosslyn Park I heard their 4th official telling their own squad to stay back out of it before the game - "We have to be whiter than white if we're going to complain about them" - pointing at Cov.

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 19:29
The 4th official is responsible for keeping the technical area tidy. Blame him. But if there *was* a barrier he could insist they kept behind, it might help.

covchopper
covchopper (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 21:56
Is it really a problem? If I was with the team I'd be there as well. Need to be sure we are not just complaining for the sake of it. Unless it gets in the way of some spectators' views I a have no real problem with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Coventry Poll

Where will we finish at the end of the 2016 - 17 season?

See results > Submit >>