rugbyunion
Latest News:

Hammerman
Phil maynard
Hammerman (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 19:01
I see Phil has left the club. Not much in the way of a statement from the club. Does anyone have any idea why he left?

MESSAGES->author
Re: Phil maynard
OldNick (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 19:58
Reading between the lines in the announcement I think he has probably left. It doesn’t say so explicitly.

The reason would seem pretty clear - Phil Crossman, an experienced businessman, being put in charge of the part of the club which Phil Maynard had been left running.

titchywinger
titchywinger (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 21:51
Clear as mud to me. Maybe Phil Maynard has left the club for a salary increase and job satisfaction with another employer. And maybe Phil Crossman has stepped into the breach as a necessity. The news release at the end of the team news post tells us little, but do we need to know the details?

albie
Geoff Kennedy (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 08:33
Agreed Titchywinger - we do not need to know the circumstances of Phil moving on. Our primary concern is supporting the players and coaching staff. Lets just hope that our team continues to perform well and maintain their drive for promotion.

CharlieBravo
11 November, 2017 08:52
I can understand why you ask, Hammerman, because it's human nature to be inquisitive and to want to know such things, particularly abut the club we love and support, but I doubt very much that the reasoning behind such an action taken at exec level will ever be revealed. And rightly so.
Whilst I align myself with the sentiments of wishing Phil well, etc, I think there is a big positive in that all vestiges of the "pre Winter era" are now gone and the club can concentrate on its very specific focus going forward.
To me this is further evidence of the very focussed attitude and commitment from the club, which I wholeheartedly support.

Hammerman
Hammerman (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 12:36
i have spoke to phil many times and he seems a nice bloke who knows what he is on about.i think its strange that for a club thats going places, they sack the managing director out of nowhere. Normally a club would give a reason but all we get is a small paragraph at the end of a match review. I have invested my time and money in this club supporting them all over the country when i can. I would like to know whats happening at "my" club. Theres a need for the club to be open and transparent. I wish Phil well and hope he continues to follow the club.

CharlieBravo
11 November, 2017 14:19
You need to give this a bit more of a logical thought process, Hammerman, because your reaction is not rational.
The fact that you always found Phil to be nice bloke who knows what he's on about is entirely irrelevant. Even more erroneous is your claim that he was sacked "out of nowhere". Where is your justification for that?
The fact is that he's been sidelined from the rugby playing side of things now for 18 months or more, and has instead been given the responsibility for the commercial running of Coventry Rugby. And there can only be one conclusion, which is that he's been judged on the latter, and the action by the exec is a direct result of its perception of his achievements as MD.
The fact that you have invested time and money into the club does not put you in a position where the exec is answerable to you for any decision it takes, so you're also wrong to claim that the club would "normally give a reason".
The openness and transparency which you refer to does not apply to the club's communication with its supporters.
You're right to feel every allegiance to your club and to call it "my" club. Now you need to accept that the club has moved in a direction which maybe surprised you, but it is in the best interests of the club. The club has moved on and you can rest assured that any decision is designed to make the club stronger and better positioned to face the challenges which the future contains.
Like you, I and probably every supporter, wish him all the best in his future.

timdouglas1
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 14:25
I started attending games at The Butts about 7 years ago, so this was after the Green saga. From what I have been told, Phil Maynard was very influential in helping keep Cov afloat when Green wanted the club wound up. Whatever Phil does in the future, I wish him all the best
I might add, welcome aboard Phil Crossman, and look forward to meeting you at the forum on 28th of November

Hammerman
Hammerman (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 18:30
Quote:
Charliebravo (Cliff Bennett)
You need to give this a bit more of a logical thought process, Hammerman, because your reaction is not rational.
The fact that you always found Phil to be nice bloke who knows what he's on about is entirely irrelevant. Even more erroneous is your claim that he was sacked "out of nowhere". Where is your justification for that?
The fact is that he's been sidelined from the rugby playing side of things now for 18 months or more, and has instead been given the responsibility for the commercial running of Coventry Rugby. And there can only be one conclusion, which is that he's been judged on the latter, and the action by the exec is a direct result of its perception of his achievements as MD.
The fact that you have invested time and money into the club does not put you in a position where the exec is answerable to you for any decision it takes, so you're also wrong to claim that the club would "normally give a reason".
The openness and transparency which you refer to does not apply to the club's communication with its supporters.
You're right to feel every allegiance to your club and to call it "my" club. Now you need to accept that the club has moved in a direction which maybe surprised you, but it is in the best interests of the club. The club has moved on and you can rest assured that any decision is designed to make the club stronger and better positioned to face the challenges which the future contains.
Like you, I and probably every supporter, wish him all the best in his future.

sorry Cliff, I think you need to calm down a bit. Please do not belittle me, Your types of reply is one of the reasons i do not post on here.You should try being nice or at least polite to people. I have a right to an opinion. Granted I should not have said sacked. Am I allowed to say "removed" or "leave". The point I was making is that the club is finally heading in the right direction on and off the field and i'm just a bit confused that the "md" has left mid way through what looks like the best season we've had in years.

I do not believe that the chief exec is answerable to me but working for large multi national companies, the norm is to release a statement stating why.

richard wilkinson
John Wilkinson (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 20:37
As in many such situations, I would suggest that terms of settlement preclude any further comments

Cov_InPeace
Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 12:25
Human nature being what it is, people are always going to wonder what's gone on in situations like this.

It's not unreasonable to ask questions, but of course for various reasons we're not always going to get answers.

However, and this is a big one for me, I'm not a big believer in the 'grown-ups know best' approach to running the club. We've seen both here and elsewhere in the city how letting things go without challenge has worked out in the past.

That, for me, is the point of the forum. So please post away hammerman; basically the only rule is that what you're writing isn't libellous or a personal attack. I can't promise that others won't differ, but where they do I'd expect them to use the same courtesy towards you. So let's try to do that please, gentlemen. Where we differ, as we inevitably will, then play the ball not the man. smiling smiley

As far as Phil Maynard leaving, the only thing I'd say is that for the last few years I've witnessed steady improvements at the BPA. I don't doubt that Mr Maynard has played his part in this, and for that I'm personally very grateful.

I wish him every success in the future, and I hope that he's always made welcome at the club.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net