rugbyunion
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
Embarrassing
Peter Redhead (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 16:16
We went to the Warwickshire cup today at the Butts, it was so poorly advertised by Coventry Rugby, but the lack of a score board compounded the embarrassment. Surely Coventry Rugby if you want to build bridges with Warwickshire this is the sort of event that needs respect.
A mention of the game in the preceding home match and an announcement prior to that game and at half time would have been welcome.
If we cannot supply an electronic score board surely the club could come up with a manual one. The fact that the final score was so close emphasises the need for something to be done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2017 17:14 by Peter Redhead.

HoboAl
Re: Embarrassing
HoboAl (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 18:53
Coventry does seem to be making progress, listening and getting things right. However the lack of publicity around this game seems to be an opportunity missed. The electronic scoreboard is an on going embarrassment....so why not introduce some old reliable manual tradition? Mind you I remember a few glitches with the cuckoo clock style scoreboard at Coundon Road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2017 18:54 by HoboAl.

Mikey C
Mikey C (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 20:34
I find this season if the club are given feedback before an event and post they respond positively. Did anyone mention prior to the game there didnít seem to be much promotion?

timdouglas1
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 20:48
Just a thought, but surely lack of advertising means a lower attendance, less bar profits and food sales, and less of an atmosphere for the players. Come on Cov, you have been much better the last 18 months regarding communication to the supporters. You can do much better than this

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 22:08
Quote:
Mikey C
I find this season if the club are given feedback before an event and post they respond positively. Did anyone mention prior to the game there didnít seem to be much promotion?

It was only mentioned on here Friday that the game was at the Butts..so not much time to raise an issue about lack of publicity due to lack of publicity. But as another poster pointed out...lost gate money, food and beverage?????

covmick1/Michael Carter
19 November, 2017 22:58
Points to consider

The game was to be played at BPA by permission of CRFC.

The game was the province of the Warwickshire RFU.

One of the WRFU committee is a poster on here. It could have been advertised in the local press/Radio. It may have done I do not know. The poster could have put in on this MSG board.

Is it the Coventry RFC fault ? Should CRFC spend money in the local press to advertise it. Or do you think it is WRFC who should make the effort ?

covmick/Michael Carter

titchywinger
titchywinger (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 23:13
Indeed , the final is mentioned as taking place this week on the Warwickshire rfu website. So, very little time for publicity at all. Not a lot of time to get bar and catering staff in place and not a lot of time to get the strictly come dancing manual type of score board in operation.So who are you people having a pop at? Rowland Winter? Jon Sharp or the whole board? Maybe you should be having a pop at the Warwickshire RFU, part of the bloated England RFU.

jnjmaxwell@hotmail.com
Maxee (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 01:22
To call a thread 'Embarrassing' is OTT. A minor missed opportunity because Cov had a week off so the game could've provided live entertainment for those not watching the Test Match and put a bit of cash in the til (potentially out- weighed by staff and advertising costs).

You had to be pretty sharp to see any mention on the WRFU website. 'Warwickshire Cup' is an option in their menu, but the link goes nowhere: No mention of previous rounds, the final or anything else. But then they're a regional administrative body for the amateur game. Is Judging them by the standards we've come to expect harsh?

There's little interest in the game outside of the direct participants. We (Cov supporters) probably romanticise the competition because of Warwickshire's heritage and the Cov players who contributed.

captainscarlet
20 November, 2017 07:00
However, there was no advertising of the fireworks the day before it happened during the game..Yes it had been previously advertised 2 weeks earlier...especially when tickets were still being sold minutes before it started.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 07:23
Quote:
covmick1/Michael Carter
Points to consider
The game was to be played at BPA by permission of CRFC.

The game was the province of the Warwickshire RFU.

One of the WRFU committee is a poster on here. It could have been advertised in the local press/Radio. It may have done I do not know. The poster could have put in on this MSG board.

Is it the Coventry RFC fault ? Should CRFC spend money in the local press to advertise it. Or do you think it is WRFC who should make the effort ?

Nobody is suggesting Coventry RFC should spend money in the local press. But they could have put something on their website and publicised it through facebook like they do other events. It just seems a simple opportunity missed that is all.

MESSAGES->author
Peter Redhead (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 10:54
My point of saying embarrassment is that given all that has gone before with Coventry and Warwickshire, a mention in the last games programme, short announcement prior to and at half time and a simple notice in the club house is the least that could be expected. Given the tight score, an active score board would be appreciated. No I am not knocking Rowland but I do think the club needs to build bridges with Warwickshie.

albie
Geoff Kennedy (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 12:30
Are we seriously discussing a Warwickshire Rugby matter here?

The onus was on Warwickshire to promote and advertise their event.

The Warwickshire cup was meant to be a knockout tournament played for by all clubs in the county below National League level. Sadly, many clubs opt out of the event, leaving it as a pale shadow of it's former self. Just how many entered this years competition?
League rugby now matters more to clubs. Playing numbers are low - many struggle to field second XVs
This situation is surely a priority for those running the game in the county, It is they who should seek to actively engage all clubs to participate in county competitions and lead in the development of the game at club level. After all is that not what they are supposed to do?

Nonetheless, I am sure the "blazers" all enjoyed the buffet and drinks yesterday. Will Carling was so correct all those years ago.

P.S. The ongoing matter of the scoreboard is a Coventry matter and one which needs urgent addressing

captainscarlet
20 November, 2017 15:34
Does not the club benefit through drinks revenue though Geoff.

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 15:46
Quote:
Maxee

You had to be pretty sharp to see any mention on the WRFU website. 'Warwickshire Cup' is an option in their menu, but the link goes nowhere: No mention of previous rounds, the final or anything else. But then they're a regional administrative body for the amateur game. Is Judging them by the standards we've come to expect harsh?

Quite. I looked too, well in advance, then again, then again (might have gone, had it been at Liberty Way).
I'd say that the 'embarrassment' is WRFU's, not CFC's.

albie
Geoff Kennedy (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 15:47
Of course it does Mark. My criticism is aimed at Warwickshire RFU who did little or nothing to promote the competition or indeed the final itself. It is a shame that they do so little to promote a competition, which not too long ago was the primary competition for all junior clubs in the county. The final was always scheduled for April and large crowds attended creating a proper rugby atmosphere. i would ask all readers to look at their website and judge for yourselves.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 18:24
The criticism of Warwickshire RFU is valid. But if Coventry have a potential gain from catering they should have promoted it to their fans. Smart business makes sense and publicity through social media these days isn't difficult.

rugbyfann
rugbyfann (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 15:44
Yes the Warks website has been an embarrassment for years.

Photo left up of one season's county squad for years and years with no update.

Fixtures, results and subsequent draws of their own comps not posted.

Perhaps a pity the scoreboard was not in use but I would have thought it might have helped if a Warks person ran a little checklist past the Cov stadium admin in advance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net