rugbyunion
Latest News:

Straightout
Plymouth
Straightout (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 16:45
Saturday the top two collide. Two clubs with great supporters and traditions. Plymouth will no doubt bring lots of colour and noise. The game will play out with ups and downs and big battles across the park. Our role is massive on Saturday. The warm up roar when they trot round...steam coming off the packs during the game and the best supporters in the land lifting the lads and feeling of pride and passion. This board is important, anticipation is there.. come on Cov!

Straightout
Re: Plymouth
Straightout (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 16:59
1st and 3rd at the mo but top two squads...sentiments still stand though. Plymouth and Coventry chants will be epic

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 19:13
Coventry my team.
Plymouth top contenders.
Ampthill dark horses before a ball was kicked
Darlington Mowden much stronger than expected.
Moseley poor start but gaining momentum and could take valuable points of teams from now on.

Underestimate nobody...the season has barely started.

jnjmaxwell@hotmail.com
Maxee (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 11:28
17,000 miles away and scratching around for any bits of information on Cov (ever thankful for the increased output from the Club and for Timís blog), Iíd taken to checking the Plymouth message board since the last round of fixtures to see if they were talking about the game... dissapointingly not a mention so far!

John Butler
John Butler (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 13:58
The match preview, which I always ensure via JW is available for the Tuesday preceding a match, is on the official site

MESSAGES->author
Gitto's Mate (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 12:08
When Plymouth ran out I thought "is this their colts?" As I'm used to seeing a BIG pack from down that way but they were no mugs and very solid - first half was even but credit to Cov in the second 40 as they upped their game and shut Plymouth out, not really giving them a sniff - the work-rate, effort and desire was magnificent as they secured a fully deserved victory

tonker
tonker (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 13:05
spot on fitto's mate. first half cov spilled ball & gave away too many penalties which enabled plymouth to build pressure.second half cov came out strong , scored twice, and then managed the game v well , shutting out plymouth .
narraway, tolmie. motato & kessel played very well but the rest were not far behind. slightly worrying issues still at line out & scrum not securing own ball but who can argue with a 5 point win against promo rivals.
we need to keep up the work rate and performance, especially in defence, cos theres plenty of banana skins in the way!

captainscarlet
26 November, 2017 13:59
A job well done against plymouth, in particular when was the last time had such a strong first 10/15 mins in the second half.I wonder if this was result of half time team talk.There were lots of little cameos and pieces of skill around the pitch from Cov. Matoto played very well in an unusual position for him and the team.In fact he seems to now of given the selectors a further nudge, with his versatility. Tolmies form continues on a huge up swing following him being dropped to the development, as well as his ability to perform other roles. One huge debt of thanks at the end of the season will be going to Kessel , who has stepped into the team at little notice and looks the part .Returning to his high levels of performance, which brought about his move to Saints.
Have to say i wish the ref had let the game flow a little bit more.

covkid53
covkid53 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 14:11
This was always going to be a tough one, half time score a disappointment but second half was a very professional shut out. Great support again and statbunker shows Cov to be the 4th best supported team outside the Premiership.

Got a breathing space points wise, but I am sure RW wont let the guys relax. Let's hope for a kind winter period. This club deserves Championship rugby for so many reasons.

timdouglas1
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 15:00
I recommended the game to a work colleague, he brought along 5 friends, and they all enjoyed the game and aftermatch entertainment thoroughly. Might be some regulars now, and I told them the awaydays are just as good. As for the game, for me Kessler was excellent, as were Oram and Dacres. Matoto mentioned recently he prefers centre to wing, and he also shone. Man of the match? Tough one, but for me, Kessler just edges it, but a great team performance

Front row union
Front row union (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 15:45
At the risk of sounding a bit boring,yet another good day out at the Butts. Having retired nearly 12 months ago,it was nice to meet up with 5 old work colleagues, some of whom were making their debuts at the ground. To a man they were all very impressed.
We all enjoyed a good old reminisce afterwards,although a small winge about having to drink out of plastic for a good hour after the game,hope this is not going to be a regular occurrence.
I love the family/club atmosphere at the game, and just wonder if we will be able to keep this,if promotion is achieved. I certainly hope so.
Back to the game. On the whole,thought we were professional,disciplined and accurate,apart from the last 15 minutes before half time,when I thought we got on the wrong side of sir,and literally paid the penalty which included two discretionís at the scrum,for feeding and not striking. Very rare these days.
However, the half time talk did the trick,and I thought we were very much in control till the final whistle. Would have liked another converted try though to have achieved my home prediction of 36 points.
Everyone contributed to the victory and thought there were a lot of good performances, and canít argue with any of the above candidates for man of the match......but for me, I would have given it to Scott Tolmie,for yet another outstanding all round game.

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 09:59
Quote:
paid the penalty which included two discretionís at the scrum,for feeding and not striking. Very rare these days.

Yeah - one of the "new" interpretations this season was for the hooker to have to strike for the ball instead of just stepping over it as the front row drove forward, and the first free kick was because we didn't.

The feeding free kick was almost inevitable if we hadn't struck for the ball previously.

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:08
Quote:
Sam Skennel
Quote:
paid the penalty which included two discretionís at the scrum,for feeding and not striking. Very rare these days.

Yeah - one of the "new" interpretations this season was for the hooker to have to strike for the ball instead of just stepping over it as the front row drove forward, and the first free kick was because we didn't.

The feeding free kick was almost inevitable if we hadn't struck for the ball previously.

The first one was for foot up, fair enough. Second was for feeding. My understanding is that feeding is theoretically impossible this season, the rules instead focusing on the alignment of the scrumhalf and the striking of the ball?

This was in addition to a number of non-calls. Tony Fenners non-try should have been a penalty try and he was held back and elbowed on his way to downing it. ( the downing wasnít clear tbh at full speed) numberous high tackles missed and lots of afters with no action taken lead to the handbags after Cov scored. Covs lineout appeared poor at times first half but surprising Albion we penalised numerous times second half for classroom sing the gap. Nothing different to the first half.

I canít remember a season, playing or watching, when there has been such inconsistency between officials let alone by a set of officials within a game

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:21
I was surprised that there wasn't a bit more indignation from the main stand at some of the officiating. We felt from the sidelines that we were on the rough end of some of the decisions and Nick Walshe was almost apoplectic.
It was interesting watching Exeter v Saracens at the weekend, at one point the Exeter scrumhalf was sin binned and Gareth Steenson went to scrum half. On his first put in he fed the ball straight and it rolled out of the other end of the tunnel as the hooker had no clue how to hook the ball back. At the second scrum he fed it directly behind his hookers leg - as all scrum halves do, including the Plymouth one...

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:23
Quote:
BackTenRef?
Quote:
Sam Skennel
Quote:

The first one was for foot up, fair enough. Second was for feeding.

Not for foot up, it was for not striking which is different. Foot up is lifting the striking foot before the ball is put in.

Not striking (as given) is what it says on the tin.

However, I did think the ref made a bit of a rod for his own back at that point, regardless of whether he was "correct" in law or not.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:32
Was the free kick for not striking - he appeared to signal foot up?

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 16:04
Probably because they haven't got a specific "not striking" signal yet lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net