rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
PaulRossborough
Ampthill
PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 16:26
Crikey... that was a performance! Crowd was disappointing at 1776 (I think). 63-14 against a promotion contender. I will take that!

All views expressed in this post, are my own

MESSAGES->author
Re: Ampthill
Kimbo (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 17:18
I bet most clubs would be very happy with that crowd Paul! Pretty decent, I thought.

Not as impressive as the performance of the team though.

PaulRossborough
09 December, 2017 17:26
Not bad but personally I thought there would be more.
Of course, others would be happy with as many as we have... and the performance on the pitch too.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 17:35
Personally I'd doubt that number. The stand looked pretty full and there seemed to be more on the scoreboard side than the last game.

covkid53
covkid53 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 18:16
Quote:
Kimbo
I bet most clubs would be very happy with that crowd Paul! Pretty decent, I thought.
Not as impressive as the performance of the team though.
weather not great, close to Christmas and more than the Sky Blues match at Morecambe.
Great win and these are exciting times. On and off the pitch.

elmo's hero's
elmo's hero's (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 18:34
What a cracking game, the score says it all.
That must of sent out some signals to othe teams, especially DMP who only just sneaked it against fylde.
The centre pairing looked very strong with tui tupo having his best game so far and kessell had a stormer scoring 3 try's.
Excellent box kicking from him today.
Jack preece ran himself into the ground, never stopped for breath.
Daynes did very well we he came on,
Every player played so well today, difficult to pick MOM,
Tom's hatrick, Jack,s workrate, or Sams line breaks for me.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 18:59
Cracking game and we made a good Ampthill side look average. Sam Tuitopu had a storming game. There were a lot of very good performances out there today, but for me MOM was Kessel, good distribution, good box kicking and three tries. He has been superb since coming on loan.

MESSAGES->author
Zandra YaPoI (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 19:02
I am a Yorkshire supporter, trust me, we would have been happy with that crowd!

Cracking display, lovely ground, great beer and friendly supporters, what more does a girl need?

Well done Cov!

titchywinger
titchywinger (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 19:09
What a superb dominant performance that was by Cov. Tremendous tackling all afternoon and incisive attacking that led to some great tries. Ampthill were never able to get any sort of foothold in the game and only got into the Cov 22 two or three times. Great performances from all the team.

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 20:04
The whole team brought their 'A' game today, denying Ampthill any chance to play their own game. I'm sure Rowland will find a few things to work on in training though - he didn't look very happy after Ampthill's second try! I love the dedication of the whole club, working together to try to make Coventry the best they can be.

Jack Preece was my MOM, but it could have been one of many.

James Pritchard tweeted after the match:- "Hard to sum today up really. Can't play a game when no one wants to be there. Individually we need to go away and have a hard look at if we really want to be here. Extremely disappointing day for Ampthill RUFC."

Ouch.

abdabs99rugby
abdabs (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 20:40
Fantastic performance today and for me the best so far this season. I thought when Pete white and Heath got injured we would find it hard to find replacements but it shows the set up we have when we can juggle the team and come up with new formulas that look equally threatening. Kessel could turn out to be the signing of the season and hopefully we can keep him in the set up moving forward...although I was happy with both scrum halves that we started the season with. Jack Preece continues to impress and it was good to see that when Naz went off we continued to look threatening and Daynes had a cracking 30 mins... I think today was the best bench I can remember...Tolmie, Daynes, Trimble etc to quote Eddie Jones finishers rather than substitutes. For me the most exciting thing is that I still think we have more to come from this squad and it may sound bizarre having just scored 63 against 4th place but when we do manage to iron out the knock ons etc....someone will take one hell of a beating!!!.

One interesting point....Paul Turner tried to get the game called off several times saying the pitch was dangerous....maybe he knew what was coming!!

Mick J Shaw
Mick J Shaw (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 22:24
I was expecting a tight match but cov was a league above Ampthill today, totally outplayed by a superb cov performance

timdouglas1
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 06:04
What an impressive performance. Coventry were absolutely superb yesterday. How can you choose a Man Of The Match? So many leading contenders. Tom Kessler was excellent, and his kicking was outstanding. Anthony Matoto was excellent, and Nile Dacres and George Oram have such a good understanding. Brett Daynes came off the bench and played a blinder, but for me, Jack Preece just about gets my vote. Rowland will surely be impressed, but my guess is he will be gutted we didn't get a 10th try
Just one more comment. Is Tom Kessler better than Pete White and Dave Brasier? I think so, even though they are top class scrum halves. If we go up, and I believe we will take some stopping now, I would love to see Tom Kessler sign up for next season

CharlieBravo
10 December, 2017 07:47
Superb all round performance yesterday. I don't think any other NL1 team would have been able to live with that. Ampthill must be feeling very shell shocked. But I have no sympathy with them and, even more gratifying, was for Paul Turner to be delivered such a comprehensive smack in the eye! Ampthill, for me, have taken on the mantle which Plymouth used to have under Graeme Dawes, of being horribly boring to watch. Effective, maybe, but boring.
Can you believe, nine tries and a thirteen point cushion? I feel much more confident now about next Saturday at DMP.

tonker
tonker (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 07:53
agree about kessel, very good all round game, ought to be trying to keep him.what impressed me was cov's patience in the first 20 min or so. they had most of the play but amphil defended well. cov just kept pushing an d amphill cracked. we look better when upping th e pace of the game.
things to work on-lineout again , several poor throws. amphill made ground thro and aside the ruck.
lots of standout performances so this week we should give lots of praise to the work of the likes of oram, preece and the front ro, who provide the possession & go forward and tackle like demons.
fantastic time to be a cov supporter-keep up the level of performanc ecov,

GetxoGreg
GetxoGreg (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 09:36
I came down from Scotland expecting a tight top of the table contest. However, wow what a performance. We demolished them.

PaulRossborough
10 December, 2017 09:45
So a question was raised yesterday, watching the box kicks going up (very good ones too), why do we not jump in order to catch them, instead waiting to tackle the defending catcher... As a result we often turn them over but with such height and distance on the box kick, we are getting players under it but still allowing the opposition to take the ball. Just seems odd. I'm sure there's a good reason...

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 09:59
Quote:
PaulRossborough
So a question was raised yesterday, watching the box kicks going up (very good ones too), why do we not jump in order to catch them, instead waiting to tackle the defending catcher... As a result we often turn them over but with such height and distance on the box kick, we are getting players under it but still allowing the opposition to take the ball. Just seems odd. I'm sure there's a good reason...

We noted the same at the last home game. It's obviously a deliberate tactic to allow the opposition to catch the ball and then hit them hard. The box kicking is so good since Kessell's arrival that it's working well.

Paul Ingleston
Paul Ingleston (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 10:18
Paul , as regards your query, presumably itís the thought that the player catching the ball will not really be set once he has the ball,very often going to ground, therefore allowing the player tackling him better momentum to get him going backwards and making the chance to turn the ball over with a higher success rate.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 10:33
Quote:
PaulRossborough

I think you have answered it yourself.

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 13:53
I'm mildly surprised that you weren't all that happy with the lineout Tonker.
My perception was that it worked better than in any match I've seen thus far. Yes, there were a couple of 'not-straights' but the amount of ball secured cleanly was, I thought, excellent.
We all have different perceptions though I guess.

CharlieBravo
10 December, 2017 14:59
And surely we stole more of their line out ball than they stole of ours, didn't we?

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 17:39
I think the challenging the jumper runs the risk of being penalised for playing the man in the air if we time it slightly badly. Better to wait until he comes back to earth, so to speak, before putting him back into orbit...

tonker
tonker (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 12:56
as you say its all about opinions but there were 3 not straights and at least one other loss, including one early on from a line out close to amphills line.against stronger teams securing our own ball will be important, as it maintains pressure on the opposition,.

anyone know why the winger came off early?

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 13:28
He had a migraine.

Re lineouts though, we also turned a few of theirs over, didn't we?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net