rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
MESSAGES->author
Not counting chickens...
OldNick (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 09:20
If Fylde fail to get a win against Plymouth next week, it would be mathematically impossible for them to catch us this season.:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 09:20 by OldNick.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Not counting chickens...
Kimbo (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:11
Be better if it was Plymouth that couldn't catch us!

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:37
As the line moves up the table, I'll repost to this thread.

richard wilkinson
John Wilkinson (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:41
1, 2, 3, 4........

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 00:10
A predicted, last week Fylde failed to beat Plymouth, and hence can no longer catch us. With their defeat today, the maximum points they can theoretically reach is 72.

This week, we can no longer get caught by Old Albanian, who at most could reach 81. We are on 84.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 17:54
And yesterday another team can no longer catch us - Hull Ionians

At the bottom of the table,
Hull Ionia's maximum points are now 88, although about 52 seems more likely.
Old Albanian maximum 77, more likely about 41
about Fylde' maximum 67, more likely about 26

Duckham walked on water
29 January, 2018 14:03
Quote:
OldNick
As the line moves up the table, I'll repost to this thread.
I wouldn't bother - fair bet most of us can read a table.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 22:19
Two more that can't catch us - Loughborough and Esher.

Although, in score terms, we beat Fylde comfortably and they have played 21 matches, as ,any as any other team in the league and more than most teams i the league, and are lagging by 22 points from the safety of 13th place, it is likely to be a few more weeks before they are formally relegated. They do have home matches against the four teams above them, and must be resting any hopes of NL1 survival on them.

At the top end of the division, I am sure everyone at Coventry is aware we have away matches against our three closest pursuers Darlington MP 24/2, Plymouth 24/3, and Ampthill 14/4, as well as our home match against Darlington 21/4.

Darlington though have justa difficult a run in, with away games against Plymouth 17/2, Ampthill 7/4 and us on 21/4.

It makes the weekends from 23/3 through to 21/4 very exciting, providing neither team slips up in their other matches in the mean time.

PaulRossborough
PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 07:37
I think I'm right in saying that if both teams (Cov and DMP) win with bonus points from here on in , our match on 21/4 Will be somewhat irrelevant in terms of league position.

All views expressed in this post, are my own

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 08:09
Quote:
PaulRossborough
I think I'm right in saying that if both teams (Cov and DMP) win with bonus points from here on in , our match on 21/4 Will be somewhat irrelevant in terms of league position.

I agree. We have a 16 point lead, DMP have a game in hand. Working on the basis that they get five points from that game in hand, and everything else remains equal, we would go into that match on 21/4 11 points up, and with that match and the final home match against Hull Ionians (or in DMP's case their final away match against Loughborough Students) as dead matches.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 11:44
We do have to play each other on the 24th of this month so one of us can not get 5 points.
If DMP get 5 and we get nil then on the 21st April they could be 6 points behind. If they continue to win with bp and of course we do.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 12:20
So, we're 16 points ahead of Darlo, but they have a game in hand.
If they bonus point win that, we're 11 points ahead.
Just say that beat us like Blackheath did up there - we still got the losing bonus point for tries scored. We'd still be seven ahead.
If Plymouth win their next two games (both in hand over Cov) they could be on the same points as DMP now. So the same goes for them.
Cov really need to win against both DMP and Plymouth away, but obviously can't afford to take their foot off the gas with any opposition.
It's normally about now my tummy starts going awry.
Mark

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 14:42
Quote:
Diesel74
So, we're 16 points ahead of Darlo, but they have a game in hand.
If they bonus point win that, we're 11 points ahead.
Just say that beat us like Blackheath did up there - we still got the losing bonus point for tries scored. We'd still be seven ahead.
If Plymouth win their next two games (both in hand over Cov) they could be on the same points as DMP now. So the same goes for them.
Cov really need to win against both DMP and Plymouth away, but obviously can't afford to take their foot off the gas with any opposition.
It's normally about now my tummy starts going awry.
Mark

Caldy A and Ampthill A are massive games as they would take the necessity to beat DMP and Plymouth away. Assuming we don't slip up anywhere else home or away.

jnjmaxwell@hotmail.com
Maxee (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:21
Agreed HoboAl, wins in those (on paper) easier away games will be vital. We can lose 3 more times and in all probability and still win the league comfortably.

Plymouth and DMP will take points off each other and drop points elsewhere.

I donít think we will lose 3 times, just saying we can count a few chickens if we like.

Glass Half Full 1
Glass Half Full 1 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 22:05
After the nightmare which was Blackheath, we needed 57 points out of 65 to guarantee promotion, allowing for fluke scores and results, which seemed a decent ask.

Now need 40 points out of 50 which seems much much better.

Out of DMP Falcons hand which is how I like it.

Come on COV.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:12
Quote:
Maxee
Agreed HoboAl, wins in those (on paper) easier away games will be vital. We can lose 3 more times and in all probability and still win the league comfortably.
Plymouth and DMP will take points off each other and drop points elsewhere.

I donít think we will lose 3 times, just saying we can count a few chickens if we like.

I don't even think they are easy on paper, Caldy have run most top side close this season.

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 19:06
I think Caldy away will be tough.

Front row union
Front row union (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 21:35
I think all games will be tough in their own way from here on in, as pressure mounts to achieve the holy grail.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:19
Two more teams that can no longer catch Coventry this week - Rosslyn Park who now can only get 93 points, and Caldy 98, plus Moseley could only now equal our current score of 99 points. So, that's the bottom half of the table, with the exception of Cambridge with a match in hand.

At the top end, Plymouth and Ampthill losing gives a three match buffer between them and Darlington, and a further four match gap between Darlington and us. Darlington have a match in hand over us, and Plymouth have one in hand over Ampthill.

Key matches to ffect the final table next week
Coventry versus Cambridge of course. Our ownvresults have the biggest impact on our position.
Plymouth versus Darlingtn Mowden Park. Probable third place versus current second. The big game outside our ow contirl, that could well widen the gap at the top.
Hull Ionians versus Loughborough Students - Hull Is must hope to pull Students back into the relegation fray to save themselves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2018 14:00 by OldNick.

Coventrian Man
Coventrian Man (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:51
Not sure where you get your points total for Loughborough from. They certainly don't have 57 points

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 14:01
Quote:
Coventrian Man
Not sure where you get your points total for Loughborough from. They certainly don't have 57 points

Correct, looked at wrong column of spreadsheet. Section in error removed. Thanks

sk
rustyroof (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 14:40
I think Ampthill can be safely discounted. If Plymouth lose to DMP next week I would say they would be pretty much out of the running.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 16:05
Quote:
rustyroof
I think Ampthill can be safely discounted. If Plymouth lose to DMP next week I would say they would be pretty much out of the running.

I personally hope Plymouth beat DMP. I think DMP are our big threat now, Plymouth would need Coventry and DMP to falter.

sk
rustyroof (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 16:43
Agreed, a Plymouth win would be a much better result for Cov.

PaulRossborough
PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 18:02
In terms of the league, I feel our only threat is DMP. If we dont win it, they will.

However, I actually don't think DMP are a threat in terms of winning/losing the matches against them, in as much as I feel that we are stronger than them... My only unease really, is the teams below, who we seem to struggle to 'get up for.... Caldy etc that we still have to play. I feel we are most likely to drop our points against other teams, as I say, Caldy etc. Hopeully it is only bonus points we drop, if any, and not league points for a won match.

All views expressed in this post, are my own

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net