rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

titchywinger
Re: Not counting chickens...
titchywinger (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 09:43
I wouldn't mind seeing Cov v Rotherham again at this stage of the season.

Cov_InPeace
Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 09:46
Quote:
rustyroof
I don't see why he shouldn't. Still looks fit and has been injury free. Similarly with Phil Boulton who's not that ancient at 31 and who has plenty of championship experience. I think Tom Poole, if he's recovered from his neck problem, could give it a good go at the higher level.

Yep, I'd tend to agree. If you can scrummage hard for 60 minutes and then come back on as a flanker a few minutes later then I don't think there can be many doubts about your fitness.

PN has done that a couple of times this season as I recall, and I reckon he'll do well for us next year no matter what division we're in. Just mho, obviously...

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 18:17
I sort of agree, but those players will give us a good season even if it is 30 minutes off the bench minimum. Which takes some pressure off the recruitment in the summer. But it is a big step up and some of the younger players have to do that. But look how Will Hurrel has developed and he wasn't the finished article here. So the likes of Maisey, White, Oram, Stokes, Preece, Stevens, Sacred and I would add Palmer to that are key to the forward momentum.

Paul Ingleston
Paul Ingleston (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 19:16
Love anagrams, HoboAl. Dacres instead of Sacred?

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 19:35
[quote Paul Ingleston]Love anagrams, HoboAl. Dacres instead of Sacred?[/quote

Well spotted but we don't want other teams spotting him ;-)

MESSAGES->author
Gitto's Mate (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 20:19
Nick, if you've a minute, let us know exactly when Cov were safe from relegation? Was it in October?

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 23:10
Quote:
Gitto's Mate
Nick, if you've a minute, let us know exactly when Cov were safe from relegation? Was it in October?

28th January 2018 - the point when none of the bottom three teams could no longer theoretically catch us if they got maximum points in all their remaining matches and we got no further points.

Sounds crazy doesn’t it, that it’s that recent.

In practical terms, we probably had enough points after 12 or 13 weeks, so the start of December.

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 19:08
Now I’m not suggesting Cov should throw any of the next three games, but three four point wins would mean we win the league if we beat RP at home.
Obviously nothing is ever certain and I’m sure the team will be looking to win every game and get over the line ASAP,,, but as a selfish support who’ll be very unlikely to get the pass out to go to Plymouth.... it would be nice it they did it at the Butts

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 15:27
Getting back to basics, One more team, Blackheath an no longer catch Coventry.

Only Ampthill, Plymouth, and DMP now could theoretically catch us. All the talk has been about DMP, but realistically Plymouth have almost as good a chance.

DMP have played 22 matches, and have 83 points, so theoretically could reach 123 points - but have to visit the BPA
Plymouth have only played 21 matches, and have 77 points, so could possibly reach 122 points - and do not have to visit us. We still have to visit them.

Looked at from the Coventry point of view, if we get 124 points in total, it wont matter what those two do. They'll be competing for second place.

With 109 points so far, that's 15 to get - or 3-4 more wins - something we really ought to expect to beat significantly.

Down at the bottom, Fylde could theoretically catch anyone up to Esher, but probably won't. OA aren't much better off. More worrying for the middle-lower part of the table is that a good run by either Hull Ionians or loughborough could well drag Cambridge, Esher, or Rosslyn Park into the fight to avoid the third relegation place.

Ignoring Coventry's game at Caldy, and a number of games that should have clear results, the most significant matches for final positions next week are likely to be Loughborough against Moseley, and Cambridge against Hull Ionians.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2018 17:50 by OldNick.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 21:16
No change near the top, with none of the top six playing.

At the bottom, Fylde's loss puts the within four points of definite relegation. A win for either Hull Is or Loughborough will put them on the maximum oints that Fylde could reach.
Speaking of Loughborough, their two points against Birmingham Moseley put them on equal matches played (23), equal league points as Hull Is (44), and equal wins (7), but with one more draw (2 vs. 1) and a significantly better points difference (-170 vs, -212).

My reckoning is that Student's have an easier run in, but Hull Is probably more determination. Coventry could well end up relegating them on the final day of the regular season.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 17:24
Where are we at now?

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 18:40
Short version, 114 points.

Darlington have 84 points, and with seven games left could theoretically score 35 more points, so could get to 119 points.

Ampthill have 82 points and have six games left, so could score 30 more points, so could get 112 points. They can no longer catch us.

Plymouth have 79 points and have eight games left, so could theoretically score 40 more points, so could also get to 119 points.

We only need to equal our opponents total of 119 points if we have more wins than them.

To get to 119 points, Darlington would need to win all their remaining games, which would give them a total of 23 wins. One more win by Cov would give us 24 wins.

To get to 119 points, Plymouth woul need to win all their remaining games, which would give them 22 wins. So, if we had 119 points we would beat them with our existing 23 wins.

So, five more points and one more win are enough, even if the best possible results for Plymouth and Darlington happened.

Sadly I can’t be at Caldy next week.

Nige H
Nige H (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 19:38
Il give the even shorter version..
If we win next week with a bonus point..we are champions!! :-)

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 20:12
Quote:
Nige H
Il give the even shorter version..
If we win next week with a bonus point..we are champions!! :-)

Hence my final comment above ;-)

Nige H
Nige H (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 20:45
It’s a shame you won’t be there Nic after following them most if not all games this season.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 21:05
The other game I had to miss was Caldy at the BPA

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 22:56
At the other end of the table, Fylde, still on 18 points, have played 25 matches, therefore have 5 left, a possible (improbable) 25 more points, and therefore could reach 43 points.

As everyone above Old Albanian has more than 43 points, Fylde are relegated.

I prefer Penzance to Lytham!

Nige H
Nige H (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 09:51
Poor fylde, what a shocking season for them.

Mick J Shaw
Mick J Shaw (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 12:15
If we go up how many new players would we need and what positions

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 14:42
Plymouth now have 83 points (ft 17th March) and have 7 games remaining. Therefore they could theoretically reach 118 points, but not 119 points, maximum.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 15:42
And Darlo missed out on the bonus point, so that's it?
Get in!

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 15:49
FT Cambridge 15-25 Mowden (0-4)

Yes, provided Cov still win!

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 16:36
You can start counting chickens now if you like....

Paul Harrison1874
Paul Harrison1874 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 17:26
1 chicken.
2 chickens.
3 chickens.
4 chickens.

Etc

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 17:28
Tell me when you've counted them.

On second thoughts....

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net