rugbyunion
Latest News:

Diesel74
Facilities
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 07:41
Tim Smith (Cowshed Tim) has written a provoking blog about facilities at other National One clubs.
[coventryrfc.me]
Obviously, Coventry are comparatively well off in terms of facilities, but others seem to be quite a way behind.
Too much emphasis being put on playing squads?

Sam Skennel
Re: Facilities
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 08:28
When people ask me how we've managed to come on so well, the first thing I always say is that Rowland and Jon Sharp looked to put the infrastructure for the players in place before they put the players there,a dn I believe that to be the case - though I'm always happy to be proved wrong!

The Telegraph piece about us indicated that there are newcomers to National 1 who are paying far more than we are, but if we can go to somewhere like Bishop's Stortford and be complimented on our playing style, our hospitality at BPA and our attitudes before during and after the match, I'll take that every time, and that's the sort of club I want to be part of!

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 08:53
The answer, sadly is there’s no point complaining about the facilities of clubs at our current level.
We need to get to a level to suit our facilities.
We seem to be doing our best to do so at present.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 08:55
Good to know, Sam.
But we are Coventry and we've always been rugby afficionados smiling smiley
The NCA attendances table to date show that not only are we the best in terms of wins, tries scored, points scored, as well as boasting the best defensive record, we're always quite well ahead on support.

[www.ncarugby.com]

Tim Smith
Tim Smith (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 09:13
Lol...Nick

I'm not sure why you've turned it into a complaint...(Sm102)

No one has complained so far on the thread, nor did I in the blog. The reverse in fact because I can quite understand why some clubs don't invest in the facilities as much as perhaps others do. The point I was making...and clearly failed to get over...was that there are folk who, for a variety of reasons, aren't able to visit grounds, especially in the winter where there is no seating/and or shelter - through age, ill-health or disability for instance. It's not just about what clubs offer their our fans, it's also what we offer to visitors as well, or should be perhaps?

Only to look at what best suits us seems a bit one-eyed?

In the blog, I merely asked the question as to whether there should be a requirement at National One for some kind of 'stand'?

It just seemed a legitimate question to ask.

Apologies if you felt it was anything else.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/01/2018 12:47 by Cov_InPeace.

thomas senior
tom snr (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 10:09
Interesting thread as I am one of those who doesnt attend if there are no facilities such as BS, OE and LS.
There is something to be said about the football system were teams are only able to be promoted if facilities are not up to scratch, but of course football provides subsidies in various forms to enable ground improvements to go ahead.
There used to be minimum ground requirement to the Championship but this appears to be been quietly dropped.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 10:19
Now that is interesting, TomSnr. So the lack of facilities can put supporters off.
And also the suggestion that the entry requirements to the Championship appear to have drifted.
The RFU needs to be brave, needs to trickle more money down to the lower tiers. There is a huge gulf between the Premiership and clubs with ambitions to play at national levels. A black hole, so to speak.
It's all very well investing in grassroots rugby - something I applaud - but the national leagues need help.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 10:32
Come come Tim, that s a very strange response. It's not about you or your blog.

The point is, the RFU isn't going to increase requirements for a tier in rugby which it is trying to move away from professional sport and down into the community game. The fact that clubs who wish to move up the ladder invest all their money into players and as little as possible into facilities follows from that - players buy success on the field, and success on the field buys promotion, Hard standing and shelter from the rain adds to your costs and does little else.

The business model for many of these clubs does not rely on massed numbers of supporters. Parents of large numbers of mini and junior participants provide more significant funding, together with business sponsorship in the affluent areas in which they are located.

As to whether or nor there were complaints about facilities on your blog, that is totally irrelevant to my reply, which was regarding the issue raised in this discussion board. At the ground there were a lot of critical comments about the facilities at BS, as there have been about those at a number of other clubs. That's not criticism of the hospitality of many of their members or of the rugby their team plays.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/01/2018 13:49 by OldNick.

JEH
JEH (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 10:39
Tim
You raise a perfectly legitimate point in a sane and balanced fashion, I read your blog with considerable enjoyment and hope to continue to do so.

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:40
Something people may not be aware of is the responsibility of clubs to provide reasonable facilities for those covered by the Equalities act 2010.. if you’re putting on an event, open to general admission and charging you should, as an organiser make it accessible. Now what is ‘reasonable ‘ is a little bit subjective and a little bit case law. By the sounds of BS, some matting for access and a small elevated platform for chair users would be ‘reasonable ‘.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:51
There was a (home, I think) supporter in a wheelchair at BS. There was a concrete path which was used to access the area around the pitch.
I am not sure where they watched the game from, but obviously it worked for them.

Cov_InPeace
Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:58
Just so that everyone is aware, I've stepped in here to moderate a couple of comments.

I want to be clear here that as someone who works with data for a living, I'm definitely not convinced that it was legally necessary to do so, but I also can't see that the particular issue added anything to the debate.

I think the question here is whether there should be minimum requirements for NL1 clubs in terms of facilities. It's a fair question to my mind. Play on.

Russ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/01/2018 13:22 by Cov_InPeace.

MESSAGES->author
Peter Redhead (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 14:23
As I stated in reply to Tims blog paying supporters/customers have a reasonable right for basic facilities including a sheltered seating area, reasonable access and efficient floodlighting to see the game.
Grounds that decide to kick off at 14:00 hours due to a lack of floodlighting means that often the second half is played in gloomy conditions. Great for those with perfect eyesight but it makes it difficult to follow the match for us mere mortals.
Tims piece was no way a grouse but a reasonable discussion, which I totally agree with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/01/2018 14:41 by Peter Redhead.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 17:10
Didn't mean the post to be controversial, just interested in views about the different and disparate facilities in National League One.
I didn't realise but Darlington play in a 25,000 seat arena - but last week attracted 855 people. They seem to have a great playing set up, but not the support.
I've moaned on Twitter that we should be attracting bigger crowds at the BPA, but we're still the best supported club in the league.
Sadly, most of my support is now being done in Cornwall smiling smiley

elmo's hero's
elmo's hero's (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 23:29
I didn't go to watch Cov Saturday due to the poor facilities. It was a 300 mile round trip for me, and I didn't fancy standing all afternoon getting wet.
It's the first game I've missed this season.
So for me in particular facilities are pretty important, if it was on my doorstep then obviously I would have gone and supported the boys.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 13:07
Quote:
Diesel74
Didn't mean the post to be controversial, just interested in views about the different and disparate facilities in National League One.
I didn't realise but Darlington play in a 25,000 seat arena - but last week attracted 855 people. They seem to have a great playing set up, but not the support.
I've moaned on Twitter that we should be attracting bigger crowds at the BPA, but we're still the best supported club in the league.
Sadly, most of my support is now being done in Cornwall smiling smiley

In fact we are getting better crowds than half the club's in the Championship. It's hard for clubs coming into league 1 to suddenly have facilities as they get next to no funding at this level. Also they would be investing in facilities for a few hundred people that are only used about 15 times a year.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 13:56
Average crowd in NL1 last Saturday 476 with only 2 clubs getting over 500.

Average crowd in Championship last weekend, 1260, with only Bedford and Ealing beating our average home gate this season. Two matches below 1000

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 14:14
Quote:
OldNick
Average crowd in Championship last weekend, 1260

Does that include Bristol's 9000-plus? I suspect not.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 14:19
Quote:
Kimbo
Quote:
OldNick
Average crowd in Championship last weekend, 1260

Does that include Bristol's 9000-plus? I suspect not.

Correct, it hadn’t been uploaded to the Wiki page I used.

richard wilkinson
John Wilkinson (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 14:21
And still to come....Loughborough.....Caldy.....Ampthill.....let's hope for a dry spring.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net