rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tip
Flyde game
Tip (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 17:09
Good to equal try record but in first half where were the decision makers?

Rob C
Re: Flyde game
Rob C (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 17:31
They were there...making all the wrong decisions.

Good last quarter to see us finally play some decent rugby.

Paul Harrison1874
Paul Harrison1874 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 17:46
Core Values. Give credit to our opposition for a good half maybe? No Core Values. Some interesting decisions by Sir, particularly the number of final warnings before he found his yellow card...

Tip
Tip (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 18:00
The only possibility I can think of is acting under instructions. But kicking away in that pitch. I'm perplexed

titchywinger
titchywinger (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 19:51
That muddy pitch was a great leveller. Fylde gave as good as they got for 60 minutes and full credit to them. The floodgates opened eventually and Cov had a comprehensive win at the end. Kicking the ball deep into oppostion territory was probably the best tactics today. Let them catch the slippery ball and start from deep. Did Cov not get a couple of tries through the kick- chase late in the game?

Great stuff Cov. 5 points in the bag.

Front row union
Front row union (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 20:51
I thought that the tactics were right today, kick for territory and play the game in an area where your opponents canít hurt you, if at times the execution wasnít as accurate as it could have been.
Looking at other results today,these conditions certainly seem to be proving to be a leveller, so a great 5 point victory against stubborn opponents.
Hopefully the weather will dry up over the next few weeks, and we can revert back to our open flowing game.

PaulRossborough
PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 21:04
Quote:
Front row union
Hopefully the weather will dry up over the next few weeks, and we can revert back to our open flowing game.

Starting on Loughborough's 3/4/5/6G pitch next week!

All views expressed in this post, are my own

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 21:29
Like a lot of clubs, Fylde raised their game against Cov- and although they were quite a limited side and didnít offer any real attacking threat, they tackled hard and stuck with it. Cov didnít bring their A-game today but our superior fitness told by the end. 5 pointsíll do me.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 21:34
The only other five pointer today appears to have been Blackheath against OA.
No total score at any NL1 match apart from Coventry broke 40 points.
Yes, the conditions everywhere were a great leveller and the only teams to break them, and get a decent win weíre Coventrysnd Blackheath., Coventry by 15 points more than Blackheath.

PaulRossborough
PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 23:17
No real excuse but I feel (even aside from any poor decisions) the ref helped Fylde today on that he seemed to slow the game down massively which was clearly Fyldes game plan. Every scrum took FOREVER to set, even without resets! Advantages were long, the chats with offending players...
In any case, 5 points in what were pretty awful conditions... I'll take that! Oh and our lead is increased by a further point with DMP dropping a bonus point.

All views expressed in this post, are my own

tonker
tonker (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 12:49
solid performance from cov rather than spectacular. hard work for 50 mins due to fyldes efforts and perhaps a lack of direct ball carrying. cov looked a little lightweight in centres & full back without matoto & stokes. white & stokes injected some pace but perhaps fylde were tiring by then.
cov showed good discipline & patience to earn the win.

anyone hear the attendance & mom?

albie
Geoff Kennedy (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 13:40
MOM - George Oram - no arguments on that.
Attendance - 1357

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 11:01
Quote:
PaulRossborough
No real excuse but I feel (even aside from any poor decisions) the ref helped Fylde today on that he seemed to slow the game down massively which was clearly Fyldes game plan. Every scrum took FOREVER to set, even without resets! Advantages were long, the chats with offending players...

And I think he would acknowledge that when he watches the video. It was only his second game at Nat 1, and I don;t think he'd made the mental pace adjustment that was needed for our game, given that his previous experience was a closer matched one where the pace of the game was slower. Our game was always going to be quicker and more expansive with our style of play and he wasn't ready prepared for that.

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:50
Then perhaps relatively inexperienced refs should be blooded in relatively 'easier' mid-table environments when asked to step up the divisions (rather than when top and bottom places are very much at stake?
Anyway, it's done now.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:07
As some of you will be aware, Fylde weren't too enamoured with the ref or Cov staff

[www.fylderugby.co.uk]

Fylde head coach Warren Spragg said: 'ďWe werenít helped by the yellow cards and 3 penalty tries, and that is even harder to stomach when the home sideís director of rugby was talking the officials through the whole thing at the side of the pitch, 50 metres away from the technical area. We are all supposed to stay in this area during the game. Weíve played Coventry twice this season and the behaviour of some of their staff has been appalling on both occasions. I wish them all the best for the rest of the season and Iím sure they will be promoted with a few games to spare, but it would be nice to see them upholding the core values of the game at the same time.Ē

Ouch.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:18
Iíll just point out that a substituted Fylde front row player spent the last fifteen minutes following the grandstand side AR around on the touch line Ďadvisingí him loudly, coaching Fylde pkayers, and shouting abuse at Coventry players.
Worse, he kept getting in my view when I was trying to take photos of the Coventry pressure.

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:37
Hmm. But the DoR was on the tarmac for most of that time, and there's nothing to say he can't do that. Usually he stays in the stand, but the speed at which the yellow cards were produced was a bit slow under the circumstances.

For Mr Spragg to consider that their game plan had "Coventry under pressure and for 50 minutes we had them rattled" might be a bit of a stretch though.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 20:26
Didn't see many core values when their no 8 was effing at the Assistant Ref who didn't concur that he'd been tackled off the ball...

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 20:59
Under pressure? They wouldn't have scored if they were still playing. Didn't have a sniff of our line.

Glass Half Full 1
Glass Half Full 1 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 21:59
To be fair, Fylde had me rattled for 50 minutes and the core report is fine!! Thankfully the Team was more focused than us supporters who expected a bit of a rout. Never felt we were in danger of losing, but credit to Fylde they certainly battled hard to try and deny us the bonus point.

Good photo of the pitch and just how bad it was! Hope we can adapt to the LS pitch!

Onwards and upwards.

Cov_InPeace
Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 08:37
Quote:
Rob C
Didn't see many core values when their no 8 was effing at the Assistant Ref who didn't concur that he'd been tackled off the ball...

That's a bit sad to hear, I thought he looked a really good player. What I genuinely don't understand is why the AR would take it. If he drew the ref's attention to it then presumably there would be a card of some colour forthcoming?

What I wouldn't want to see is the game getting like professional football, where pretty much every single decision is challenged by an act of embarrassing petulance or worse. Imho, the officials can help by not letting it start...

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 10:23
A penalty was awarded for chat straight afterwards, although the ref was talking to another player - he could have been the captain mind you and the penalty might have been awarded for the incident I saw.

Front row union
Front row union (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 14:16
I was sad to read the comments of Mr. Spragg, as he seems to have moved away from the unwritten rugby code of not whinging about officiating or the opposition after the game. Sounds like heís been listening to Arsenne Whinger.
What goes on,on the pitch should also stay on the pitch. I canít believe that he was really that surprised at the yellow cards or the penalty tryís, as from where I was sitting,they seemed well over due, and a long time in coming.
As for the game itself, I donít think that we were ever going to lose,and it was only a matter of time before our domination would be rewarded.
Fair play to Fylde,though, they were stubborn and put up a reasonable force of resistance, but alas,I donít think it will be enough to keep them up.
Did anyone else notice the light hearted kick at the bucket on which one of the Fylde coaches was sitting by Gully.......donít know if this had a bearing on Mr.Spraggs comments,seems a bit petty if it did.

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 14:38
The conversation I had with the referee indicated that it had been suggested to him that the first yellow card (prop) was really quick in coming (1st collapse under the posts) and that the second was as slow coming as the first had been quick.

Third one seemed right, and the yellow cards felt about right to me, once the first had been issued.

The bucket kick was all about the Fylde players asking the ball boy for a match ball to warm up with. Poor kid wouldn't have known any different (and being asked by a player (who was a 15 stone prop forward) if he can have the ball will result in him being given the ball!).

Nothing more than that really

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 14:52
I'm with Front Row Union on this.
Here's a little blog about dissent creeping in, including some thoughts about the Fylde coach's comments.
[markdieselforster.wordpress.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 14:59 by Diesel74.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net