That is an incredible result
Straightout (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 20:23
Most people predicted a tight loss at best. Unbelievable performance

PaulRossborough
Re: That is an incredible result
PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 20:48
I do not understand why anyone thought we would lose today? I was expecting a 5-0 (league points) win, with a number of tries thrown in. Ok, I expected to ship a few points but otherwise i was full of confidence. As I have stated elsewhere, DMP's results haven't been that good and the figures on the league table suggest their wins have been quite close.

All views expressed in this post, are my own

Nige H
Nige H (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 21:09
I thought we would win, but never thought we would nil them.

To a man today, IMO this was the best performance of the season, considering we were away, and to the 2nd best team in the league, who were unbeaten at home this season.

An awesome defence, and the right tactics were the keys today, combined some clinical finishing was the difference.

Well done to the whole of the squad. The fat lady hasn’t sung yet, but she’s certainly warming up her vocal chords. 😄

Nigel

Front row union
Front row union (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 21:18
I was quietly confident that we would pick up a 5-0 points win today,but the manner in which it was achieved did surprise me.
My prediction had been for a 33-21 victory,but all credit to the squad and management team for masterminding such a complete professional performance.
I’m so proud to be a Cov supporter at the moment, and take great satisfaction in spreading the word of what entertainment is being served up by this club.....long may it continue.

Straightout
Straightout (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 21:38
Paul, we sneaked past Loughborough Who were maybe slightly the better side, beat Old E’s by 4 points and were pretty lucky as admitted by our own staff, were thrashed by blackheath Who scored 10 tries, this together with Darlington unbeaten at home for a long time 42 - 0 is an incredible result. A tight win maybe if we played superbly but to win 42 nil is an incredible result and an outstanding achievement and not in tune with other results on our travels. Hence why they were slight albeit v slight favourites. Awesome

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 21:44
Well what a fantastic result, I knew we were capable of beating them but would have to be better than some of our performances on the road (Blackheath and Loughborough). Well it looks like we saved our best for the best and smashed them. Still some hard games ahead but lets go and win them all now...no room for complacency at Caldy. Well done to everyone at the club.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 21:50
I think most anticipated a tight game but were fairly hopeful of a win. Not sure how you gleaned that most people thought a tight loss was our best prospect?

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 21:59
I think we need 15 points for promotion if Darlington get their maximum 40 points in their last 8 games.

Straightout
Straightout (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 22:02
I think they were slight favourites due to the results I highlighted. They are v rarely beaten at home and Coventry have sneaked some wins on the road against mid table teams. Mentality clearly comes into it and playing Loughborough and old E’s is not the same for top players but 42 - 0 is a phenomenal achievement against a team almost unbeatable at home at this level. They don’t lose. Put neatly 50 on Moseley and are well drilled with falcons players drafted in at will..

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 22:21
Did we ‘Blackheath’ them and knock the wind out of their sails in the first quarter? I wasn’t there today, but I noticed last night that DMP’s Newcastle Falcons DR winger Adam Radwan was chosen at 15, but has only played full back a few times before. I didn’t know whether Mowden’s coach was trying something different - it obviously failed if he did.

Tip
Tip (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 22:25
Yes a fantastic result and I think and hope we will get promoted but many a slip twix cup and lip!!

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 22:50
Quote:
HoboAl
I think we need 15 points for promotion if Darlington get their maximum 40 points in their last 8 games.
14'll do it.

covkid53
covkid53 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 23:44
I would have settled for a minimum 2 bonus point loss, while hoping for a win of any kind. A massive win and stretches the lead to astronomical proportions at the top of the league. It has made my weekend and Championship rugby now almost a nailed on formality. The gap is so wide, we would need to lose our final 7 games and DMP or Plymouth to win 5 or 6 from 7. i.e 5.x 5 plus 2 bonus point defeats.

Been stuck in this league so long I can't quite believe it.

jnjmaxwell@hotmail.com
Maxee (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 00:41
Wow. What a result. Congratulations to the team, support staff, management and a BIG hand to the travelling support.

Promotion will almost certainly be sealed in March. Possibly on a weekend we’re not even playing should DMP slip up at Cambridge (which would cement the bond we seem to be enjoying with Rowland’s old club)!

Any other message board readers in Australia who’d like to plan a mini celebration should things go to plan from here on in??!!

CharlieBravo
25 February, 2018 06:20
Thanks for the thought, Maxee. I would love to take you up on that invitation - we're in the middle of a two month holiday in Oz and NZ at the moment, and tonight and tomorrow nights we're in Wellington before traveling up and around the North Island for three weeks.
I've been avidly glued to the results and all day today I've had a variety of descriptive words for the match result going through my mind, including fantastic, amazing, brilliant, extraordinary, etc, etc. It's enhanced my enjoyment of NZ so much more.

captainscarlet
25 February, 2018 07:59
Over 1800 people crammed into the Dmp stadium(season best attendance),which holds 25000.The sun may of been on the other side of the ground, but everyone connected with COV was glowing with pride. like a ready brek advert .Scoring in the first couple of minutes, certainly knocked the home crowd for six. Better was to come, DMP had a very long period of attack camped in the 22.Wave after wave was stopped by this inpenetrable seawall,constructed by 15 men from Coventry rugby.If this had been breached at this point, most people agreed the game may of taken a different route.
Better to come ,were tries on the far side with Max Trimble on fire with speed.The local announcer was doing his repeated best to encourage the local supporters to be vocal and noisy and support their team. No matter how many times they blew their air horn Covs defence reigned supreme.Hit after hit,Luke Narraways defensive tactics and training were carried out to the letter.Half time came with looks of amazement on the cov supporters faces,20 odd points ahead..no body could of imagined it.
Couple of minutes into the second half and cov score again, nullifying any team talk from DMP coaches.Changes and use of the bench came aplenty still the defence stood firm.The pressure took its toll on dmp with further scores against. The smiles from the cov bench were getting wider and wider and the supporters were on cloud 9.The final whistle went and the team and supporters were ecstatic at what they had achieved.Taken DMPs unbeaten home record away, scored over 40 points, nilled them and for all intensive purposes,bar a catastrophie promoted back into the championship. For Cov supporters, that moment had arrived...we have waited and suffered for too long. Darlingtons team and supporters just didnt know how to cope with this AWESOME win, they were totally shell shocked.
Thankyou to all players and coaches etc , this was a game that all cov fans who were there will never forget.

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 15:35
Great post Mark.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net