rugbyunion
Latest News:

tonker
yesterdays game
tonker (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 08:58
very good performance by cov yesterday given the conditions and effort from the opposition. cov dominated most areas tho OE's had plenty possession particularly in the first half, but rarely looked like breaking cov down much praise must go the forwards giving cov clean ball and go forward. difficult to pick anyone out but daynes had a storming game for me.
cov showed that they can perform without the so called 'galaticos'.
a good atmosphere though there was some frustration with the referees incessant whistling in the fist 20 mins or so, despite less than 1500 being there.
with the results elsewhere even the pessimists me included,can now almost feel the title, but lets not celebrate yet!
roll on cov.

captainscarlet
Re: yesterdays game
11 March, 2018 09:20
Just as tim has mentioned in his blog, his concerns over attendances..i have similar concerns.The wasp effect is far more than anyone thinks.If you cant come to watch COV when they are scoring fun, with an attractive brand of rugby. Setting club and league records, locally born player scoring hatricks...top of the table about to win the league. The surge in attendances that i thought would happen after xmas has not materialised.
Yes england were playing france at 445, but no wasps game this weekend. There hadnt been a home game for a few weeks also...i hope they have got the forecasted figures for attendances next season right.
Well done to the team in beating OEs, but shame on you referee for totally spoiling the game with stoppage after stoppage.
THE COVENTRY RUGBY CLUB deserves more people to come and watch them in the few remaining home games, finally all the heart ache and hard work is about to pay off. We are coming out of the tunnel and arriving at the destination we have longed to get back to.
BE THERE.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 10:00
Just as Cov suffered years back by not embracing professionalism, are we now suffering from not enticing younger supporters to BPA?
I looked around me yesterday and struggled to see anyone other than middle to old age gentlemen. I confess I stand on the far side and the main stand might attract more of a mixed crowd but we certainly don't seem able to attract the family support that Wasps do.

richard wilkinson
John Wilkinson (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 10:55
The club is very aware of this, I can assure you, and there is a lot in the pipeline to entice a younger audience, both in terms of how the season is finished off and moving forward to next season, particularly the use of social media, video technology etc. Watch this space.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 11:49
That's good news John. As you point out, the platforms are there to promote rugby at BPA.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 12:30
Comedy value to yesterday's game, although some may disagree, was the OE's youngsters following the touch lineo up and down the pitch in the second half.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 12:38
Quote:
Moosemagic
Comedy value to yesterday's game, although some may disagree, was the OE's youngsters following the touch lineo up and down the pitch in the second half.

Were they with OEs? Whoever they were, they were polite, and did exactly what they were told when Hannah told them to keep well back on the tarmac path when they started to get in the way a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 12:38 by OldNick.

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 16:16
Coventry City were at home yesterday, attendance of 7,000ish - that may account in some small way for a reduced attendance at the BPA. In my opinion Coventry is very much a football city, I think that if CCFC were a successful club playing in the Prem/Champ, Wasps attendance wouldn't be what they are (17,000 average). Of course Wasps may not even be in Coventry if CCFC were being run properly, but we are where we are.

As far as the Wasps experience is concerned:- the Premiership is where you see international players, you can see replays and TMO on the big screen, there's a countdown clock so you can see how much time is left, you can purchase a 'fan radio' where you can listen to the referee during the match. I think a large part of the attraction is that the Premiership is a 'show' - flags handed out to the kids before the match, fireworks, music etc. What youngster wouldn't like that sort of thing? Earlybird tickets for 17-21 year olds cost from £12. I know people at my work who now attend Wasps regularly rather than Cov & Moseley who they used to watch. It's going to be tough to grow the support, but I'm sure the club will have some great ideas on how to bring more people through the turnstiles.

captainscarlet
11 March, 2018 17:16
Strange people say cov is a football town, but cast your mind back to cov v newcastle and the following week when a 1st/2nd team played bath under the floodlights on a friday night, where over 6,000 attended.

Straightout
Straightout (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 17:55
I think if wasps hadnít landed there would be much more interest in Cov. Wasps has taken away people who are not hard core Cov fans like us but Who would have come along to follow the success story. I sometimes chat to old friends who passively follow rugby in my day to day to travels and they are not really aware of the Covís amazing season and because of wasps they do not really care. Itís a shame but wasps have grabbed the passive fan who likes success and it makes Cov less attractive because we have gone from being the best team in England in the 70s to third tier and now we are rising again a team with British lions and England players is three miles up the road so they donít care much about Covs revival and what we know as real quality players at this level. We love the likes of stokes, dacres, Stevens etc and are proud how good they are and we feel nothing for wasps but there is prob around 4 or 5000 passive rugby fans who now would not care about these players and see a British lion wing up the road. This will make it hard for Cov to grow fans but there is still the 2000 hard core following that really FEELS something special when Mark gets the Coventry chant going and it still makes me feel v proud when the team feels this roar. Wasps wonít have this connection for a generation or two but they will get it in the end I suspect with children growing up etc supporting them. Cov to us is a far better experience but 1400 people coming yesterday when we are playing incredibly well is not helped at all by wasps for the reasons above. As has been mentioned on other threads the age of our fans is much older but the passive fan as well as kids has drifted off. I personally get nothing from watching wasps but love Cov, england and the British lions. I am massively excited about the future and who we will sign next year from the championship and still read this site everyday and all the blogs but some of my friends who used to like local rugby could not care.. but we will love it! I canít wait for last couple of games of season at home this year and to hear that roar. Itís 2000 people but v special

MESSAGES->author
Peter Redhead (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 19:05
Agree Coventry to me is my Club in Coventry, have played junior rugby in the city but always looked up as Coventry being the major club.
Wasps to me are an import from Coventry council as a spin off from their dispute from Coventry Football club. Subsidised by Coventry rate payers who have been led up by the garden path. The present team leading the rebirth of Coventry Rugby is to be applauded and is a fantastic achievement for Coventry.. Bring on the championship.

Paul Ingleston
Paul Ingleston (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 19:10
Well said Straightout. Like you, my only passion is for Cov and their success and drive from it. These are special times that we should share and cherish. It will be a special bond for us all. To share in something that is just around the corner will be very special for us all. I have been up to Wasps for three or four games and have yet to be captivated by it all. Excitement for me, it is not.
My son is part of their community departments excellent work with SEN children and is to be applauded, and this is how I have been lucky enough to have taken him to games. But, as my son once said, ďItís okay Dad, but itís not Cov is it?Ē That for me encapsulated all that I wanted it to be . A legacy approach.
My glass is always half-full. It needs to be aĎ hearts and mindsí approach, perhaps typified by the voice in Fields of Dreams, ď build it and he will comeĒ. Only by building on our current success will we get a rise in attendances, but we can all play our part, little by little. Wear your Cov colours around the city, your shirts, your badges and such. As a parting comment, it is growing. On CRSC coaches this season we do have families, young families , travelling with us. Long may that continue to grow. But, as I have said before, we should cherish this moment , be part of it and embrace it. That 2000 hardcore support will grow, but we will have shared this special moment in our lives together.

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 21:05
Quote:
bigm/ mark harrison.
Strange people say cov is a football town, but cast your mind back to cov v newcastle and the following week when a 1st/2nd team played bath under the floodlights on a friday night, where over 6,000 attended.

That wa a generation ago Mark. Someone born in that week will be turning 22 this year. I donít know what the attendances were for the rest of the season, but CCFCís average was circa 19,500 in 96/97, where they finished fourth from bottom. This season, in the fourth tier of the leagues, with owners that are universally despised throughout the city, they average 7,000ish. Thatís why I say Cov is a football City.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 21:10 by Wazeroonie.

markoddy
Mark (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 21:39
Saturday 3pm kick offs are good for us regulars but the missing generation in the crowd and their kids to some extent could be involved in local games and still playing.
I know quite a few that pop down if they aren't playing but can't attend regularly.
It's a difficult one to get 20s to early 30s there. Especially at 3pm

captainscarlet
11 March, 2018 21:50
And where have those missing fans gone, week in week out for the football.Many thousands to WASPS.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 22:48
Quote:
bigm/ mark harrison.
And where have those missing fans gone, week in week out for the football.Many thousands to WASPS.

Sport the traditional working man's release from graft. Monday to Friday, overtime Saturday morning, knock off, a couple of beers and straight to the game...those days have long gone. So many ways people can spend their leisure time now and in the last 5 years many people's pay has stagnated.

It's a challenge for the club. I say to all regular supporters try and introduce a friend to a game at the Butts Co v v Rosslyn. Our club is in our hands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 07:07 by HoboAl.

timdouglas1
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 04:11
HoboAl makes a very interesting point about most people having stagnated pay through work. A lot of people haven't got the resources with money as they might have had a few seasons ago. I took a bit of time to look at admission prices for Championship teams, and there was quite an interesting spread. Most teams are around the £13-£15 bracket. Granted, I am not too sure of what the facilities are like, or if they have good post match entertainment like we do at Cov, and I am not sure how much food and drink comes to. However, I really do hope Cov freeze the prices for next season.
We know for sure it is going to be tough, and yes, I accept we are not quite there just yet, but if we do make it, and if we have 6 games, and say for example 5 defeats in those games, maybe the curious ones who want to know what this division is all about won't be too down heartened and come again if they feel they are not being hit too hard in the pocket.
Jon Sharp has done a fantastic job with running the club so far, and I can only promise I am not trying to advise him on how to run a club, but I hope he keeps admission affordable for all

MESSAGES->author
Bono546 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 11:06
It may have been said but in the Championship games are spread over the weekend, Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. On its own some stalwarts may not be able to make Friday or Sunday but this will be where the current active Saturday afternoon players will come down to watch hopefully. Televised games are increasing from the championship and this could also reduce attendances especially on a freezing Friday night.
Imho I think attendances will stagnate unless we see a Coventry side winning in the Championship.

Mick J Shaw
Mick J Shaw (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 11:14
Can cov request their home matches are played on Saturday's

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 11:49
Coventry can decide that their home matches are played on Saturday. No need to request.

Other clubs can decide that their home matches are played on Friday nights, or Sundays, if they so prefer.

Mick J Shaw
Mick J Shaw (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 12:10
With only 11 home matches next season at the moment, unless the old farts at the RFU sort out an alternative to the B&I cup, playing Fridays or Sundays will probably affect attendances

MESSAGES->author
Kimbo (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 12:46
I don't think that's an issue Mick. We experimented with 'alternative' KOs some years ago.
It failed.

Anyway, it's 3pm (or thereabouts) Saturdays for me or else I very likely won't be there - and I guess many more will think the same.

I'd have to think very carefully about renewing my season ticket too.

richard wilkinson
John Wilkinson (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 13:54
Televised games are played on Sundays, I believe - revenue loss if Cov say no, and can they say no?

Front row union
Front row union (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 15:20
I think that this debate will run and run until it becomes a reality.
For me, I much prefer the Saturday 3.00 options, but I know several people that wouldnít attend,as they play or watch grass roots sports, I was one, many years ago in my younger days.
Playing at other times,would attract people, and, would also stop others from watching, so itís a difficult one.
Iíve introduced several people to Cov this season, and they have really enjoyed the experience, but they donít all attend regularly...yet...
Spreading the word of a great match day experience that we get at Cov is the way forward for me,until it becomes part of the weekend sporting ritual.

covkid53
covkid53 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 16:34
Quote:
OldNick
Coventry can decide that their home matches are played on Saturday. No need to request.
Other clubs can decide that their home matches are played on Friday nights, or Sundays, if they so prefer.

The club already gets gates up to around the 3rd placed team in the Championship. If we do well I can foresee an average of over 2,000 with sell outs playing a big club. Remember 4500 against Quinnís ? Butts Park Tickets are cheaper than the Ricoh and Cov are the team with the City name. Wasps are a nuisance, but Coventry is a big enough city to support both when taking Warwickshire into the mix in terms of catchment, there is potential to build further imho.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net