rugbyunion
Latest News:

captainscarlet
incredible no posts either way
15 April, 2018 11:44
11.30 sunday and no posts about the game.It obviously doesnt matter how we play now, nobody dare be critical.
Yes that was the weakest squad we have put out this season, but we have strength in depth.The officials made some interesting decisions which led to yellow cards especially stokes card just for attacking the ball the same as the defender.
We looked tired from the onset, the line speed was well below par.Defence was immense during the first half.It was more like two heavy weight boxers slugging it out.We were giving away far too many penalties especially second half. There was very little penetration by anyone which was restricted by the amount of ball we had. But that was as much our fault for kicking it away too many times to raise the defensive line.When tactics dont work you need to change them on the field.
It was a below par performance last week against park , so the writing was on the wall.This wasnt a Blackheath,but with DMP itching to turn us over next week and Hull performing miracles to stay in the division....covs backs are well and truly against the wall.
I found it strange we werent getting more liquids on especially second half when players were going down with what appeared to be cramp in some cases.
I hope scott tolmie is feeling better today following a clash of heads.Kwaku came on for last 20 mins or so and did very well on two occasions in defence saving tries.There may well be spots for the coaches on the team next week with more injuries during the game. FOLLOWING CLASH OF HEADS

Diesel74
Re: incredible no posts either way
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 13:39
Yes, have found it a bit strange, the comparative silence.
I guess people don't know what to say.
We've won by playing well and putting in the hard yards all season. We've now lost twice and weren't at the races yesterday. Every team suffers that and if there was illness, it's understandable.
But hopefully the players and the coaches will put their hands up - as Rowland Winter has already done - and consider the response come Saturday.
Mark

John Butler
John Butler (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 15:02
The match report is on the official site.
Worth mentioning here, but not an excuse, four of the squad were not at all well on arrival at Ampthill; did not become known until after the game, which might explain one or two areas.
However, as is being said, DMP will not be coming down just for the ride !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 15:02 by John Butler.

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 17:08
I had in my mind that Cov were penalised more than Ampthill yesterday, but I was surprised to read that both teams conceded 12 penalties. Cov just didn't do well enough to make or take any chances. The players toiled for the 80-odd minutes, without really getting anywhere. I thought Nile's yellow looked a bit harsh from a distance, while Pete's was deserved unfortunately - he was getting more frustrated as the match went on and boiled over. I didn't see the Stokes yellow tackle as I was too busy with the fact that Ampthill had 16 men on the field making their way down almost the length of the pitch. With the fact that we had quite long spells of not having the ball, when we did get the ball it was kicked away to relieve pressure - but giving the opposition the chance to attack again, with not enough pressure on the opposition catcher of the kicks.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 17:16
Champions.

Phil Reynolds

timdouglas1
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:48
Admittedly, I wasn't at the game yesterday. An admin error left me 300 short in my wages, so I just couldn't afford to go. So from an outside looking in point of view, let's get some things into perspective. We have been absolutely brilliant this season. We have a fantastic coach, and we are being run the right way. For goodness sake, we will be in the Championship next season. We had about 7 first team regulars unavailable yesterday, and by all accounts, some players with a virus, so it was always going to be difficult. We are a very good team, and we are going to get better and better over he next few years. In 2 weeks time, we are going to see Phil Boulton lift the Division 1 trophy, so lets all start celebrating a bright new future

Gwarn Cov!!!!

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 21:03
Quote:
timdouglas1
Admittedly, I wasn't at the game yesterday. An admin error left me 300 short in my wages, so I just couldn't afford to go. So from an outside looking in point of view, let's get some things into perspective. We have been absolutely brilliant this season. We have a fantastic coach, and we are being run the right way. For goodness sake, we will be in the Championship next season. We had about 7 first team regulars unavailable yesterday, and by all accounts, some players with a virus, so it was always going to be difficult. We are a very good team, and we are going to get better and better over he next few years. In 2 weeks time, we are going to see Phil Boulton lift the Division 1 trophy, so lets all start celebrating a bright new future
Gwarn Cov!!!!

I don't think people are disputing any of that. I don't think people are particularly moaning. Ampthill deserved their win and they can only beat what is in front of them. Despite injuries our line up was good enough even the bench. In the first half we didn't dominate but we matched them and got our noses in front. In the second half we didn't execute things well, ran out of ideas and got frustrated. We looked tired at the end and were down to 13 and Ampthill might of had 16 at one point on the pitch? Yesterday was a tough game, but we fell below the standards set this season. The basics let us down, decision making, kicking possession away, failing to keep ball, silly penalties and most uncharacteristically at about 5 of our line outs the ball went straight through. The virus may have played a part. We have two hard home games to finish and it will be interesting to see how the squad reacts. We may be Champions but we clearly have (from several away games I have been to) certain areas we must improve on to be effective in the Championship. It's not being negative but realistic. But I am sure we will enjoy the rest of this season and next.

abdabs99rugby
abdabs (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 12:34
Not one for making excuses and we were below par and the Ref certainly didn't help but when Knoxy came off he went round the back of the tent and was violently ill!. At half time Winter was trying to get people to drink as much fluid as they could so there was obviously something wrong. When Knoxy and Tolmie went off we seemed to go off our game plan. Whites yellow was just out of frustration...he was clearly being obstructed from getting the ball out and the Refs lack of action led to him lashing out. Reffed correctly it would have been a penalty to us instead we went down to 13 men and Pritchard slotted 3 points.Unfortunately despite the squad shortages, ref and illness they just wanted it more than we did.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net