rugbyunion
Latest News:

Coventry Rugby Supporters Club
Inside Out - next edition
Cliff Bennett (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 07:06
The Inside Out series continues with this months feature being Anthony Matoto and can be found on the CRSC website under the 'Posts' tab, or, by clicking on the link below.

We hope you find the article both interesting & informative.

Clicky thing

Thank you, on behalf of Coventry Rugby Supporters' Club.

Nige H
Re: Inside Out - next edition
Nige H (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 12:12
I know this is going to sound a bit critical, and obviously someone has put in a lot of time and effort for this well written piece. But I do find it odd why of all the players there's an article on, its a player that has left the club, and as much as an impact he had, was here less than a season.

Surely it would have been far more appropriate for an article to be written on a new player or an established player?

So before anyone jumps on my back for being critical, I'm only being critical of the choice of a player that has left, not the quality of the article, nor the time of the volunteer that put it together. Sadly it seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Nigel

PaulRossborough
PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 13:10
Or what if this was the first of several?

All views expressed in this post, are my own

Nige H
Nige H (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 13:28
Hi Paul, do you mean ..The first of several ... articles on players who have left??
That would be even more odd.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 15:29
Hi Nige - I'm behind the piece and the initial idea and no problems about being critical.
But I'll let you into my/our way of thinking - if that's okay.

This is written for the Supporters' Club website and, of course, Cov themselves have their '15 questions with series' to introduce new players to a wider audience.

Rowland Winter was the first interview, because, as a supporter, I wanted to know more about him than I had read anywhere else. I want to do things differently and bring more of the interviewee to the fore.

I've talked to RW about our plans and he's happy but both sides don't want to double up on interviews. And I felt it was only right that Cov got first bite of that cherry.

Of all the players who left after last season, Anthony Matoto was the one we didn't get the chance to say goodbye to. So, while a touch leftfield, I thought it was a good opportunity to speak to him about his experiences at Cov. As you agree, he made an impact and was only here a short time.

And I thought his story was fascinating and unusual.

Hopefully, the Inside Out series will continue - with interviews planned for new signings, development squad guys, established first teamers and those who work tirelessly behind the scenes for our club.

I'm also hoping to introduce some more interviews with former players, from down the years - guys that put a lot of blood, mud, sweat and beers into Coventry Rugby smiling smiley - although that might find its own section on the website. Hopefully, we'll be able to rope some other writers in, and my old CET colleague Steve Evans wrote a beautiful tribute to Harry Walker for the Supporters' Club website last month.

My initial process was to write what wasn't being written. Simple, eh?

I'd be interested to hear what you'd like to see - some of it would be Cov Rugby's remit, and the new media man there, Tom Branston, who also posts on this forum. Some of it, we might be able to take up for the Supporters' Club.

Mark

Nige H
Nige H (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 15:50
Hi Mark

Thanks for that, and im glad you to took my post in the spirit it was intended, particularly as im an ex member of the committee.

As for suggestions, although im sure its been written about elsewhere, the new player, whos name escapes me right now, who had the experience with testicular cancer. That would be an interesting read, and one that would serve as a positive message for others too.

Or maybe "a week in the life of Eric Richardson" our groundsman and general legend who does everything from the pitch to catering. We all see what the pitch looks like, but im sure none of us actually knows what really goes on to get it looking that's way, nor all the other responsibilities he has away from making the pitch look good.

Hope you find those suggestions useful? :-)

nige

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 16:10
Hi Nige and thanks for those.

Eric is on my hitlist. And yes, his work is astounding.

And re: criticism. In 30 years of journalism, I got all sorts thrown at me so not to worry. And hopefully the Supporters' Club can be the right vehicle for stuff like this. It does such a lot of great work behind the scenes. Ultimately, it's all about Coventry Rugby and widening the audience.

There was a lot of interest in the RW interview, arguably wider than we normally see for the CRSC website and Cov Rugby.

With the Inside Out series, we're trying to throw out some interesting reads - and the interest comes across in the comments of the interviewee. This latest Anthony Matoto piece hit those parameters - I hope.

And I've seen the article shared on social media to audiences that will judge it on content than any particular knowledge of Cov Rugby. For me, that can only be a good thing.

But the main thrust of the articles will be the supporters of this club that has given me such joy and heartache for pretty much half a century.

Mark

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 16:22
I found it to be a good and welcome article that was well written. The more information about the club and staff the better as far as I am concerned. The CRSC not wanting to duplicate the club's output is a valid point. Also Matoto's situation was an interesting one and unusual.

I would enjoy some interviews with the club's stars from the past. Keep up the good work.

Cov_InPeace
Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 20:39
Might have been a touch left-field but it's a great read Mark, and really illuminating.

Matoto sounds like a terrific bloke, as so many of the Pacific Islanders are - down to earth, honest, and rock-solid players. Moving for the sake of his family is exactly what I'd expect of a man of his quality and whilst it's our loss I'd love him to do well in the next phase of his career.

It would be great to see him back at the BPA at some point in the future, if not as a player then as part of the Cov family; he's earned his membership. smiling smiley

Cheers for taking the time to write and share it.

Russ.

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 11:04
I thought it was a great article, learning something about Anthony regardless of whether he had left the club. 12 tries in 18 matches was a good return from him in our promotion push.

I'm sure we all Google the new arrivals as soon as their names are rumoured or announced, and some players have more of an online presence than others. Google Darren Dawiduik for instance (Nige), and there will be quite a bit about him as he has played at a few higher profile clubs. There's also articles about his battle with cancer. So we feel we know a little bit about these players - and in some small way get to know them. Players with less online presence are harder to get to know, so something like this is vital for us to get to know all the players.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net