Diesel74
A view of today's performance v Pirates
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 18:34

HoboAl
Re: A view of today's performance v Pirates
HoboAl (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 21:01
You can't turn down points in this league. Even last year we more often than not failed with our catch and drive. We need to start learning and fast.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 07:00
Can't argue with that, HoboAl. I also felt the overuse of box kicks - while potentially a great 'exit strategy'- went against us. They didn't 'work' and just handed possession and momentum over to Pirates. It was as if we didn't have other plans, yet when we ran with ball in hand we posed problems. If we had the patience to build rather than expect miracles each time things may have been different.
Mark

CharlieBravo
10 September, 2018 07:43
It’s been a long time, going back to before RW’s time, since I last saw Cov play as poorly as they did yesterday. The number of unforced errors was ridiculous - knock ons, forward passes, crossing, closing the line, wild passes not finding their man, etc, etc. Pirates aren’t world beaters but they were clinical when the opportunities arose. Yet again Pete White injected some improvement in pace and dynamism, but it was not as effective as in previous games because of the imbalance caused by players having to play out of position following injuries. This was an eminently forgettable game but one from which Cov can learn a great deal and can only get better.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 07:47
Cliff, I just posted this on my Twitter:
Slept little last night, upset from @CoventryRugby's loss to Pirates. Forget the official tagline of 'Your City, Your Club', it's my city and my club - our city and our club. Backing them to put things right next week. No doubts about these boys and what they're capable of.
I'm critical of the performance, but they deserve our support, starting with Bedford.
Mark

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 08:05
Quote:
Diesel74
Cliff, I just posted this on my Twitter:
Slept little last night, upset from @CoventryRugby's loss to Pirates. Forget the official tagline of 'Your City, Your Club', it's my city and my club - our city and our club. Backing them to put things right next week. No doubts about these boys and what they're capable of.
I'm critical of the performance, but they deserve our support, starting with Bedford.
Mark

I think something like 770 season tickets (about double on last year) shows people are prepared to to support the lads. Bedford, third last year, will be another tough examination home or not. We have a tough start 5th 4th and 3rd but there is harder to come in Ealing and Irish..

You need 9 or 10 wins just to survive in this league, so little room for error at home. Yes a lot of ability in our squad, but last year we could be sloppy and still put points on the board. I don't think you will see much of that this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2018 08:08 by HoboAl.

tomthepom
tomthepom (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 09:22
Quote:
HoboAl

You need 9 or 10 wins just to survive in this league, so little room for error at home. Yes a lot of ability in our squad, but last year we could be sloppy and still put points on the board. I don't think you will see much of that this year.

With respect HA, your '9 or 10 wins' line doesn't represent what's happened in recent seasons on this division. That number of wins would typically get a side somewhere around mid-table; last season Bedford registered 11 wins and finished third, albeit with a big haul of BPs.

Since the relegation play-offs were scrapped after 2011/12, the team finishing 'last-but-one' in the table has survived by winning either 5 or 6 games...

CharlieBravo
10 September, 2018 17:01
Have no fear, Mark, my support for Cov remains undiminished. I simply wrote what I considered to be realistic assessment of the game, purely from my personal point of view.

PaulRossborough
PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 14:27
So we had a few injuries on Saturday, are these players likely to be out for the Bedford match, does anyone know?

All views expressed in this post, are my own

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 15:35
Quote:
PaulRossborough
So we had a few injuries on Saturday, are these players likely to be out for the Bedford match, does anyone know?

I've heard nothing yet, and am not qualified in any way to comment, but noticed that at the end of the match David H had an ankle iced and was using a crutch, while Stokes had neither but was limping. Otherwise some people looked battered/stitched, but nothing particular stood out.

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 06:57
Rowland gave some details of changes - some enforced, some on form, but Stokesey, Heath and David H are all out based on injury and not quite having had long enough to recover (Heath was concussed), Vossy is still with us, Shapey starts at 10 with Maisey on the bench, Nuts starts as well. Fenns starts at 15. Mr Utility.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net