rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
tonker
todays game
tonker (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:45
cracking game today, so proud of the cov boys to hold out for the win against a big bedford pack who came on strong in the second half.
hard to pick out any of the forwards cos they all put in a huge shift but ram & peters worked tirelessly. sharp had a good game despite what could have been a costly, backed up by the two centres who tackled ferociously. knox carried well and junior was elusive with limited ball.
bedford stuck largely to a forward orientated game and pressured cov to win a stream of penalties which were kicked to the corner but largely defended well by cov. they also used the cross kick to good effect to score two tries.
slightly disappointing crowd at 2058 but they were treated to battle royal.
well done cov, enjoy a beer tonight1

Diesel74
Re: todays game
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:09
Well, that crowd is up on average for last season (or at least without the last game), so that's good to see.
Coventry are building and learning, not quite able to impose themselves on teams as yet. That will come.
It's another win in the bag. Not so bad for the new boys. Two from three.
Mark

Tip
Tip (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:12
Brilliant first half, pack magnificent, wonderful defence when down to forteen men. A true team performance!!

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:25
Not sure my heart will last this season. Great team performance much like the Jersey game in terms of backs to the wall defence.
We need to learn fast, however, just why we're being so heavily penalised at rucks and mauls. It's going to cost us heavily if the problem persists. Having said that I felt, once again, that a fair few opposition indescretions went unpunished.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 20:11
It was a great game today as a team. Just when we looked like we were starting to canter needless silly errors (I am not talking 50/50 judgements) put us under pressure. But good game management saw us through in the end. Most people focused on Sharp's erratic kicking but some of his passing was superb.

We are looking very promising and it is early doors. This is a tough league, but I feel after two games I have had value for money on my season ticket already.

zinzanh
zinzanh (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 21:05
Beating Jersey and Bedford in our first two home games of our promotion season are surely a sign of the quality that we have at the club. Long may it continue. C'MON COV.

incastrowetrust
Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 21:23
How's Voss looking?

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 22:04
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
How's Voss looking?

Top notch.

markoddy
Mark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 22:08
Awful. No point going back to Leicester

markoddy
Mark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 22:14
Performance was great, BUT what is going on with pre match hype , Jersey , music build it up.... Today death droll... Absolutely f all
. Get the crowd wound up for the players sake.
A half hearted Coovvenntrry isnt inspiring ,,, lets go crash bang wallop into it .

PaulRossborough
PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 06:50
I thought it was another very exciting match today. Cov played well, in the most part and whilst it wasn't the finished article, there were some decent displays. I felt Sharp played well although I need some convincing on his place kicking and from hand. Bulumakau brothers are very similar, they want the ball and when they get it, their feet come alive. Knox did well when he got the ball, Renner never seems to go backwards, odd for someone to small! Some poor defence let them in at least twice. Tighten up there as qell as our penalty count, and we will be better. Speaking of penalties, we gave some silly ones away. New combinations still, all over so once they get used to one another they will improve. Very impressed with the on the line (down to 14) defence again. These were not 'second string' backs... they're squad players who can fit in when required. As RW has said before, we are blessed with a match day 22 and some, so we shouldn't worry when the likes of Big Dave or James Stokes are out (I understand both will be available next week). Just an observation... I've watched Cov play two games in this league.. the difference in physique/bulk/weight between our pack and the two others must have been a few stones... other than Gibbons and Beech I think we were smaller and probably lighter in every position. With this in mind, it will be more difficult in scrums and defending mails...

Oh and disappointing crowd I thought. Why? What needs to be done to get bigger numbers? Advertise on radio, newspapers etc... I guess free social media won't do it all.

All views expressed in this post, are my own

PaulRossborough
16 September, 2018 07:10
Forgot to say, Adam Peters is proving to be a decent player and Ben Nutley, whilst he was injured again today, I feel we saw what he's capable of today both in attack and breakdown.

Straightout
Straightout (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 07:39
Yes the crowd was a bit dissapointing. Wonder if the 20 quid puts non season ticket holders off.. I was hoping for nearer 3000 against the bigger teams. London Irish will be interesting. Doesnít help City being at home nearly everytime as that would take a few who watch both. Sunderland at home I believe when we play Irish although a 12.30 kick off.. I was v suprised how quiet it was in the bar afterwards. In the league below there were lots more. Shame for the players. They get our great backing but do wonder how we will crack more than the loyal 2000 ish.. I guess itís still a minority sport and that is still one of the bigger crowds in the division. I just see the huge potential but step by step I guess. Agree with all the comments on the players. Knoxy stepped it up and was hungrier and more himself. Young Luc showed all well too in the loose I though when he came on. He will be a fine player as do young still

abdabs99rugby
abdabs (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 08:15
Agree with all the above but I think we are taking for granted the performances we have put in so far. The step up is massive in pace and as mentioned size but we have matched up and beaten two very good sides. To defend with 13 and 14 men on our line and hold out shows the strength and belief that the team have and although we may not be the biggest side the forwards so far have not been shown wanting. Great bench again today and it really is a squad rather than 'subs'.
Thought Sharpe did OK today in the game play but you can't afford to miss kicks. Maisey would have added at least another 5 points today and would have meant my nails would still exist this morning!. We got away with that missed pen in front of the posts... We may not be so lucky in the future. Also.. Dread to think what the penalty count was... Apart from the 3 penalties sir gave us at the end it was heavily in Bedfords favour and even then he gave them one more with the last line out to add to the nerves!.
Fantastic come back after last week... Keep it up lads... See you at Hartpury

markoddy
Mark (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 08:57
As for the quietness in the bar, a pint is now 70p more than at the start of last season, some voice their opinion with their feet

captainscarlet
16 September, 2018 09:01
Normal service of refereeing resumed with a crazy penalty count spoiling a superb game of rugby. Where Bedford chose the use of their large forwards to bullock their way through our lines. Cov had another magical patch where the backs let rip with assistance from the forwards, with 13 brother shining brightly..but does need to look for support more. The amount of borderline cheating that went on through the game was very annoying.Holding players on the ground, sly blocking and grasping from opposite numbers, blatant coming round from the wrong side...all of which added up to a coached approach to the game by bedford.
Yes the attendance was below the expected number, but with relegated l irish up next, hopes for a season high attendance figure of between 2500/3000 expected. But Cov now have to be realistic that at present there is no need for further stands because we are unable to sell the ground out and the quoted attendance figure for the hull game, was by creative figures rather than bums on seats.
Well done cov for bouncing back and defying the odds.

PaulRossborough
16 September, 2018 10:03
IIRC a penalty count of 22 (Cov) v 7 (Bed) was quoted by JB on CWR after the match. Is it the refs fault that we have so many against? I think some were a little harsh but mostly? Probably our own doing.

I noticed that Bedford were very good at blocking/obstruction in attack, making use of anything and anyone to block our tackles. Well done Bedford...

timdouglas1
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 10:56
Regarding the game, Junior and Andrew were excellent, and Tony Fenner never lets us down. He was class yesterday. Jake Sharp must have been shattered playing a full game for the first time in a long while. I like his speed of thought regarding quick passes, but my heart sunk with his penalty miss right in front with 5 minutes left. Very entertaining game, with a pantomime villain officiating at times with some dubious decisions. Regarding the clubhouse, come on Coventry RFC, can you really justify such a price hike at the bar? The Jellyheads are a very good band, they deserved a much bigger crowd watching. My advice, which I am sure will be ignored is drop the price of the beer, or you will see less and less in the coming weeks, because The Dyers, The Broomfield and The Railway are much cheaper options, and the atmosphere in The Dyers is excellent with a singalong afterwards. The more the word spreads, then this will surely hit the clubs profits. £3.80 for a Carling and UBU is quite shocking really, and there are many supporters who feel let down by this

markoddy
Today
Mark (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:58
In the past i have been pinged for criticism by naming.
This week people say we will play second string backs.
Is that different... Thought the second string were awesome today ... Maybe squad rotation isnt that bad

Straightout
Re: Today
Straightout (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 19:47
Totally agree. I was one of those who was worried about the squad player backs being picked but they were magnificent. The two B brothers player really well and tackled there hearts out. The pack actually were under pressure in the scrum but like this post said the so called replacement backs were brilliant and have made me respect them so much. Sharp has lovely hands too and tackled!

timdouglas1
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 12:01
A special mention to Sam, nothing was going to pass him yesterday. In my opinion, his best game for the club. He tackled like a lion

Cov_InPeace
Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 12:05
Just a quick note to say that I've merged the two "Today/Today's Game" threads together.

No criticism implied, it's great to see so many people being willing to comment.

My opinion fwiw, a terrific game. It felt like the official rather favoured Bedford, but then it's always going to feel that way when he's giving things against 'my' team I suppose!

The whole squad were immense, but I've got a new hero in Sammy T. An absolute pocket battleship of a player, immense in the tackle and subtlety in there too in terms of offloads and running lines. I like the look of that partnership with Bulumakau in the centres...

Cheers,

Russ.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 12:33
Quote:
MarkO
As for the quietness in the bar, a pint is now 70p more than at the start of last season, some voice their opinion with their feet

I really think the club is shooting itself in the foot with the new queuing system and price rise. It doesn't have the captive audience of the Ricoh and with 2 great pubs on it's doorstep - that opposition supporters are well aware of - it needs to be competitive.

I feel a bit churlish bringing things up when the game was so enjoyable yesterday but, with standing space being at a premium on the pauper's side, it seems to be a bit silly placing huge Wheely bins along the railings.

Jean H
Jean H (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 12:43
Re the quietness in the bar apart from increase in drinks it might be the loud music!!Talking to some people during the week after the Jersy game and they said they went in the bar after game for acouple of drinks and to chat about the game but only stayed a few minutes because you couldn't hear yourself think!!!

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 13:52
I have to agree that the band after the game is one reason why myself and Mrs Waz don't generally venture to the bar at the final whistle. Only being able to chat during breaks between songs doesn't really make it worthwhile. I don't mind too much paying more for the beer as it's revenue for the club, but we only have 2 or 3 at the match nowadays then get the bus back to our local for more as it's easier staggering distance home!

I'd also suggest if you're buying a ticket on the day, just buy a cheaper standing ticket and just sit in the stand - in the two home league games so far there has been no one checking tickets at either end of the stand. That money saved could offset the price increase in the bar!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net