rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
erick richardson
Very Sad state of affairs !!!!
erick richardson (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:53
Its a very sad day for Rugby and in particular "OUR" club? when I have to come on the message board to discuss what I class as disgraceful behaviour? If you have not read the chairman's letter please take time to read it! At last Saturdays game the referee had cause to make a report on the behaviour of some supporters at the end of the game giving him "VERBAL ABUSE" I travel to most away games and see ALL of our home games and I don't agree with some of the decisions made by the referee BUT he should not be abused verbally or physically by any member of the public after the final whistle. We here at Coventry Rugby pride ourselves by being proud proactive supporters and I am sure I can speak for most if not ALL of you in condemning this kind of behaviour. I am sure that if anyone is found to be doing this in the future they will be apprehended and asked to leave the ground, if they are season ticket holders ( I would hope not!) their ticket would be taken away. PLEASE, PLEASE, do not allow the name of "COVENTRY RUGBY" to be dragged down like this again. .... Rant over Thank You All

Diesel74
Re: Very Sad state of affairs !!!!
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 15:04
That is dreadful, Eric.
I thought we were different. I thought we were better than that. Mind you, I was appalled when that idiot thought it would be fun to 'tackle' the mascot a couple of seasons ago.
We don't want to follow soccer's example.
Mark

abdabs99rugby
abdabs (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 17:21
Totally agree Eric. A sad day indeed. These people need finding and removing before it becomes a trend. Hopefully they will be found and if anyone sees or hears them they report them immediately!

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 18:30
Quote:
abdabs
Totally agree Eric. A sad day indeed. These people need finding and removing before it becomes a trend. Hopefully they will be found and if anyone sees or hears them they report them immediately!

These allegations, did we get a discription? Surely if it was directed at the red as he left the pitch there would be some stewards around?

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 19:41
Quote:
Diesel74
That is dreadful, Eric.
I thought we were different. I thought we were better than that. Mind you, I was appalled when that idiot thought it would be fun to 'tackle' the mascot a couple of seasons ago.
We don't want to follow soccer's example.
Markrr
Interresting you used 'scoccer' as a referance. Well my wife and I are football converts following SISU awful business stratergies and obscene monetary sums involved in the Premier League. Season ticket holders and travel away. We are not the only ones. The Wasps board is full of disparaging remarks about Coventry football and Rugby Club.

Can I just say I have a lot of friends who are long standing rugby folk. My information after the game was it was seasoned rugby fans who abused the referee.

So please dont try and deflect your dirty laundry onto the converted football fans who have boosted the Butts park coffers in recent seasons.

I know some rugby fans like to cling on to their whiter than white image, but reading the Rugby Papers letter page in recent seasons over peoples experiences at Twickenham, suggests there is a growing problem in rugby and fan behaviour. Dont let arrogance ignore the fact the problem might be rugby folk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2018 19:51 by HoboAl.

Cov_InPeace
Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 20:21
In fairness I don't think Mark's saying that it was necessarily ex-soccer fans that did it, just that we don't want the game to go the same way.

Both codes can have their issues obviously, and Cov have been here before, I seem to recall.

What's reassuring, for me at least, is how the behaviour has been universally condemned. Sad as this incident was, I don't think this is ever likely to be considered acceptable hereabouts.

Incidentally HA, I too have spent an awful lot more time watching football, particularly at Highfield Rd. Never seen a game of 'soccer' in my life, though, isn't that something they play in the States? winking smiley

timdouglas1
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 20:45
The referee's a ...... culture should never rear its head at The Butts. "Are you sure sir?" is much more appropriate. I personally thought the referee made some strange decisions, but his knowledge of the rules far exceeds mine, so maybe I missed something that he saw. Getting back to the main thread, whatever the performance of the officials, there is no need to give then any horrible abuse

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 21:23
Soccer is a public school term like rugger. Donít get more English than that ;-p

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 21:51
Quote:
Cov_InPeace
In fairness I don't think Mark's saying that it was necessarily ex-soccer fans that did it, just that we don't want the game to go the same way.
Both codes can have their issues obviously, and Cov have been here before, I seem to recall.

What's reassuring, for me at least, is how the behaviour has been universally condemned. Sad as this incident was, I don't think this is ever likely to be considered acceptable hereabouts.

Incidentally HA, I too have spent an awful lot more time watching football, particularly at Highfield Rd. Never seen a game of 'soccer' in my life, though, isn't that something they play in the States? winking smiley

No but it is a common theme on rugby boards, to mention footballs bad examples. My point is this deflects from the fact it might actually be a rugby problem.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 22:00
I remember a few years ago chatting to one of the bouncers at a pub in Twickenham who said he'd rather have football supporters than drunken rugby fans.

Tip
Tip (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 22:01
Yes, it's sad but lack of civility and the thought that the ref has a greater knowledge of the laws of the game, and is always right so don't argue, than most spectators seems to be diminishing but the fact that you have paid to watch the game doesn't give you the right to disabuse officials. Although you have the right to have different OPINIONS on the decision

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2018 22:06 by Tip.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 06:58
HoboAl, I'm an armchair fan of Coventry City these days, my first love is Coventry Rugby.
But, I've been to many a match at Highfield Road and some at the Ricoh. The language used has been awful and the aggressive behaviour unwarranted, IMHO.
I also watched the play-offs and play-off final and could hear the taunts loud and clear.
I've pride in my city (although I don't like what it's become), I've pride in Coventry City - my grandfather for the Bantams both pre and post war, so there's a family connection.
Mostly, I've pride for Coventry Rugby, for rugby, and the core values.
Watch how a footballer challenges a refereeing decision.
Watch how a rugby player goes about it.
And it's not my 'dirty laundry', as you put it. I've been watching and playing rugby for 40-plus years with no abuse of officials, or opposition players. I abhor such behaviour and have stated so.
I've always fallen in line, happily, with rugby's core values.
I also played a bit of Sunday League soccer and the difference between the codes was amazing. Rugby, the ref and opposition would hang around and have a beer and a chat.
Football, the ref and linesmen would disappear in their own cars as soon as the final whistle had gone, almost, and opposition team would vanish to their own pub. Ne'er the twain shall meet.
Mark

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 12:24
Interesting that you mention players and how they communicate with the ref. I thought Dickson had a great game officiating for Bedford on Saturday. My favourite was when he suggested that the crowd had made the call on a foot in touch from a penalty.. he was in the refs ear all game, at times quite aggressively. Whilst equally unwelcome, supporters do take their lead from players on the pitch sometimes.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 12:38
Quote:
BackTenRef?
Interesting that you mention players and how they communicate with the ref. I thought Dickson had a great game officiating for Bedford on Saturday. My favourite was when he suggested that the crowd had made the call on a foot in touch from a penalty.. he was in the refs ear all game, at times quite aggressively. Whilst equally unwelcome, supporters do take their lead from players on the pitch sometimes.

There is a very simple path for referees to follow on those occasions.

1: "White 9, I do not requiire your help".
2: "White captain, please tell your #9 I do not want to hear any more from him".
3: Penalise.

That gives plenty of warning, and should shut up the nuisance before it comes to a penalty.

On the penalty/touch call, I was on the far side of the pitch from it, and as soon as Dickson complained, a bunch of Bedford supporters on the far side, who could not possibly have seen where the foot was relative to the line, started on the nearby touch judge - who could equally not have seen clearly across the width of the pitch.

Teddy60
Teddy60 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 13:44
I have seen Dickson many times over the years and he has always been the same. Iíve thought he is a good player but his personality/posturing is to the extreme end of scrum halves. All I can say is that when watching him in a play-off game at Franklin Gardens, several years ago against Saracens, even the Saints fans were pleased when he got subbed. His reputation precedes him & these days probably results in 50/50 decisions going against him.

Roger Fox
Roger Fox (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 15:57
It may not be possible always to do so, but perhaps a club official should accompany the officials off the pitch. Is it permissible to photograph offenders, or is that an invasion of privacy.

covkid53
covkid53 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 16:32
Swearing and abusing anyone is out if order. The referee had a stinker, he deserved getting the bird from fans during and after the match. Hopefully he will watch the match later and improve his performance. However, abuse and threatening behavior is unacceptable.

Cov_InPeace
Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 18:47
Quote:
BackTenRef?
Soccer is a public school term like rugger. Donít get more English than that ;-p

I went to a public school. Woodlands. Any member of the public could get in there, though it felt like they preferred you to have a criminal record of some sort. smiling smiley

I'm sticking to my guns here, BTR. If you can find one mainstream British news organisation, aimed at Brits (e.g. BBC, Telegraph, Express etc.) that refers to soccer when they're talking about (association) football, then I'll cheerfully concede. Challenge accepted? winking smiley

Sam Skennel
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 21:30
Quote:
covkid53
Swearing and abusing anyone is out if order. The referee had a stinker, he deserved getting the bird from fans during and after the match. Hopefully he will watch the match later and improve his performance. However, abuse and threatening behavior is unacceptable.

Actually, I don't agree. I think he could have had more support from his assistants when it mattered, but we won, and the players made more mistakes than he did.

Sure, give the officials some stick if you find it necessary when you're watching - that's part of the fun of the game, but engage them in (polite) conversation afterwards, and you might find your point of view being altered when you understand what they can see that you can't.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 21:45
Quote:
BackTenRef?

He was and I agree with your observations. But the Assistant was so slow raising his flag, when he was on top of the situation....actually drew the criticism from Dickson. Dickson was some way off and I can understand, due to the slow reaction of the flag why he might have thought the flag was influenced by the crowd.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 19:40
Quote:
OldNick
Quote:
BackTenRef?

There is a very simple path for referees to follow on those occasions.

1: "White 9, I do not requiire your help".
2: "White captain, please tell your #9 I do not want to hear any more from him".
3: Penalise.

That gives plenty of warning, and should shut up the nuisance before it comes to a penalty.

On the penalty/touch call, I was on the far side of the pitch from it, and as soon as Dickson complained, a bunch of Bedford supporters on the far side, who could not possibly have seen where the foot was relative to the line, started on the nearby touch judge - who could equally not have seen clearly across the width of the pitch.

First problem the moaning 9 is the captain.

The flag was correct the players foot was out. But the official who was on top of the situation and well placed created problems for himself and the other officials because of the very slow reaction to flag. It looked like he flagged after the crowd reacted. Perhaps he did?

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 20:02
Quote:
Diesel74
HoboAl, I'm an armchair fan of Coventry City these days, my first love is Coventry Rugby.
But, I've been to many a match at Highfield Road and some at the Ricoh. The language used has been awful and the aggressive behaviour unwarranted, IMHO.
I also watched the play-offs and play-off final and could hear the taunts loud and clear.
I've pride in my city (although I don't like what it's become), I've pride in Coventry City - my grandfather for the Bantams both pre and post war, so there's a family connection.
Mostly, I've pride for Coventry Rugby, for rugby, and the core values.
Watch how a footballer challenges a refereeing decision.
Watch how a rugby player goes about it.
And it's not my 'dirty laundry', as you put it. I've been watching and playing rugby for 40-plus years with no abuse of officials, or opposition players. I abhor such behaviour and have stated so.
I've always fallen in line, happily, with rugby's core values.
I also played a bit of Sunday League soccer and the difference between the codes was amazing. Rugby, the ref and opposition would hang around and have a beer and a chat.
Football, the ref and linesmen would disappear in their own cars as soon as the final whistle had gone, almost, and opposition team would vanish to their own pub. Ne'er the twain shall meet.
Mark

Criticisms accepted and I meant to vent at rugby in genearal rather than you personally.

For me if rugby's arrogance of we are better than football persists they will miss problems creeping into the game.

Saturday abuse of referee, I have reliable information the direct face to face abuse of the referee was by long standing rugby fans.

Noise and not respecting kickers in recent games where I sit seems to be experienced rugby fans not new fans.

At International and Club level problems seem to stem from Corporate Guests; whether they are traditional or new fans alcohol seems to be the driver.

Club's chase new revenue and bar sales are a big part of that. They promote a drinking culture which for some promote bad behaviour. One of the biggest gripes of fans is by far poor bar service...despite how heroic the team have been?

Coventry Rugby is a great sporting experience and I believe a very welcoming club. Many Moseley fans I know agree; let's face it you can't get a bigger rivalry than that!

I don't think we have a massive problem at Coventry but Mr Sharp is right to outline the expected standards and nip it in the bud! We as regular fans need to support and uphold his standards.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 17:51
I have to disagree with you HoboAl on a point.

Long-standing and experienced rugby fans should know what's accepted and what isn't. There are core values which extend to everyone.

For me, they are no more 'fans' than the football hooligans who turn up wanting trouble.
I think we all have to show zero tolerance of bad behaviour.

Referees and their assistants are part of the sporting experience - without them we wouldn't have a game. They make mistakes, but that's life. A bad refereeing decision can cost a game, or divide opinion, as in the Leic-Wasps red card.

But refs are human, with families and friends to go back to. They don't deserve abuse for a bad match. Neither do players who have a shocker.

You've hit the nail on the head about upholding standards. This is our club, we are all ambassadors for it.

Mark

BackTenRef?
BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 18:39
Whilst itís never ok to abuse someone in their place of work, this idea of without referees we wouldnít have a game doesnít really hold much water in the professional game. What players and supporters should remember however is that it sets the example to kids and that should be enough on its own

Cov_InPeace
Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 20:36
Quote:
BackTenRef?
Whilst itís never ok to abuse someone in their place of work, this idea of without referees we wouldnít have a game doesnít really hold much water in the professional game. What players and supporters should remember however is that it sets the example to kids and that should be enough on its own

Very fair point BTR, but then if you get to the point where abusing refs becomes normalised as in football (sorry, soccer) smiling smiley then getting enough people to do it at the lower levels becomes difficult.

What you then see (as I can tell you from donkey's years of personal experience as a very, very low-level footballer, sorry soccerist) smiling smiley , is that it becomes a lot less enjoyable to play, and the standards of the few refs that do stick it out go downhill.

Funnily enough, regardless of all of that I think we're all broadly in agreement in that none of us want to see behaviour like this become accepted and that it's unlikely to go unchallenged in the future. That's rather encouraging, for me at least.

Cheers,

Russ.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net