rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Diesel74
Playing Devil's Advocate blog
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 22:12
Faith in my club

[markdieselforster.wordpress.com]

Mark

 
Rob C
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
Rob C (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 09:02
We'll put Mark, food for thought. Booing our own players now, I'm not sure The Championship is bringing the best out of some of our supporters...

 
HoboAl
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
HoboAl (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 09:04
Good article and you raise valid points. Yes, the margins between success and failure, being a hero or looking a chump is very fine in sport. But things nearly coming off doesn't win you games.

Stokes loss of control when trying to ground the ball v Jersey I can accept because things like that happen in sport and it is rare Stokes allows try scoring chances slip from his grasp.

I agree I think Sharp is here to make the number 10 his own and has the pedigree and experience to do so. Unfortunately he didn't particularly impress pre season and looked several weeks behind other players in terms of fitness.

He got his chance against Bedford. But an easy penalty miss which kept us under pressure until the final whistle and some unconvincing kicking from hand; is what a lot of supporters took from the game. Many felt Maisey should have been back in against Hartpury. I actually thought he had done just enough to keep the shirt, due to the fact he had got a full game under his belt and his hands had looked very good.

But yesterday his kick offs lack height and were too long to give our forwards a chance. This was often replicated in his kicking from hand. Why when he had time and space he chose to kick to their No 10 who for me seemed to be their standout player, but when gifted that amount of possession its hard not to be.

Conditions were difficult yesterday but Sharp seemed to fumble and drop more than most. Another easy penalty miss and he just didn't look confident kicking.
I don't think the boos were particularly aimed directly at him yesterday. I think it was at a tactic we had been executing so poorly it meant Hartpury were gifted 75 per cent of the possession. Two 10 minute spells in each half where we passed and ran the ball showed we could cause Hartpury problems.

Yes Sharp had some nearly moments, but for me it still stacked up to a bad game. I have no doubt Sharp is better than that and we have yet to see the best of him. He is also experienced enough to get his head down and come through it.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2018 09:44 by HoboAl.

 
captainscarlet
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
23 September, 2018 09:33
i must of turned down my hearing aid down , when was sharp booed..are you sure it wasnt one of the dogs barking.

 
HoboAl
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
HoboAl (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 09:40
Quote:
bigm/ mark harrison.
i must of turned down my hearing aid down , when was sharp booed..are you sure it wasnt one of the dogs barking.

Yes it was more groans and "No!!! out of sheer frustration rather than booing to my ears.

 
BackTenRef?
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 12:13
From what Iíve heard indirectly from players, Sharp is lazy in training, is rather arrogant and is here for the pay check. I donít go to training sessions, and donít know first hand so take it with a pinch of salt.Only what Iíve heard indirectly. IF any of the above is true then it would be unusual for Roland to bring someone like that into the club. He looks some way from first team form. Didnít see the Pirates game but thought Will played well against jersey. Sharp has glimpses of brilliance but we have enough quality already in our back line, what we need at 10 imho is consistency and points when they are there.


Itís strange how since sharp has come in as a kicking specialist coach Kessels box kicking has dropped I. Itís standard and consistency too? Iím hoping Iím putting two and two together and getting five. But watching sharp vs Bedford his kicking technique seemed fundamentally flawed

 
timdouglas1
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 17:50
I fear Sharp could be our new version of Scott Hamilton. All reputation, but with a failure to deliver the goods. This is not a personal attack, but a reminder he needs to shape up a little, get his head down and prove some of his doubters wrong. Let's see if he has the mental approach to do this, because the ball is firmly in his court now

 
HoboAl
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
HoboAl (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 18:59
Quote:
BackTenRef?
From what Iíve heard indirectly from players, Sharp is lazy in training, is rather arrogant and is here for the pay check. I donít go to training sessions, and donít know first hand so take it with a pinch of salt.Only what Iíve heard indirectly. IF any of the above is true then it would be unusual for Roland to bring someone like that into the club. He looks some way from first team form. Didnít see the Pirates game but thought Will played well against jersey. Sharp has glimpses of brilliance but we have enough quality already in our back line, what we need at 10 imho is consistency and points when they are there.

Itís strange how since sharp has come in as a kicking specialist coach Kessels box kicking has dropped I. Itís standard and consistency too? Iím hoping Iím putting two and two together and getting five. But watching sharp vs Bedford his kicking technique seemed fundamentally flawed

I am always cautious of what I call plumbers stories. I have a mate, who has a friend, who is the cousin of so and so. ????

We can only judge what we see on the pitch, not what happens on the training ground or in the dressing room. Rumour and speculation are often corrosive, divisive and unjust forces we should be very wary of.

RW has proved very astute with his appointments. He has also shown he can be quite ruthless with people who under perform.

It is far too early to right Sharp off and far too early to have our ear to the ground for rumour and speculation. We know we have a squad who are committed to the cause. I saw nothing v Bedford or Hartpury that suggested Sharp was not fully committed. At times his own frustration has showed.

He is just a player who isn't quite on his game yet. But is showing little glimpses of his ability.

Yesterday was probably just a really bad day at the office. We have all had those surely?

 
Diesel74
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 19:42
Quote:
HoboAl
Yesterday was probably just a really bad day at the office. We have all had those surely?

This.
Simply this.

Mark

 
BackTenRef?
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 16:09
Seems my above comment ( albeit caveated) has warranted a Tim Smith rant in todayís blog. With hindsight it was probably ill conceived to share the information on the message board. However itís there, no point retracting or deleting it as itís been seen. I will be more than happy to be proved wrong by Jake over the coming seasons, in fact I would be delighted to eat my words!

 
zinzanh
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
zinzanh (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 21:07
Well said BTF.

 
zinzanh
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
zinzanh (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 21:09
Well said BTR.

 
zinzanh
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
zinzanh (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 21:14
In fact after the Bedford game Mr Winter bumped into me on the way to the bag room and said sorry, I said do not apologise to me after that performance and he replied with a smile wait till they get better.C'MON COV.

 
Diesel74
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 21:18
An aside, but if we're going to talk about Jake Sharp, I think his sponsorship with Cov tells us quite a bit about him and his desire to be here.

Mark

 
Wazeroonie
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 23:14
I have no idea whether there is any truth in what BTR has said that he's heard. Not everyone gets on fantastically well with everyone else in any workplace - and maybe a few loose or misplaced words can get twisted or misinterpreted.

As far as the 'lazy' remark, I'd imagine that RW/NW/LD etc would never tolerate any player not giving their all in training, and with the depth of the squad I doubt any lazy players would find their way into the match day line up.

 
BackTenRef?
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 11:04
Quote:
Wazeroonie
I have no idea whether there is any truth in what BTR has said that he's heard. Not everyone gets on fantastically well with everyone else in any workplace - and maybe a few loose or misplaced words can get twisted or misinterpreted.
As far as the 'lazy' remark, I'd imagine that RW/NW/LD etc would never tolerate any player not giving their all in training, and with the depth of the squad I doubt any lazy players would find their way into the match day line up.

Youíd hope that would be the case. I must admit I was surprised that RW would have anyone like that at the club as RW usually does his homework exceptionally well. I did wonder if sharp needed Ďrebuildingí and was a long term plan. As I said before he shows glimpses of pure class and quality but seems to be not up to game speed and is off form with the boot. ( NB form is temporary, class is permanent). Perhaps the Ďlazyí tag is that heís managing an injury we/players are unaware of.

Interesting weíve just signed a fly half

 
sk
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
rustyroof (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 12:27
Quote:
BackTenRef?
Seems my above comment ( albeit caveated) has warranted a Tim Smith rant in todayís blog. With hindsight it was probably ill conceived to share the information on the message board. However itís there, no point retracting or deleting it as itís been seen. I will be more than happy to be proved wrong by Jake over the coming seasons, in fact I would be delighted to eat my words!
Not sure l'm a fan of Tim's way of using his blog to comment on what people say on here.

 
Moosemagic
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
Moosemagic (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 13:01
Quote:
rustyroof
Quote:
BackTenRef?
Seems my above comment ( albeit caveated) has warranted a Tim Smith rant in todayís blog. With hindsight it was probably ill conceived to share the information on the message board. However itís there, no point retracting or deleting it as itís been seen. I will be more than happy to be proved wrong by Jake over the coming seasons, in fact I would be delighted to eat my words!
Not sure l'm a fan of Tim's way of using his blog to comment on what people say on here.

LMAO, But you are happy to come on here and comment on what Tim said, oh the irony!



Phil Reynolds

 
BackTenRef?
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 13:46
Quote:
Moosemagic
Quote:
rustyroof
Quote:
BackTenRef?
Seems my above comment ( albeit caveated) has warranted a Tim Smith rant in todayís blog. With hindsight it was probably ill conceived to share the information on the message board. However itís there, no point retracting or deleting it as itís been seen. I will be more than happy to be proved wrong by Jake over the coming seasons, in fact I would be delighted to eat my words!
Not sure l'm a fan of Tim's way of using his blog to comment on what people say on here.


LMAO, But you are happy to come on here and comment on what Tim said, oh the irony!

Nobody has commented on what Tim has said, only acknowledged it.

I could have commented on Timís line about not being fit to lace sharpís boots, which is rich as I doubt Tim knows who I am, if I played, what standard etc, whilst he feels fit to comment on a regular basis about things heís never been involved in.

But I didnít :-)

 
Sam Skennel
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 14:18
Quote:
rustyroof
Quote:
BackTenRef?
Seems my above comment ( albeit caveated) has warranted a Tim Smith rant in todayís blog. With hindsight it was probably ill conceived to share the information on the message board. However itís there, no point retracting or deleting it as itís been seen. I will be more than happy to be proved wrong by Jake over the coming seasons, in fact I would be delighted to eat my words!
Not sure l'm a fan of Tim's way of using his blog to comment on what people say on here.

I don't think Tim's blog is any different from someone giving their point of view on here, tbh.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
OldNick (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 14:21
Quote:
Sam Skennel
I don't think Tim's blog is any different from someone giving their point of view on here, tbh.

Without a moderator to rein in the rants.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2018 07:07 by OldNick.

 
Sam Skennel
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
Sam Skennel (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 14:54
I didnít really see that bit as a rant though.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
OldNick (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 15:21
Speaking in general Sam. Here has a (largely) independant moderator. Blogs tend not to.

 
sk
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
rustyroof (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 15:35
Tim's blog has a moderator - Tim

 
HoboAl
Re: Playing Devil's Advocate blog
HoboAl (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 19:47
For me professional sportsmen are open to criticism from fans; it is part of being in a results game. I would hope any criticism is balanced and evidenced and certainly not knee-jerk.

But posting opinion is one thing, posting rumour is another. People sometimes say I have a reliable source, but if the source is not prepared to post it; respect their confidentiality or at least their lack of balls.

If somebody tells you something confidentially why blow the trust? If they are that @#$%& off with a situation let them post it.

As far as I see it Tim's blog is 80 percent opinion. Then 20 per cent is what people like Rowland Winter has said and has already put in the public domain. Tim doesn't need a moderator as he is sensible, but also the one who will suffer legal action if he gets it wrong. Public forums are different as they can be responsible for people posting through their service.

For me forums are great for debate and discussion. They are great sources of information. But third or fourth hand information and speculation is best left for the tabloids.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/09/2018 20:47 by HoboAl.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?