rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Diesel74
RW's post match comments - Ouch!
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 15:40
Post match interview with Rowland Winter on BBC C&W.
On asked how to put things right next week he said: 'You pick 15 players with the balls to play.'
He even said Tom Jubb, singled out by the commentary team for praise, was 'mediocre, just like the rest of them'.
I've total faith in RW, Nick Walshe, Louis Deacon and our players, but how can we lift them as supporters?
We all know they're better than this.
Mark

Jean H
Re: RW's post match comments - Ouch!
Jean H (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 15:42
Anyone know the score please???

Cov_InPeace
Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 16:09
Richmond 22 - 5 Coventry.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 16:30
Pleased to hear Rowland's comments.
No more of this 'we just need time to gel' stuff, it's time to step up to the plate. Something's obviously not right, let's hope the coaching team can turn things around.

Johnson 1981
Johnson 1981 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 17:29
If the "team" cant be bothered to travel why should we

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 17:53
Even last year we were hit and miss on the road. We have to be more savy on the ball and keep it. Have more discipline and game management....and more desire away.

RW asked for a performance to day and I think he expected a win....he didnt get it....he wont be pleased and obviously isnt.

CovBlueLou
CovBlueLou (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 18:25
Quote:
Diesel74
Post match interview with Rowland Winter on BBC C&W.
On asked how to put things right next week he said: 'You pick 15 players with the balls to play.'
He even said Tom Jubb, singled out by the commentary team for praise, was 'mediocre, just like the rest of them'.
I've total faith in RW, Nick Walshe, Louis Deacon and our players, but how can we lift them as supporters?
We all know they're better than this.
Mark

Glad RW has said it as it is today was embarrassing looked cluesless, leaderless and the kicking game wow what was that all about!

Cov_InPeace
Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 18:34
Quote:
Johnson 1981

I don't think anyone's forcing you to go, but what gives you the impression they aren't bothered, Johnson 81? Have you seen anything that causes you to doubt their commitment?

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 18:40
We need to be better away in this league, a loss of form or just bad luck could really put us under pressure if we just rely on home form.

The truth is we have blown two of the easiest away fixtures on paper. In neither game have we been outplayed, we just haven't turned up.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 18:45
Quote:
HoboAl
We need to be better away in this league, a loss of form or just bad luck could really put us under pressure if we just rely on home form.
The truth is we have blown two of the easiest away fixtures on paper. In neither game have we been outplayed, we just haven't turned up.

And there is the challenge - to establish why and address it.

To play so well against a strong London Irish side and then so poorly against an ordinary side is so typical of Cov.

Still, the Sky Blues won away!

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 18:46 by Diesel74.

mrfear
06 October, 2018 19:29
The only period where we played anything like our best was in the first ten minutes of the second half when we got quick ball out and managed to deliver and receive passes clinically. Apart from that we looked shapeless, unthreatening, flat and our backs failed to run any challenging lines through the Richmond defence. The ball handling was shocking from just about every Cov player on the pitch.

Jubby and Sam T were arguably our best players today and our supporters were magnificent - drowning out the home supporters throughout the eighty minutes and doing our bit - as we should.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:03
Quote:
Cov_InPeace
Quote:
Johnson 1981

I don't think anyone's forcing you to go, but what gives you the impression they aren't bothered, Johnson 81? Have you seen anything that causes you to doubt their commitment?

Yes stuttering away form last season when we were top dogs, three poor away performances on the bounce this year when two were there for tha taking. We are failing to learn from and eradicate mistakes on the road. We have already lost two of
what are arguably the easiest fixtures in this league.

Commitment is a bit like leaddrship. Its not running around on a pitch pointing and shouting. Its about everything you do when you turn up to work. How you think, how you talk, how you train, how you play, how you react....how you improve your performances.

It is a massive step up this year and general sloppyness wont allow us to make that step. We cant allow ourselves to rely on home games and put ourselves under that pressure. We have to learn how to protect the ball and manage games.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:15
On the subject of support...As one who has failed to regain the enthusiasm for away trips after so many crushing experiences over the past 30 years, I'm in awe of the Cov faithful who still travel the length and breadth of the land with often little reward. Keep the faith, surely an away performance must come soon.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:27
Quote:
Rob C
On the subject of support...As one who has failed to regain the enthusiasm for away trips after so many crushing experiences over the past 30 years, I'm in awe of the Cov faithful who still travel the length and breadth of the land with often little reward. Keep the faith, surely0 an away performance must come soon.

Rob
Come and join us, yes days like today are a pain in the @#$%& but as you know well, we are Cov family.
Now if we could create the same atmosphere away from home as we do at the bpa.....now there's a thought. Lol.

CovBlueLou
CovBlueLou (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:32
Lack of leadership on the pitch is a massive worry, at no point today did anyone stand up!

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 20:54
Quote:
Moosemagic
Quote:
Rob C
On the subject of support...As one who has failed to regain the enthusiasm for away trips after so many crushing experiences over the past 30 years, I'm in awe of the Cov faithful who still travel the length and breadth of the land with often little reward. Keep the faith, surely0 an away performance must come soon.

Rob
Come and join us, yes days like today are a pain in the @#$%& but as you know well, we are Cov family.
Now if we could create the same atmosphere away from home as we do at the bpa.....now there's a thought. Lol.

Will do soon moose. As I say, I'm a veteran of many away losses, my last trip to Richmond was against Ben Clarke's Galacticos prior to them being kicked out of the league. How well they've done since.
Away form has plagued us for many a year, often when Cov support outweighs that of the home team. Maybe some sports psychology is called for...

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 21:15
Quote:
CovBlueLou
Lack of leadership on the pitch is a massive worry, at no point today did anyone stand up!

You dont just lead on the pitch. Leaders lead off the pitch, in training, evrry tackle, every pass. Its about not accepting defeat, its about cultivating quality over effort.

MESSAGES->author
Peter Redhead (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 10:44
Prior to the game and looking at the weather I remarked that it was a day to stick it up your jumper and keep procession. What did we do kick, poorly, straight back to them. Their kickin however put us under pressure and silly handling mistakes were made as there forwards rapidly pressurised our defence. When we handled the ball in the inclement weather we should have kept it simple but sure. Headmasters report “ need to do better”

Cov_InPeace
Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 12:51
Quote:
HoboAl
Quote:
Cov_InPeace
Quote:
Johnson 1981

Yes stuttering away form last season when we were top dogs, three poor away performances on the bounce this year when two were there for tha taking. We are failing to learn from and eradicate mistakes on the road. We have already lost two of
what are arguably the easiest fixtures in this league.

Commitment is a bit like leaddrship. Its not running around on a pitch pointing and shouting. Its about everything you do when you turn up to work. How you think, how you talk, how you train, how you play, how you react....how you improve your performances.

It is a massive step up this year and general sloppyness wont allow us to make that step. We cant allow ourselves to rely on home games and put ourselves under that pressure. We have to learn how to protect the ball and manage games.

Johnson81 insinuated that the team weren't bothered when travelling away but hasn't troubled himself to offer any evidence.

You seem to suggesting that our lack of 'commitment' is reflected (amongst other things) in the way players think, talk and train, but politely I can't see that you're a party to any of that.

So what I think you're saying is that the errors that you've seen or heard about in the away games are evidence of a lack of commitment - which suggests that if the players were sufficiently committed those errors wouldn't happen.

To me, politely, that's a fallacy. I haven't seen any lack of desire or commitment out there and no one who was there yesterday seems to have given any examples of it either.

Clearly though, we're not executing our game plans very well because of individual errors, or we're trying to execute the wrong plans which are making us more susceptible to individual errors - or maybe a combination of both.

Those are things that we can work on, though if we're committed to expansive rugby regardless of conditions then as fans we're going to have to take it on the chin when it goes wrong.

Personally though, I wouldn't be as quick to equate defeat with lack of desire, which I think is what the implication is here. As a player, I know I'd find that rather insulting.

It's also worth bearing in mind that winning away isn't easy, the stats show that - was every team that lost yesterday guilty of a lack of commitment, or just us? You say yourself that this is a step up, maybe it's possible to lose for reasons other than a lack of commitment...

Russ.

sk
rustyroof (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 14:38
Maybe more concerning than it just being about not performing away from home, is the failure to deal with poor weather conditions. Is this down to our players or game plan being more suited to a open, running game and dry conditions? If so, it's not just down to the players to solve, the coaches need to adapt our approach, as such adverse conditions become the norm.

Coventry Rugby Supporters Club
Cliff Bennett (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 16:21
Quote:
rustyroof
Maybe more concerning than it just being about not performing away from home, is the failure to deal with poor weather conditions. Is this down to our players or game plan being more suited to a open, running game and dry conditions? If so, it's not just down to the players to solve, the coaches need to adapt our approach, as such adverse conditions become the norm.

That's an interesting observation, rr, because the weather at both Hartpury and at Richmond was pretty awful, and our game plan clearly lacked effectiveness in those conditions. With no disrespect to those two teams, both are clearly eminently beatable and at BPA they should be given a real pasting.
At Cornish Pirates, however, the weather was perfectly OK, but we lacked clarity of thought and intent, resulting in a muddled performance from which, like yesterday, we emerged with no points. But again, they are beatable and when they come to BPA they'll be shown that Cov can play fast, incisive and compelling rugby.
When each of the above three teams come to BPA the Cov they face will be unrecognisable from the Cov they played at home.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 16:55
Quote:
rustyroof

RW said pre season we won't be running tries in from our own 22, we will get 5 yards. Weather conditions? Coaches? Oh come on, players at 14 yrs can work that one out. Are paid players that robotic?

Pablo blanco
Pablo blanco (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 18:46
I do not think there is a lack of commitment, more to the point there is a lack of basic key skills, passing, catching and kicking of a rugby ball !!!! Is there any chance we can put the ball in front of someone so they are coming onto the ball rather than at or behind

Johnson 1981
Johnson 1981 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 19:27
Bravo. Well said

sk
rustyroof (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 00:52
Quote:
Cliff Bennett
Quote:
rustyroof

That's an interesting observation, rr, because the weather at both Hartpury and at Richmond was pretty awful, and our game plan clearly lacked effectiveness in those conditions. With no disrespect to those two teams, both are clearly eminently beatable and at BPA they should be given a real pasting.
At Cornish Pirates, however, the weather was perfectly OK, but we lacked clarity of thought and intent, resulting in a muddled performance from which, like yesterday, we emerged with no points. But again, they are beatable and when they come to BPA they'll be shown that Cov can play fast, incisive and compelling rugby.
When each of the above three teams come to BPA the Cov they face will be unrecognisable from the Cov they played at home.
I wasn't at the Pirates game, but wasn't there a lot of disruption in the back line due to injuries? The muddled performance could be put down to a lack of a properly rehearsed and effective plan B required when the normal game plan isn't possible.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net