rugbyunion
Latest News:

HoboAl
Looking Ahead To Scottish
HoboAl (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 09:43
Both teams coming into this on the back of poor performances at the weekend, with the words of both DOR's "Must do better" ringing in their ears.

Scottish were totally outplayed but showed enough to say they must be respected and can be dangerous. I anticipate another close match at the BPA.

I expect Sharp will be back in and I hope Oram is back, at least on the bench. I am also looking forward to Faleafa making his home debut. Let's hope the weather is kinder to both teams and fans and we see a good rugby game.

Let's keep faith and remember this league is a big step up and you have to earn every point. Kim and I already committed to the trip to Ealing. Gwan Cov!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 09:50 by HoboAl.

CharlieBravo
Re: Looking Ahead To Scottish
10 October, 2018 15:46
I think thereíll be backlash this Saturday from the weekend by both teams, but surely the advantage must be with Cov playing at BPA? I donít want to think about us losing four games on the trot.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 16:05
Two things disappointed me about Richmond:

1. The overall performance and it seemed we learnt nothing from Hartpury. Losing to a good team is one thing, losing and not turning up is another. Although I must add the one good thing about Hartpury was commitment in the tackle.

2. With the half time result so tight, we let them pull away and didn't even achieve a bonus point. Losing bonus points add up and we must try and at least get them. They can help off set 2 or 3 home defeats and ensure we are safe.

We have to learn to play some boring ugly rugby, play keep ball and gain the yards.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 17:18
My early misgivings when Rowland first took over the reigns was his insistence that Cov would be playing a fast flowing attack-based game. We got away with that somewhat last season when the game plan stuttered at times, it hasn't been and won't be the case this season.
I hope some lessons have now been learned, particularly as the weather deteriorates, and we play with more pragmatism. I'd rather be a bit less entertained in The Championship than the obvious alternative.
Here's to a great home performance this Saturday!

CharlieBravo
10 October, 2018 17:35
I had similar misgivings Rob, but you can rest assured we didnít play a fast flowing attack based game at either Hartpury or at Richmond. Both teams carried out a defensive game plan against us which quickly bullied us into submission and then they capitalised on our many mistakes.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 18:15
Cov have to find a style all their own, play rugby the way they want - it's been ever thus with good teams. They've had the difference, the courage, the talent to excel.

Think the running lines of Wales in the 1970s, prepared to run, take players on, make space and exploit it.

Think of the Irish and Scottish teams, outgunned in the forwards, but throwing everything into attack; the flair of the French, the elan, the pace, the space...

And England, and Coventry - when they managed to suck in players to rucks and mauls, they could send the ball out wide to backs with frightening pace.

Geoff Evans, Peter Preece, David Duckham, Peter Rossborough, Rod Webb, Tim Barnwell, and before them the likes of Jacko and Ricky Melville...

If RW wants to play that way, then he has the men to do it, both in terms of winning the arm wrestle up front and getting the ball out to the quicks. If, when it all clicks, it is a point of difference for Cov against the kick, lineout, maul and score boys of the Championship, then Cov will entertain, be better than the rest, be creating a new chapter in our wonderful history.

I love it.

But if it's not working, then have options. England in 1991 kept the ball up the jumper, with a brilliant pack that most couldn't live with. But they didn't just maul forward, dominate scrums, win lineouts and kick penalties. That Grand Slam winning team span the ball out and scored some entertaining tries.

Ambition is a watchword for success. We all want that. But it's all about building foundations.

I think Saturday is going to be a game to remember.

Mark

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 18:26
Quote:
Charliebravo (Cliff Bennett)
I had similar misgivings Rob, but you can rest assured we didnít play a fast flowing attack based game at either Hartpury or at Richmond. Both teams carried out a defensive game plan against us which quickly bullied us into submission and then they capitalised on our many mistakes.

What I meant Cliff is perhaps more emphasis on a game plan to adopt in those circumstances is needed. I do think we force too many offloads when under pressure.

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 20:29
Quote:
Diesel74
Cov have to find a style all their own, play rugby the way they want - it's been ever thus with good teams. They've had the difference, the courage, the talent to excel.
Think the running lines of Wales in the 1970s, prepared to run, take players on, make space and exploit it.

Think of the Irish and Scottish teams, outgunned in the forwards, but throwing everything into attack; the flair of the French, the elan, the pace, the space...

And England, and Coventry - when they managed to suck in players to rucks and mauls, they could send the ball out wide to backs with frightening pace.

Geoff Evans, Peter Preece, David Duckham, Peter Rossborough, Rod Webb, Tim Barnwell, and before them the likes of Jacko and Ricky Melville...

If RW wants to play that way, then he has the men to do it, both in terms of winning the arm wrestle up front and getting the ball out to the quicks. If, when it all clicks, it is a point of difference for Cov against the kick, lineout, maul and score boys of the Championship, then Cov will entertain, be better than the rest, be creating a new chapter in our wonderful history.

I love it.

But if it's not working, then have options. England in 1991 kept the ball up the jumper, with a brilliant pack that most couldn't live with. But they didn't just maul forward, dominate scrums, win lineouts and kick penalties. That Grand Slam winning team span the ball out and scored some entertaining tries.

Ambition is a watchword for success. We all want that. But it's all about building foundations.

I think Saturday is going to be a game to remember.

Mark

Yes "good teams" have to find their own style....but great teams can adapt to different styles or at least different conditions..

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 07:13
Here's an advert for running rugby with a flavour of Cov running through it

[www.youtube.com]

But obviously no dropped balls or knock ons winking smiley

Mark

covmick1/Michael Carter
11 October, 2018 10:20
the big diference in this old clip compared with today is DEFENCE. Because of the Rugby League influence, line speed and other such things in the modern game flair has little chance to show. Unless someone comes up with a game plan to overcome this tactic.

covmick/Michael Carter

Pablo blanco
Pablo blanco (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 12:33
Quote:
covmick1/Michael Carter
the big diference in this old clip compared with today is DEFENCE. Because of the Rugby League influence, line speed and other such things in the modern game flair has little chance to show. Unless someone comes up with a game plan to overcome this tactic.

Flair can be executed well before the defensive line, it's called depth in the back line, modern rugby seems to be obsessed with everything flat with no pace put on the ball

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net