rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
CharlieBravo
Todayís game v Nottingham
13 April, 2019 17:36
Never before, in all my years of watching rugby, have I had the misfortune to witness such an inept and incompetent display by the ref and his touch judges. Frankly, they were awful.
OK, so Cov were the architects of their own downfall, most particularly with that line out throw close to our own line in the dying seconds which went beyond the back of the line out and we lost the ball, from which Nottingham scored their winning drop goal.
But the dreadful refereeing should never have resulted in us being in that position anyway, where a drop goal from the opposition would lose us the game.
I have never seen a ref miss so much in one game and therefore miss so many opportunities to penalise the offending team.
It is my fervent wish that we never have to entertain the ref and his touch judges again.

tonker
Re: Todayís game v Nottingham
tonker (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 17:58
a better performance from cov this week. there did seem some desire & effort throughout. cov were the architects of their defeat, not the ref. 10 points squandered in the first half , when after the first 15 minds cov were dominant. missed penalty & white inexplicably dropping a pass unopposed 5 yards from the line.he also dallied on a deep kick into our 22 which led to a notts try & was yellow carded later.
in the second numerous handling errors & penalties conspired with the prop being carded for a stupid incident after a scrum, led to notts taking control for the last 15 mins.
as the previous poster said cov then fluffed a defensive line.
the starting pack went well, with ram & nutley prominent. sam was dangerous but tired in the second half & maisie had his best game for awhile.
the notts replacement scrum half was v dangerous creating two late tries.
richmond lost so i assume we are safe, which overall is a good achievement.
lets hope the recruitment proves a positive for performances next year. .

poplarside
poplarside (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 18:33
Frustrating performance from Cov with so many errors stopping them dominating the game as much as they should have. Pack seemed to have won the game for Cov 2nd half when they got the upper hand and Cov really should have seen the game out. Agree with previous poster, Notts replacement scrum-half really got them moving late on and the endless pressure finally told. Cov man of the match for me by a mile was Gerard Ellis.

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 18:39
Cov may end up finishing the season in 11th, but at least we have Championship rugby to watch next season. So in reality job done. I was more interested in Bedford v Richmond on Twitter at times during the match.

Disappointing result today, but certainly not surprising. Cov played better than usual, but that's no real consolation. Gibbons has a lot of apologising to do to his teammates tonight. Idiotic behaviour.

Cov have now lost three league games this season by one point, with Cov ahead in all those games before losing out. Even without the later yellow, at no point today did I think Cov would hold out as the scores got closer. Always looked inevitable, even after Notts missed penalt late on. At this level the officiating will always be contentious and varied, but it's the same for all the teams.

Hopefully RW's signings for next season will go towards building the squad for seasons to come and hopefully finishing higher up the league as we go forward.

Duckham walked on water
13 April, 2019 19:29
Firstly, the 2 points won today meant we have secured our position in the Championship, so prime objective of season achieved. Well done to all.

Secondly, it was bitterly disappointing to lose a match we should have won but which we contrived to lose for a myriad of reasons. The unforgivable plays for me were managing to turn a free kick to us into losing a man and a penalty to Notts and the inability to win a lineout and run the match dead.

Thirdly, well played Notts - always dangerous with the ball in hand, their patient build up to a well taken drop-goal was great game management. Look forward to seeing them next season.

With the pressure off, I look forward to an away win.

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:30
I'm expecting two (or even four) wins over Nottingham next season.
They're due that.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:52
After a long walk home and time to reflect I think today's performance was about as much as we could have expected today given the current playing and coaching personell.
Apart from the ARs being unable to judge where kicks went into touch I didn't notice much to complain about regarding the refereeing. What I did see taking place in front me was naivety at the break down leaving the ref with some easy decisions. Go off your feet and you get penalised...
I've found it hard to enthuse about much this season but I'll take two points from today. If it's gained us safety from relegation so much the better, maybe...
Off the pitch I have to say the bar service today was appalling. In all the years I've enjoyed a post-match beer today was the longest I've waited to get served.
The only real positive was Soul Junction - always worth watching yet scarcely acknowledged by the crowd in the bar.

captainscarlet
13 April, 2019 21:08
Well using our coaches analogy of the leeds game..if we take out all of the second half and especially the last seconds of the game .....COV WON.... WELL DONE.

Ben duckworth
Ben duckworth (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 23:45
Quote:
AdminBTCov
I'm expecting two (or even four) wins over Nottingham next season.
They're due that.

Why are they due that?

captainscarlet
14 April, 2019 06:31
Have to say its time to be honest , we have had multiple second rows, various hookers, various lineout jumpers all season.No one combination has worked.So im sorry its time for the coach of the line out to stand up and be counted, its his responsibility.The area of play has been a shambles.
The team has not got better as the season has progressed as we were told it would.We have continued not to learn from mistakes , especially control of the ball and exerting pressure and not giving the ball away cheaply.Let alone killing a game off.
One of the best performances by a coventry prop at the bpa by gerard ellis , his running off the ball and around the pitch was excellent ,add on his tries ...it was a well deserved man of the match performance for me.
Two more games to go, with cov having shipped more points than anyone else in the league and yet to win away from home.What a huge mountain to climb.

PaulRossborough
PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 07:11
I thought our lineout functioned well yesterday. I think we won all but one and won at least two of theirs. For me, yesterday's performance was the best for a while, barring the defence in the second half. I don't feel our bench had the desired impact and in fact changed things for the worse.
Ellis, Dawidiuk and Tuitupou stood out for me.

Aside from the moment of madness, I felt our discipline was very good.

Our attack was strong but what lets us down again is our defence. But hey, we know this and we have a new coach coming in to specifically work on this area so hopefully next season we will reap the rewards.

All views expressed in this post, are my own

timdouglas1
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 07:48
Three minutes left, 9 points clear, we have a penalty. What do we do, kick to touch and try to secure our line out? How about a much better idea. How about our prop smacks one of their players and gets a yellow card and they get the penalty instead? Much better idea. Let's go with that one
How about this one, 9 points clear and about a minute to go, shall we put in a short line out, or maybe throw long and give them a chance to claim the ball and push for a try? Great idea lads, let's throw long
Mindless pathetic game management. I am taking nothing away from Nottingham, and good luck to them, but they didn't beat us, we beat ourselves. Rowland, no disrespect to you from me, be please get your head out of your backside, swallow your pride, and get Jubby back here, because we need his height in the line out, and his speed about the pitch, whether he leaves in May or not. Why on earth was our best forward on the bench? Mindless.George has never put a foot wrong, he deserved to start. Is Dan Lewis injured? His pace would have been a massive concern to Nottingham
Sammy, he was immense yesterday, and he will be missed, not only as a player, but as a character as well. Fantastic man, and he was hurting after the game because he gave his all, yet his team mates threw it away. Well played Gerard, he really carried it to them and deserved to be on the winning side

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2019 07:50 by timdouglas1.

abdabs99rugby
abdabs (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 08:04
I am disappointed by all the negativity being banded around after todays game. Yes it was gutting to loose in such a manner and our form has definitely dipped. However... After 20 minutes of game one v Jersey who of you would not have gratefully taken our current position?. In my mind JOB DONE and we move forward to another season in the championship. A defense coach is vital and I believe on his way and we have bolstered our squad in areas we are lacking..ie 8, 10, 1, 4 and I'm sure more will come. Personally I think when we looked safe certain players who are leaving have taken their foot off the gas but let's get real... We have achieved the most points ever for a newly promoted club and we have a coach and chairman who will not settle for second best. Let's KEEP THE FAITH and get behind the team for next season. See you in Jersey.

Nige H
Nige H (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 08:50
I couldnít make the game yesterday, but I do get a bit frustrated when I hear and read that itís a successful season because we didnít get relegated!!

The problem is most other teams that have come up have gone right back down as I understand it, I accept that. But we are then measuring ourselves against the lowest common denominator, the abject failure of others and the worse case scenario!
So once you measure yourself against the worst or set your standard against that, then not failing then becomes a success.. which I really donít think it is.

Yes obviously itís far better to have stayed up than not, thatís not in question. But should we really be happy with that, Should we really count not failing as a success?

Nige

timdouglas1
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 09:01
Sorry to disagree abdabs, but there is a lot of difference between giving an honest opinion, and negativity. In truth, Rowland has been superb, but in the last few months, I believe he has become a little lost in his own hype. I look forward to whatever new defence coach comes in, but I think there will be a mass exodus soon with many leaving

abdabs99rugby
abdabs (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 09:21
This was never meant to be a short term plan. Rowland had a four year plan and we are currently still a year ahead of that plan. It takes time.. And money... To put together a championship winning team and others have failed on the way. You can't bring in a complete new squad and expect things to be immediately right. The squad have still only had 20 league games together and injuries and suspensions have meant this has been disjointed. There were signs today of what we can achieve but I'm sorry you can't blame the coaches when people back chat, Miss tackles and fail to throw in straight. Nottingham are an established championship side and we should have done the double over them!

Nige H
Nige H (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 09:23
The defence coach one is a strange one for me.
For me the issues weíve more recently had with defence seems to be players just missing one on one tackles, and if players well into their playing careers need a defence coach for that type of thing, then there something wrong!
For me a defence coach is about systems and having the right people in the right place on the park. Not about actually teaching someone how to make a successful one on one tackle, and thatís mostly imho been the problem, certainly more recently.
So Iím not saying we shouldnít have one, just saying Iím not sure that having one will have resolved the problems with missed tackles we have seen.

A bit like having a line out coach hasnít resulted in having a particularly successful line out this season. Or is that just my perception because we seem to have missed a few in important attacking positions? Iíd like to know the stats say for our success? I would guess it would be about 55-65%? But would be interested if anyone actually has the factual stat, Iíd like to be proved wrong.

Nige

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 10:29
Quote:
abdabs
This was never meant to be a short term plan. Rowland had a four year plan and we are currently still a year ahead of that plan. It takes time.. And money... To put together a championship winning team and others have failed on the way. You can't bring in a complete new squad and expect things to be immediately right. The squad have still only had 20 league games together and injuries and suspensions have meant this has been disjointed. There were signs today of what we can achieve but I'm sorry you can't blame the coaches when people back chat, Miss tackles and fail to throw in straight. Nottingham are an established championship side and we should have done the double over them!

I am with you on this.

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 11:27
I've been a Cov fan for longer than some on here, a shorter time than some on here.

I'm sure there will be agreement that being a Cov fan, and that includes Coventry City too, is to embrace an emotion rollercoast of joy, pride, disappointment and rank frustration.

Jon Sharp and Rowland Winter, as the 'faces' of the club, have stated clearly that Coventry, and the fans, are on a journey. We're not even halfway through a plan to return to the Premiership, if they haven't stymied any hope with ring-fencing by then.

We've lost games we clearly should have won. Sometimes games are won on the bounce of a ball, the thinnest of margins in a tackle, a forward pass or unseen infringement.

Am I disheartened? No. Because Cov Rugby is in my blood. It's my club.

Only a few months ago, Sky Blues boss Mark Robins was the chosen one, then the fall guy who needed to be sacked, now the chosen one again. Sport is fickle.

I don't think the return to the Championship has been a success in many ways. The lack of regular meaningful rugby, the lack of revenue in the bar and food offers, the sales in the shop on matchdays. I'm sad I've missed most of the games living down in Cornwall and with circumstances going against me.

But next season, with a following wind, I'll be there to witness defeat, draw or win, always shouting Cov on.

We can blame the referees, but at this level, Cov need to learn to play the referees. That could be the one per centage point difference between a one point loss or a win.

We also need to cut out silly penalties and yellow cards.

How can we have the beating of Nottingham, a time served Championship club, when for 20 minutes of the game we're a man down?

Re players, I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we are unaware of. I also feel that the management know what they want and won't put up with anything less. That, for me, is a good thing. How many teams of the past were fractured by lines between those just wanting to earn an easy buck, those desperate to play for Cov, and those just wanting to get a foot on the ladder.

I still believe and support Jon Sharp's vision, courage and effort in pulling this club, my club, back from the brink. I think last season spoiled us, but I've seen Cov lose more than they've won down the years so I'm used to it.

Gwarn Cov, you're still my club.

Mark

captainscarlet
14 April, 2019 11:40
im very confused..one minute its ok as its part of a four year plan and we will continue to grow. Then the next we should of beat notts an experienced team in the league.Then the loss isnt down to the coaches but to individual errors or discipline.Yet how many games have we lost where we have been bewildered by the tactics by the tactics and the players not changing it, when they dont work.Its all bewildering. Personally we do need to have a more positive approach to the games rather than containment and relying on defence.
Everyone is realistic about what we have achieved, but there was so much more that could of been achieved, within the same setup. Next season will bring new problems to task supporters and management alike.

elmo's hero's
elmo's hero's (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 12:00
Bad lineouts, bad defence, poor at the breakdowns.
So we loan out jubby and preecey.
Don't make sense to me.jubbys had game time but jack really hasn't had a chance.
I know injury to him has not helped but I would of brought them both back for this game to at least see if we perform better in those areas.
Oh well it's the coaches choice,

Camera Shake
Camera Shake (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 12:17
Quote:
Nige H
.... I do get a bit frustrated when I hear and read that itís a successful season because we didnít get relegated!!
Nige

Down the A45 - we'd be delighted to have that frustration this season!!

Congratulations to Cov on staying up.

covchopper
covchopper (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 13:28
I thought the lineout functioned very well yesterday. Clearly Dawidiuk and Woolford are our best lineout operators. The lineout we lost was Tolmie throwing in before the jumper and lifters were set. For me Woolford was man of the match with a couple of steals, tackling all over the park and great lineout play. This Jubb obsession seems strange to me. Good luck to the guy but the coaches will have access to all the stats and they will know who does the hard graft rather than standing out wide looking for offloads. If I was picking 7 aside team Jubby would be first on the list. Id keep him but behind Woolford Oram and Voss for me. What I find strange is putting Dawidiuk on loan when he is clearly our best thrower in as yesterday proved.

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 14:54
Quote:
elmo's hero's
Bad lineouts, bad defence, poor at the breakdowns.
So we loan out jubby and preecey.
Don't make sense to me.jubbys had game time but jack really hasn't had a chance.
I know injury to him has not helped but I would of brought them both back for this game to at least see if we perform better in those areas.
Oh well it's the coaches choice,
I believe Jack was injured again, so couldn't have played anyway.

Nige H
Nige H (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 15:55
Cov c.. Iím perplexed when you say that Ďdawiidiuk is clearly the best lineout operatorí ...just on yesterdayís performance! I think thatís massively unfair on our other 2 hookers.
I wasnít at the game yesterday but Iím guessing he only played 60 odd minutes and even if he hit 100% during that time, how can you compare that to the other 2 whoíve played a lot more for cov this season .. compared to Dís very limited cov game time.
Personally when it comes to line outs I donít think anyone has been consistently hitting the target more than another. But again Iím sure thereís someone out there with factual stats to put some actual meat on the bone. Not that Iím blaming just the hookers, because Iím sure there must be something more to our lineout inconsistency than just the thrower!
Nige

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net