rugbyunion
Latest News:

Unofficial Coventry Rugby
Last-Kick Despair for Cov
Unofficial Coventry Rugby (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 18:50
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2019 17:58 by AdminBTCov.

covkid53
Re: Last-Kick Despair for Cov
covkid53 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 19:43
An on going theme of our season, have thrown away god knows how many points to lose by not that many.

However, our points against tally shows exactly where the problems lie. Having stood firm at home to be almost safe. we've fallen apart and don't look like winning another game this season.

Needs fixing.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 20:06
Congratulations on maintaining your Championship status from Yorkshire. It was always going to be a very different experience from the win everything by 30 points in Nat 1, probably more for the fans than the team.
You can now stabilise and build, and with Ryan Burrows heading your way you should be solid next season.

(Sm128)

abdabs99rugby
abdabs (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 22:08
Thanks for you post. Its great to hear some sense from a neutral stand point. Our fans are great but sometimes expect too much and forget our key objective of this season which was to survive. After 20 minutes of our first game v Jersey we would have ripped your hand off if you had offered our current position.

Good luck with your quest next season... Unfortunately you seem to be the first of what I fear will be many victims of this fantastic game that is spiralling out of control monetary wise. Something has to give as rugby cannot survive in its current predicament.

See you next season 👍🏉

HoboAl
HoboAl (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 10:17
Our biggest signing will be who we announce as defence coach. The timing of Narraway's depature was unfortunate and has had a great impact on our season.

Our fans, me included, perhaps got carried away with our early form. But as I have said before the second sesson after promotion can be tougher than the first.

We have a lot of good players at the club, we have had our share of injuries and teams can take time to gel, it doesnt necessarilly happen after a few games.

timdouglas1
timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 11:53
I have had my little rant on another post, but I have calmed down a little. My final comment regarding yesterday's game against Nottingham regards John Butler. I always look forward to his totally unbiased version of the game, and his comment on BBC Coventry and Warwickshire radio regarding some of the referee's interpretation of the game being indifferent at times must mean he had a stinker, because I have rarely heard John show any criticism of officials before. Keep up the good work John, as I am sure others agree your comments are always spot on

covkid53
covkid53 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 13:39
I agree, good to be safe and we had a roller coaster ride this season. However, the cup competition should have helped with our league form, in that players gained experience of this level without our league status at stake.

One thing is certain, the cash rich clubs with 2-300 fans are disproportionately affecting rugby at upper national league level. On pitch results should be married to a club's off pitch situation, fanbase, stadium, local impact, player development, school liaison and partnerships etc;

We cannot continue to allow a rich man's play thing or premiership feeder club using academy and fringe players to take club places at NL1 and above.

Without a fanbase and all the other things including potential, what are they ? Just a team playing rugby in a field of grass in the back of beyond ? The EFL need to act and require increased minimum standards for each step up.

Rugby is being ruined financially by driving thousands of fans away from the big traditional clubs, they are being denied competition and sponsorship support due to slipping down the league ladder.

Look at Cov, 9th in the league and second only to London Irish having a higher average home gate. Big traditional club, as I mentioned.

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 14:46
EFL? Doubt they're very interested! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2019 17:32 by AdminBTCov.

covkid53
covkid53 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 15:22
Quote:
AdminBTCov
EFL? Doubt they're very interested! 😉

I know, but please, let me have my rant :-)

I'm calm now, honest ;-)

John Butler
John Butler (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 15:36
To be technically correct, our average gate for the season is 3rd behind London Irish & Bedford

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 17:31
Of course CK!
JB, I assumed that was the case, but wasn't sure if Bedford had drawn in two men and a dog yesterday and we'd overtaken them winking smiley

John Butler
John Butler (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 20:35
Cov's excellent gate yesterday was bigger than Bedford's, but not big enough to radically alter the average for the season.
Prior to yesterday, Bedford's average 2,563 & Cov 2,258. Figures I stress are based upon the accuracy of Statbunker, which can be dodgy, but I guess we have to go with it.

tomthepom
tomthepom (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 21:12
Quote:
John Butler
Cov's excellent gate yesterday was bigger than Bedford's, but not big enough to radically alter the average for the season.
Prior to yesterday, Bedford's average 2,563 & Cov 2,258. Figures I stress are based upon the accuracy of Statbunker, which can be dodgy, but I guess we have to go with it.

Official stats are issued from 'HQ' after each round and sent by email to those registered on the GKIPAC media release list. You should be able to get hold of them John, altho' frustratingly they aren't available online. The figures given for average crowds - before yesterday - were 2,499 (Blues) and 2,258 (Cov).

covkid53
covkid53 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 19:51
I really must get my varifocals checked, I missed Bedford Blues average gate on statbunker completely. But again, they are one of the traditional clubs with half decent support so proving my point.

We know that Cov, Bedford Blues and very few others have the potential to progress into the premiership without making a mockery of it crowd wise.

Just imagine Ealing, Loughborough or Hartpury getting there, if it were allowed.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 20:28
Quote:
covkid53
I really must get my varifocals checked, I missed Bedford Blues average gate on statbunker completely. But again, they are one of the traditional clubs with half decent support so proving my point.
We know that Cov, Bedford Blues and very few others have the potential to progress into the premiership without making a mockery of it crowd wise.

Just imagine Ealing, Loughborough or Hartpury getting there, if it were allowed.

You might be surprised at how many supporters would come out of the woodwork once a team reaches the Premiership...

Ben duckworth
Ben duckworth (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 21:08
Quote:
covkid53

Where would Cov play if they were promoted?

Wazeroonie
Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 21:57
Quote:
Ben duckworth
Quote:
covkid53

Where would Cov play if they were promoted?

Coventry City's new stadium?(Sm22)

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 13:51
Updated to add pictures and links.
Apologies for the delay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net