rugbyunion
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
Times story - CCFC to BPA
OldNick (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 10:35
According to The Times, CCFC may yesterday have told the EFL theyíre joining us at the BPA next season.

I wonder if anyone had told the club yet?

Edited to add, the report does also say St Andrews in Birmingham is also proposed, as stated by Tim below - but frankly I donít care about that. I do care about the risk to Coventry Rugby in having anything to do with Sisu.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2019 12:22 by OldNick.

Tim Smith
Re: Times story - CCFC to BPA
Tim Smith (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 10:51
It doesn't actually say that, Nick. It says ' it's emerged as an option with Birmingham City's St Andrews' and it is only 'proposed'. Need to be a bit cautious...

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 12:01
Mind games.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 12:06
Quote:
AdminBTCov
Mind games.

Thatís my take - the next stage will be Sisu attacking Coventry rugby via local media for being prepared to let ccfc die.

covkid53
covkid53 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 12:44
Quote:
OldNick
Quote:
AdminBTCov
Mind games.

Thatís my take - the next stage will be Sisu attacking Coventry rugby via local media for being prepared to let ccfc die.
SISU upping the anti trying to force the council to give them land for a stadium. The council need to be unequivocal and tell them no, under any circumstances and certainly not BPA or Woodlands. Both wholly unsuitable for a 25k stadium.
As a Cov and one time CCFC fan, I would rather the Sky blues fold than the city give in to blackmail and threats.

Moosemagic
Moosemagic (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 13:14
Quote:
covkid53
Quote:
OldNick
Quote:
AdminBTCov
Mind games.

SISU upping the anti trying to force the council to give them land for a stadium. The council need to be unequivocal and tell them no, under any circumstances and certainly not BPA or Woodlands. Both wholly unsuitable for a 25k stadium.
As a Cov and one time CCFC fan, I would rather the Sky blues fold than the city give in to blackmail and threats.

I think you are wrong CC53 I don't think Sisu have any intention of building a stadium, if they had why would they still be arsing about 6 years after the original statement

Phil Reynolds

Bag Inton
Ken I L Worth (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 13:38
SISU's supreme court request to appeal has been rejected....which opens things up nicely for a SISU climbdown and Ricoh negotiations to start...JIT.

Nige H
Nige H (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 08:34

MESSAGES->author
AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 10:04
Hmm. The Bellylaff re-hashing the Times' non-story then.

MESSAGES->author
OldNick (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 11:56
Still somewhat concerned. The reports suggest that Sisuís talks have been with the council, not Cov Rugby. Of course, this could all be complete lies from Sisu. But...
I donít trust the council an inch on matters like this. In particular I donít trust them not to attempt to coerce the rugby club by threatening lease changes, planning issues etc. if they consider it could by them votes from ccfc supporters.

Rob C
Rob C (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 13:28

Diesel74
Diesel74 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 15:11
From what I can discern, with few contacts in the local press in my city nowadays, it's an idea conjured up a journo with contacts on the dailies.

For some, it doesn't matter about truth, it's an idea to write about. It is, apparently, a rehash of a rumour that did the rounds when the Sky Blues went to Northampton.

It's another cudgel to hit the council over the head with. A couple of journos with little knowledge of rugby sitting around talking 'what ifs'.

Personally, I believe there are pros and cons to any ground share. If CCFC were honestly interested, it could bring welcome revenue to the BPA and bars. It would help bring money to the ground redevelopment plans.

There could be positives, not least CCFC remaining in the city.

But, and this is a big but for me - I don't trust SISU. If they didn't bother paying the rent at the Ricoh, who's saying they couldn't/wouldn't default at BPA?

Secondly, and very important, what about Cov United? They were here first and deserve to have first say.

Thirdly, the pitch is too close to the stands, given the way some football fans seem to act. A Birmingham fan has just been released from jail for an assault on an Aston Villa player. Coventry fans stand accused of outrageous behaviour, throwing bottles filled with urine and bags with faeces at Sunderland fans last weekend.

The ground is not big enough for crowds attracted in the EFL, even if the new stands were built and paid for in the summer. The bars are too near the action and football fans, sadly, still need to be segregated as much as possible.

While there could be vital streams of revenue, I fear any groundshare with the Sky Blues would be more trouble than it was worth.

Mark

sk
rustyroof (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 15:53
someone on Sky Blues Talk made the point that putting up a temporary stand, as mentioned in the Times report, would be impossible because Cov have (modified) development plans for this area of the ground to start at the end of the season, which (he claims) are close to being signed off. Someone else has suggested that an announcement regarding development plans is due next week.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net