rugbyunion
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
oh dear - do we need this again next year
Cider Drinker (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 20:56
just read this in local news - burning scarfs and fights inside/outside the ground, unfriendly pitch invasion
I don't call these rugby supporters, maybe more security next year - or move it elsewhere ?

VAarcity game

thoughts ?

(Sm129) Don't let anything get in the way of a good game of Rugby

Albi-Quin
Re: oh dear - do we need this again next year
Albi-Quin (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 06:22
No allowed to write what I think!

Dazman
Dazman (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 10:34
The "Pitch invasion" was not quite as bad as it sounded - just a relatively small number of supporters from the winning side (as happens every year with the varsity match) - and where contained by the stewards. There were probably fewer issues this year within the ground than previous years - a testament to the stewards and security on duty.

Sadly the incident in the report was outside the ground and beyond the clubs' control.

ianbol
ianbol (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 11:39
I used to attend this match up till a few years ago. I ceased going because of the increasing loutish behaviour.

Even then the Club tried to keep the rivals apart. Marjons had the Redrow stand, the decking and the supporters bar. Plymouth Uni had the Eric Johns Stand, the clubhouse and the functions marque bar.

From what I observed, most of the students weren't there for the rugby but for a massive party. Little rugby appeared to be watched.

A massive money spinner though -- several thousend drunks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2017 11:41 by ianbol.

MESSAGES->author
lobina (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 16:50
The club can do without this publicity.

stonehousealbion
stonehousealbion (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 06:23
Quote:
ianbol
A massive money spinner though -- several thousend drunks.

Quote:
lobina
The club can do without this publicity.

Where goes one, there goes the other...

This appears to be a deeply rooted, institutional problem. If you consider that the student population turns over every three years, then there is something within the two organisations that allows this behaviour to re-surface, but which they are seemingly unable to contain. A worrying phenomenon.

I was watching some low level cricket (3rd or 4th XI stuff) at Mount Wise a couple of summers back and got talking with a some Plymouth students. The talk went along the lines that any sporting fixture between MJs and UoP likely to attract more than a few dozen spectators was either banned or subject to high-level approval. That seems incredible to me.

I wonder whether this is a purely local situation (bad for Plymouth/Albion/rugby) or do other cities and sports suffer from this throwback to the 70s?

Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net