rugbyunion
Latest News:

stonehousealbion
County Championships - 2017
stonehousealbion (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 13:01
For those wishing to extend their rugby season beyond Nat 1, here are the local county fixtures:

Sat 06 May

Glos v Devon at Cleve RFC (15.00)

Surrey v Cornwall at Richmond RFC (15.00)

Sat 13 May

Devon v Cornwall at Ivybridge RFC (15.00)

Sat 20 May

Devon v Kent at Barnstaple RFC (15.00)

Cornwall v Herts at Camborne RFC (15.00)

Sun 28 May

Final at Twickenham (winners Div 1 North v winners Div 1 South) - presumably before ENG v Barbarians which KOs at (15.00).

Beyond last year's selections, I'm not quite sure who is eligible/registered/permitted by club to play for whom. Time will tell on that front...

Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!

stonehousealbion
Re: County Championships - 2017
09 April, 2017 20:22
Tamar Cup is tomorrow night (Mon 10 Apr) at Crediton RFC. Teams are up at:

cornwall-rfu

No Albion players in either squad. Is the rumoured "ban" for the Nat 1 season or beyond?

Devonboyy
Devonboyy (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 12:19
I think it is really sad that Albion do not appear to be supporting county rugby this season.
The county championship has benefitted a lot of young Albion players over the years and i bet nearly every other Nat1 is supporting it. Is the issue that Devon and Cornwall are both coached by former Albion coaches?

albion nut
albion nut (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 17:12
Not sure if the Devon coach is an ex Albion man???

Plymalbi200C
Plymalbi200C (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 06:08
Devon site had Dan Parkes as coach when I checked. Is that still current?

Result for the Tamar Cup:

Devon 17 - 33 Cornwall.

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 11:50
Cameron Setter played the first half for Devon. The whole team was changed out for the second half. Devon RFU site has a write up.

[www.devonrfu.com]

No mention of the coach that I can see.

MESSAGES->author
A Nomad (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 13:12
Apart from Sam there were no Albion players in either team.

It has been suggested that Albion players are sitting out this year's County Championship. This in order to have make a complete recovery from the wear and tear of this season prior to pre-season which could start as early as the second week of June. Why? To make a determined bid to gain promotion next season.

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 13:22
Quote:
A Nomad
Apart from Sam there were no Albion players in either team.
It has been suggested that Albion players are sitting out this year's County Championship. This in order to have make a complete recovery from the wear and tear of this season prior to pre-season which could start as early as the second week of June. Why? To make a determined bid to gain promotion next season.

If true, I find this disappointing!

Older players recuperating I could understand, but if ND1 teams are going to stop all their players participating, then what is the future for County rugby?

hills18
hills22 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 22:43
Interesting one as I guess it depends on the importance of players having time off between seasons? If they play in the county championship then if true that training is due to start mid June then they're looking at having 3/4 weeks if that off compared to 6/7.

Devonboyy
Devonboyy (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 15:50
More than half the Cornwall team last year came from Albion and it didn't do Shepherd Stupple Wedlake Freestone CowanDickie Judge Searle any harm this year, in fact it probably helped them and gave them confidence.
I think it looks petty if Albion do not support county rugby especially when all the other Nat1 clubs are. Also didnt Albions owners both play county rugby?
When Albion had their best seasons they also supported Devon.
It also puts players in difficult positions because a few in the past have said how proud they are to play for Devon or Cornwall.
Does the fact that Setter played for Devon mean he is not staying?

stonehousealbion
05 May, 2017 01:04
Cornwall team up for the weekend:

Trelawney's Army

Apparently, no PARFC moratorium on County rugby as Seta and Robin make the starting XV. A certain number of Brickfields regulars are "unavailable" this Sat due to other (non-rugby) commitments. Quite how GD will view this for the rest of the campaign remains to be seen. His quote doesn't appear to rule out future participation - especially for the clash at Ivybridge. Time will tell...

Plymalbi200C
Plymalbi200C (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 07:30
Devon team up for the game up in Briz today:

Devon RFU

Familiar faces on the coaching side. Can Devon step up in this division? Cam seems to have other engagements this weekend...

stonehousealbion
06 May, 2017 16:59
Results from Twitter (various):

Glos 55 - 12 Devon at Cleve RFC

Cornwall trailed by four at the interval (2? x YC) but Robin got a try in the second half.

Knowing GD, I don't reckon there'll be any easy rides back into the team for any absent Albion players on the back of that result. Might be a different story in the Devon team, mind...

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek (IP Logged)
07 May, 2017 07:31
Devon started well and were 10-12 up after 20 minutes.Gloucestershire's class showed through, especially in the second half.

A few Albion players might be just the missing ingredient needed if Devon are going to survive at this level.

hills18
hills22 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2017 22:41
Quote:
stonehousealbion
Results from Twitter (various):
Glos 55 - 12 Devon at Cleve RFC

Cornwall trailed by four at the interval (2? x YC) but Robin got a try in the second half.

Knowing GD, I don't reckon there'll be any easy rides back into the team for any absent Albion players on the back of that result. Might be a different story in the Devon team, mind...

Definitely half an hour to go was still four points behind/ I think a report said 20 today then a turn around (14-10 to 14-34). Listened to this on radio cornwall, was thinking if anyone can turn it around then a GD team can.

Last year a last minute winning penalty was turned down in first game where game was clinched with a try after going to corner so even got them the bonus point. This year Bonus points take on extra significant in you could win all your games with bonuses and still not make the final. Good result to start then, lose and in likelihood you're not going to make the final. That half an hour could be huge in that now the team will have belief - game starts at 0-0 next week so must not count chickens as they say.

Ivybridge awaits Cornwall next week as they face old rivals Devon - I am sure you Devon Albion fans will join in with Camborne Hill come full time (Sm128). There is a train from Plymouth at 12:00 and one at 17:09/ 18:51 back if needed - if going for the 17:09 make sure you know the way back to station - rugby club is not too far from station.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2017 22:56 by hills22.

King Albion
King Albion (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 22:44
There is also a coach leaving from Saltash rugby club and you can book through Trelawny Army website 5:25 and sing song in the club from 11:30. Coach departs 12:45.

stonehousealbion
11 May, 2017 19:44
More Albion names on squad lists for this Saturday at Ivybridge:

Plymouth Sports Gazette

stonehousealbion
13 May, 2017 09:20
Anyone seen ticket prices for this afternoon?

Plymalbi200C
Plymalbi200C (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 19:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2017 19:58 by Plymalbi200C.

stonehousealbion
13 May, 2017 20:01
10 on the gate to see Cornwall take apart their hosts...

Devon 11 - 56 Cornwall

Robin got at least one try; Matt solid at 15 and took over kicking in the second half. He deserves serious consideration for a starting pick on the summer Counties tour to Spain. A slimmed-down Sam Matavesi (wrong BMI for the Navy) also looked good for the rumoured return to Brickfields.

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 07:03
Report from the Devon vs Cornwall match.

[www.devonrfu.com]

hills18
hills22 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 14:52
Quote:
stonehousealbion
10 on the gate to see Cornwall take apart their hosts...
Devon 11 - 56 Cornwall

Robin got at least one try; Matt solid at 15 and took over kicking in the second half. He deserves serious consideration for a starting pick on the summer Counties tour to Spain. A slimmed-down Sam Matavesi (wrong BMI for the Navy) also looked good for the rumoured return to Brickfields.

In a flash, the Cornish roared on by travelling fans were 10-0 up before a try for Devon got them back in a game. Cornwall responded with another converted try, two penalties from the hosts making it 17-11. The game was then hit by a long injury break where talk from a proud Devonian fan was they were still in the game which was correct. These hopes for the home side were dealt a blow before half time as Cornwall added another try, this time through the forwards.

Not long after half time, Cornwall wrapped up the bonus only a few minutes in and never looked back running in more tries. It was nice to see the last one go over as it meant 56 points, more than Gloucestershire put past the same opposition the week before. In this new format where you can win all your games with bonus points and still not get to the final had been thinking all you can do is win your games and hope. Beating the same team by more points I don't think would come into it, it was more a thought what more can you do if you have beaten the same teams by more and still don't make the final. That now irrelevant as Gloucestershire (who Cornwall don't play) were beaten by Herfordshire setting up a winner takes all next week at Camborne.

Devon face Kent next week at Barnstaple/ Cornwall at Camborne.

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 06:56
Article in the herald, showed Devon coach Dan Parkes is pleading with teams to release players for county games. Much of the current squad is ND3. So, who is he talking about? Barnstaple? Exmouth? Albion?

NB Link to the article itself seems to prevent me posting.

MESSAGES->author
BALION PREDATOR (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 18:36

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 11:40
Devon squad for the Kent match announced.

[www.devonrfu.com]

Interestingly, there are 4 Barum players and 6 from Exmouth. It looks a much stronger team.
However, no Cam Setter, or a few others as they are not available.

Devon cannot progress this year, nor get relegated, but points are important as relegation is judged over 2 years it appears.

stonehousealbion
19 May, 2017 19:16
Cornwall team up for the game at Camborne tomorrow. This year's "usual suspects" from Albion make the sheet:

Trelawnysarmy.org

Full background and quotes from GD. And don't forget who is head coach for Herts and England Counties touring Spain this summer...

stonehousealbion
19 May, 2017 21:00
Nile plays for North Midlands (v Somerset) tomorrow:

N Mids RFU

Hadn't realised he played for Devon last year - I was watching Plymouth Duchy at the time...

stonehousealbion
20 May, 2017 07:19
Making the trip to the Dark Side?

Camborne RFC

BBC Weather

stonehousealbion
20 May, 2017 17:11
No details yet, but here's the result:

BBC Cornwall Sport Twitter

stonehousealbion
20 May, 2017 18:47
Cornwall off to HQ next week for the fifth straight time (v Lancs).

Score detail:

CORNWALL 45
T: Matavesi 2, Vinnicombe 2, Notman, Brown, Mankee
C: Shepherd 5

HERTFORDSHIRE 28
T: Shanahan, Dotter (?), Lunnon, Unidentifed.
C: Banks 4

Att: 3,000 (est).

Albion past and present (and future?) doing their bit again. GD sure to be relatively happy tonight.

stonehousealbion
24 May, 2017 06:56
Matt and Robin are off to sunny Spain:

Trelawnys Army

MESSAGES->author
noibla (IP Logged)
24 May, 2017 17:58
Dan Collier picked in the Cornwall squad

[plymouthsportsgazette.com]

Semper Sersum.

stonehousealbion
29 May, 2017 06:35
No joy for Cornwall as Lancs dominate the second half:

plymouthsportsgazette.com

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net