rugbyunion
Latest News:

stonehousealbion
County Championships - 2017
stonehousealbion (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 13:01
For those wishing to extend their rugby season beyond Nat 1, here are the local county fixtures:

Sat 06 May

Glos v Devon at Cleve RFC (15.00)

Surrey v Cornwall at Richmond RFC (15.00)

Sat 13 May

Devon v Cornwall at Ivybridge RFC (15.00)

Sat 20 May

Devon v Kent at Barnstaple RFC (15.00)

Cornwall v Herts at Camborne RFC (15.00)

Sun 28 May

Final at Twickenham (winners Div 1 North v winners Div 1 South) - presumably before ENG v Barbarians which KOs at (15.00).

Beyond last year's selections, I'm not quite sure who is eligible/registered/permitted by club to play for whom. Time will tell on that front...

Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!

stonehousealbion
Re: County Championships - 2017
stonehousealbion (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 20:22
Tamar Cup is tomorrow night (Mon 10 Apr) at Crediton RFC. Teams are up at:

cornwall-rfu

No Albion players in either squad. Is the rumoured "ban" for the Nat 1 season or beyond?

Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!

Devonboyy
Devonboyy (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 12:19
I think it is really sad that Albion do not appear to be supporting county rugby this season.
The county championship has benefitted a lot of young Albion players over the years and i bet nearly every other Nat1 is supporting it. Is the issue that Devon and Cornwall are both coached by former Albion coaches?

albion nut
albion nut (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 17:12
Not sure if the Devon coach is an ex Albion man???

Plymalbi200C
Plymalbi200C (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 06:08
Devon site had Dan Parkes as coach when I checked. Is that still current?

Result for the Tamar Cup:

Devon 17 - 33 Cornwall.

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 11:50
Cameron Setter played the first half for Devon. The whole team was changed out for the second half. Devon RFU site has a write up.

[www.devonrfu.com]

No mention of the coach that I can see.

MESSAGES->author
A Nomad (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 13:12
Apart from Sam there were no Albion players in either team.

It has been suggested that Albion players are sitting out this year's County Championship. This in order to have make a complete recovery from the wear and tear of this season prior to pre-season which could start as early as the second week of June. Why? To make a determined bid to gain promotion next season.

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 13:22
Quote:
A Nomad
Apart from Sam there were no Albion players in either team.
It has been suggested that Albion players are sitting out this year's County Championship. This in order to have make a complete recovery from the wear and tear of this season prior to pre-season which could start as early as the second week of June. Why? To make a determined bid to gain promotion next season.

If true, I find this disappointing!

Older players recuperating I could understand, but if ND1 teams are going to stop all their players participating, then what is the future for County rugby?

hills18
hills22 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 22:43
Interesting one as I guess it depends on the importance of players having time off between seasons? If they play in the county championship then if true that training is due to start mid June then they're looking at having 3/4 weeks if that off compared to 6/7.

Devonboyy
Devonboyy (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 15:50
More than half the Cornwall team last year came from Albion and it didn't do Shepherd Stupple Wedlake Freestone CowanDickie Judge Searle any harm this year, in fact it probably helped them and gave them confidence.
I think it looks petty if Albion do not support county rugby especially when all the other Nat1 clubs are. Also didnt Albions owners both play county rugby?
When Albion had their best seasons they also supported Devon.
It also puts players in difficult positions because a few in the past have said how proud they are to play for Devon or Cornwall.
Does the fact that Setter played for Devon mean he is not staying?

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net