rugbyunion
Latest News:

baatalbion
Kieran Hallet
baatalbion (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 06:12
I'm grateful to Exiled in the Bridge and King Albion for pointing out that Albion are advertising for a new head coach as seen in The Rugby Paper. I've posted the following under a different thread but I feel that this topic deserves its own discussion.

What a shame that we learn of this through a paper. Surely the club should have made a statement to us fans and supporters to put us in the picture before the advert went public.

Kieran has done a great job, particularly when you remember the circumstances in which he took over when Dan Parkes abruptly left. I would have thought that the protocol should have been that the club make a statement thanking Kieran for his effort and commitment and explaining why this move has come about.

Of course, it may be that Kieran has had an offer from elsewhere that he cannot ignore in which case we wish him all the best.

Either way, a club statement before the advert appearing in The Rugby Paper should have been made.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Kieran Hallet
lobina (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 10:23
This will be a great loss, I feel the club were on an upward curve and Kieran was at the centre of it.

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 14:50
I agree. This is not the way to find out.

However, let's wait for more information - it must be forthcoming this week.

Stoke Village Albion
Stoke Village Albion (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 12:20
I know from a VERY good source that the club have decided not to offer Kieran a new contract, instead he has been informed that he has to re-apply for his current role. Not sure if heíll be re-applying, canít really blame him if he doesnít after being treated like that, he had no prior knowledge of the advert going in the rugby paper on Sunday. Shame on the club for not recognising what a good job heís done and extending his contract, like occurs at every other club in the country!

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 14:07
Quote:
Stoke Village Albion
I know from a VERY good source that the club have decided not to offer Kieran a new contract, instead he has been informed that he has to re-apply for his current role. Not sure if heíll be re-applying, canít really blame him if he doesnít after being treated like that, he had no prior knowledge of the advert going in the rugby paper on Sunday. Shame on the club for not recognising what a good job heís done and extending his contract, like occurs at every other club in the country!

This sounds like harsh and unwarranted treatmen - and reminds me of Graham Dawe's dismissal a few years ago (also toward the end of season). Why treat head coaches (or anyone actually) this way?

I understand some frustration with our league position - we have slowly drifted down from contender to upper-mid table, but is that wholly Keiran's fault?

Advertising for the position suggests that they don't have a specific person in mind.

This has the potential to upset some players and risk them moving on .... unless some of the players themselves are quietly voicing a need for change (and I have no idea).

Lifelong Fan
Lifelong Fan (IP Logged)
04 April, 2019 07:00
Sorry I am not a poster but I cannot let this go.

I understand (reliably) that the squad are looking on at this in disbelief and I'm not surprised. This is Albion self destructing (again).

Form a rugby perspective the sheer loss of talent from the squad this summer had a massive impact. Wedlake (now Championship), Crosscombe, Dan Williams, Owen Grace, Ed holmes (now Premiership), Tom Hendrickson (Premiership) and Harvey Skinner (Premiership). Also Sean Lonsdale (now Premiership) and Seta have been unavailable for much of this season.

At 10, Fraser Honey has really struggled to make the grade, Dan Mugford has been out nearly all season and Connor has been great whilst playing out of position. Rumoured big name loans from Chiefs (Lawday and Bodilly and a Pirates centre who I cant remember) never arrived.

If we didn't have the cash to replace these players like with like, fine, so be it, but you cannot look to blame the coach for a weaker team! Unsurprisingly, the team struggled to find themselves early this season in a much more and highly competitive league. The promoted teams have ALL done very well and appear well funded. After Moseley away, Kieron, very maturely, did not panic and told us not to panic and trust the new guys. We have been rewarded with a comfortable league finish and at times spectacular free flowing rugby. Me and my mates love watching this team. Many of those early games were only single late score losses, sure we had a couple of good hidings, but so what?. learn from them and move on.

The younger and less experienced players show great promise and we are only a few players short of being really competitive again. Herbie has been magnificent but has put a lot of miles on the clock.

Now we hear Keiron is treated like this.

Responsibility for this mess, in my opinion, lies solely with a weak, self serving DoR, who is completely out of his depth, and an inexperienced (in rugby terms only) board. Nigel should resign having presided over and giving rugby credibility to this appalling treatment and lack of support and respect to a highly talented and committed young coach. It is a truly RETARDED rugby and human decision. Albion self destruct again.

Albion fan
Albion fan (IP Logged)
04 April, 2019 10:46
I am reliably informed that this decision was taken a while ago and that the players were informed back then as well so this would not have come as a shock.

I am pretty sure he was told that this was happening possibly not when though. There are processes that need to take place when you ask some one to reapply for your role.

In regards to the list of players which were stated as a sheer loss most of these were Exeter players that were never ours and were only on loan.

Wedlake was a huge loss but he was out injured for a whole season when pirates came in for him a higher league more money better opportunity..... why wouldnít he go??? Heís a young lad!!

Also to note Seta is in the services and foremost that is his job, if he is away he is unable to play and if injured they want to keep him uninjured when they need him to represent them v other services.

As for herbie I donít believe this has been any where near his best season and has lost his vocalness on the pitch. Being captain means you have to help nurture any young players on the pitch get the team together talk more. I have seen many decisions on the pitch decided with out a chat with the captain. 3 season ago there was such a togetherness and team spirit which seems less and less.

I have heard that contacts were offered to players and a dead line has now passed, hense the few players who have signed have now been announced.

I donít believe there is one person to blame I think the whole club is lacking direction. They have forgotten grass roots rugby from the minis and colts they become the future of the club. Investment into that structure is the way to sustain players coming through the ranks.

Dave g/w
Dave g/w (IP Logged)
04 April, 2019 11:21
Who is now in charge of the club? What happened to the two who took over with their ten year plan?

Stoke Village Albion
04 April, 2019 12:00
Kieron was told about the decision, but nothing about a public advert, a couple of weeks ago, but thatís besides the point, why make him re-apply in the first place? That doesnít happen anywhere else, coaches and players contracts are either renewed or not and if the club have decided not to renew his contract then they should say so out right. By the same token, will Herbie therefore have to reapply for his role when his contract runs out?! Of course not, so why make the coach do it?

Iím told the players are furious he hasnít been offered a contract.

Of course young players will leave if Championship clubs make offers, and we have no control over Exeter players leaving, I think the point being made is that you canít expect a coach to work miracles when that amount of quality leaves the squad and the on field product will suffer. Nothing a coach can do about that apart from develop what he had which takes time, hence our early season struggles.

stonehousealbion
stonehousealbion (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 09:30
Pure conjecture and maybe not cast iron facts, but here's my tuppence.

Kieran was on a 3 year contract which has now run it's course. His takeover as Head Coach was smooth and effective. Team performance up until this season's loss of experienced was highly commendable. You've got to hand it to him for keeping a credible side on the field this year in spite of injuries and loss of availability. (And he's kept himself sharp enough to step out on to the pitch occasionally.)

Originally, he had a considerable role in the Chiefs Academy in Cornwall, but some of this was ceded to Matt Shepherd when he stepped up to top dog. It's possible that our perfect cousins up the A38 have been making plans for Keiran. What we don't know is his personal agenda. His performance in charge has doubtless increased his profile and earning potential and while he has effectively been challenged to gain promotion with a "work in progress" squad, he may be in demand up country or higher in the leagues. How rooted is he to the SW/Nat 1?

It's a competitive market out there. Maybe he's already out of Albion's price bracket...

Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!

baatalbion
baatalbion (IP Logged)
09 April, 2019 05:48
Stonehousealbion, some very interesting thoughts. I just wish the club would make a statement so that we had a clear picture of what was going on. All this conjecture and confusion would then end.

stonehousealbion
stonehousealbion (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 00:52
I think you would find that PARFC would respond with something along the lines of "It would be inappropriate to comment while this process is running it's course" - with the inference being that determining who will be future Head Coach is their business, not ours.

Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!

baatalbion
baatalbion (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 05:40
The decision regarding who the owners employ to work at the club is absolutely their decision. All I ask is that we are told it is happening when it involves a critical post such as head-coach. We shouldn't have to learn about these things from a third party such as The Rugby Paper.

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 01:52
Will something be announced before the Loughborough game?

Fans should know if this may be the last time we will see Kieran coaching Albion at Brickfields.

A chance for some applause would be good (even if he ends up staying)

baatalbion
baatalbion (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 04:40
I ABSOLUTELY AGREE! It would be beneficial to all to have this out in the open and then have the opportunity to applaud Kieran for his commitment to the club, whatever happens next season.

Cynical Sid
Cynical Sid (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 13:55
So you want a coach who has finished lower in the league every season in charge do you? Season 1 2nd? Season 2 3rd Season 3 6th !!

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 16:22
Quote:
Cynical Sid
So you want a coach who has finished lower in the league every season in charge do you? Season 1 2nd? Season 2 3rd Season 3 6th !!

Not quite the point Sid.

If this is likely to be Hallet's farewell game at Albion then some disclosure gives supporters the opportunity to recognise his efforts if they so choose. If you want to keep your hands in your pockets then you can do so.

Thae opportunity to recognise those about to depart should also extend to players (if any departures are known).

Am I happy with Albion slipping down the table year on year? No. However, I am not sure that the blame rests entirely (or even partly) with Kieran.

Even if it did I think supporters should have the opportunity to recognise his effort.

Commando joe
Commando joe (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 17:41
Not sure if Sid knows much about the game, has he not noticed the improvement of the young local boys over the past couple of seasons .in my opinion he has done us proud, the players like him and his methods. If he goes itís a sad loss to the club.

baatalbion
baatalbion (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 07:27
Dewnansek, I couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks!

Stoke Village Albion
12 April, 2019 07:32
Quote:
Cynical Sid

Quite simply, look at the players that have left for championship (Dacres, Cowan dickie, Wedlake) or premiership clubs (Nixon, Holmes), since keiron took over, and look who heís had to replace them with. Not to mention the drop in quality of loan players available. Nobody could say there have been like for like replacements in terms of quality. If anything the guy has over achieved with the squads heís had on paper in my opinion, and done so on a shoestring compared to the majority of other club in Nat1!

MESSAGES->author
BALION PREDATOR (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 19:04
To Quote the final sentence in the Loughborough match report " I am hopefully the one coaching them, but that decision is out of my hands ".

(Sm72)

Plymouth Bred , Plymouth Born .

C'mon Albiiioooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

MESSAGES->author
lobina (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 19:30
Lets hope he stays.

Commando joe
Commando joe (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 22:07
Top man, brought on the young local boys on, Hope he is given the respect by those making the decisions.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net