Latest news:

Crowd
Discussion started by lobina (IP Logged), 02 August, 2019 12:46
MESSAGES->author
lobina
02 August, 2019 12:46
I wonder what average attendance we would need to be viable without outside cash being put in?

MESSAGES->author
noibla
02 August, 2019 20:12
I'm not sure that you can reach this ideal Lobina, and of course it all depends on what you call viable. Viable to what level is probably something that is always out of reach, having reached a certain level the next step up will require more funds to maintain it and so on. After all the best teams in the land need ever more and more to maintain and improve their lot and then there's always the prices to be paid by said supporters as well, how much will they pay ? when an increase in beer prices doesn't go down very well. And I'm not sure that this could even be achieved in our present league.

Semper Sersum.

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek
03 August, 2019 13:30
This has to a question that the club has the answer to.

They must know the salary costs (subject to any late signings) plus other fixed and variable costs and from there it's a simple calculation.

I suspect we will need more than last year, but with the new additions to the team we can hope for some good results, and good results bring people through the gate.

Noibla's point is a longer term view, and financial success depends on (ever changing) expectations.
However, for 19/20 Albion should know what money they need to break even, and therefore what crowd they need to achieve this.

It would be interesting to know. My guess would be close to 1,500, but it depends on the sponsorship deals.

stonehousealbion
stonehousealbion
03 August, 2019 15:26
I wish it was that simple...

I was surprised to hear the following at a roundball Prem game last season; apparently, pure "gate" money is no longer a major financial factor. OK, different code, different league, blah-di-blah, etc.

From the average Albion "punter's" perspective - cash-strapped, health issues?, coupla pints elsewhere beforehand, going home/elsewhere in the evening, concession ticket/early bird season ticket. Compare the total average on-site spend for one of us against a one-off "corporate" attendee who's there from 12-19.00, spending on someone else's tab, under cover without due regard for the consequences - or the game in front of them...

It's got to be way easier for the Club to chase and secure 10 of the latter than the former. And anyway, you can't control the weather or the Argyle fixture list.

I have no real insight into the squad costs, but the feeling I get is that everyone(?) has a day job and therefore payments are tightly controlled. The Academy will gradually start to nurture local talent and feed it into the team. Luckily our record at this level seems to be attracting the right calibre of "returning" player. And, while not to be taken for granted, there are always the Chiefs' young tyros. I don't think anyone's signing on for the financial rewards.

The word from PARFC is that they made a (very) small surplus overall last season - this amazingly includes a failure to make any profit on beverage sales (expensive, not really disposable containers being thrown away...). The way I see it is they will concentrate on being better at getting profit out of existing custom rather than going all out to up the crowd. Like branded, returnable containers (£1 deposit a la Ampthill/Stortford), more efficient bar service (at last!) and better in-house budget food.

I still find it hard to see why 15 games of regularly spaced Nat 1 (winning) rugby doesn't pull in more of a crowd. I know our decline has coincided with the Chiefs' rise, but surely regular attendance at Brickfields should be more of a draw than schlepping up the A38? Given all the turbulence in the Champ, I can't see the draw of getting back to Level 2.

I know that DV has long arms, but I've no idea how deep his pockets are. It's blatantly obvious that he's not going to throw money at PARFC indefinitely in spite of his somewhat covert enthusiasm for keeping things going. Basically, the future centres around making the finances work at Level 3. (And one day, they'll get around to opening that stadium in Truro...)

Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!

The Joy of Level 7
The Joy of Level 7
16 August, 2019 12:56
Is it actually true that a loss was made on beer sales?!

FWIW, I think the ticket pricing at Albion is too high. I visited at least three other N1 sides last season where the entrance fee was £10. In some instances you could sit/stand wherever you wanted for that.
I guess if thereís a core of support that will watch whatever the cost and if reducing prices doesnít increase crowds significantly thereís no point in doing it, but I do think Albion is expensive relative to others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2019 16:56 by The Joy of Level 7.

Albion Fan Man
Albion Fan Man
22 August, 2019 14:02
I think the key to success for Albion on the field lies very much "off the field". Albion, in the current league are not going to be able to command audiences of much more than 1500 spectators, Mens Day Out is a one off!!

Strict financial control is one thing, and is very much required, but it is the money spent on match day by supporters and sponsors that generate good income. The real key for me though, is the use of the facilities during the week and during blank weekends for corporate events, private functions and the like. Albion have been proactive on Social Media to promote facilities and events, but at the moment, the club is seen as being expensive and out of reach for most Plymothians. Dropping function prices, driving footfall through functions and events will ultimately allow the money to be spent on the squad, and might attract "fence-sitters" to Albion on a matchday.

Dave Venables is a great guy, as are Max, Brian and of course Liz and Ellie, but there is only so far they can go with funding.

On another note, I think the squad looks promising this coming season, the loss of Sheppy was a big one, but I believe with the new signings, the introduction of BG as head coach and the assistance we receive from "up the A38", this season could be a good 'un.

Discuss.........

Commando joe
Commando joe
22 August, 2019 16:21
Plymouth was a garrison town, unfortunately not the case now. However the attendance from local military units has declined over the past few years. Might be a case for trying to attract local units to use the facilities on match days and for functions, if the price was right , it might attract them.

MESSAGES->author
Dewnansek
23 August, 2019 12:07
"Tickets for troops " will help lift Albion's profile with the military, and may lead to greater use of our facilities.

Devonport Services may not be so happy though!

Commando jo
Commando jo
23 August, 2019 21:53
Applied for tickets from tickets for troops ,didnít qualify as I wasnít medically discharged 🤔🤔

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net