rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs finish Prem Cup run top of group.... Next up it's Brizz at Ashton Gate. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
thechiefstribe.com
12 years to the Premiership - Part 1
thechiefstribe.com (IP Logged)
06 June, 2010 09:26
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

MESSAGES->author
Re: 12 years to the Premiership - Part 1
Moorsman (IP Logged)
06 June, 2010 16:05
sorry guys the player link isn't working but I'll let you know when I've managed to fix it.

TCB
TCB (IP Logged)
06 June, 2010 19:39
Some memories there.

The Andy Green/Andy Maunder combo. Great to watch.

Blair Foote. Never liked to take the ball into a tackle, gave some superb hospital passes. Used to have a bit of an effiminate way of running. Not that I ever told him of course. lol.

MESSAGES->author
Moorsman (IP Logged)
06 June, 2010 22:15
player links now working (Sm106)(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
Moorsman (IP Logged)
08 June, 2010 14:56
I've also updated the article with a few notes about each season.

MESSAGES->author
chief pee wee (IP Logged)
08 June, 2010 15:05
TCB, I don't agree with your assessment of Blair Foote. He was agreat footballer and it was a shame he went back to New Zealand

MESSAGES->author
Hototo (IP Logged)
08 June, 2010 15:50
Yes, always impressed by Blair Foote. Very good at the breakdown.

Moorsman - I guess Ricky Pellow should be in bold too!

MESSAGES->author
Moorsman (IP Logged)
08 June, 2010 16:00
HoToTo - he should and now he is.

ArmyChief2010
ArmyChief2010 (IP Logged)
08 June, 2010 18:25
For what it's worth, in my view, Blair Foote was an excellent player and one of the first of the new signings which Ian Bremner brought to the club. In the previous year Bryan Easson and Colin Laity were stand-out players.

Isn't a bit of nostalgia nice!

TCB
TCB (IP Logged)
08 June, 2010 19:35
Apologies for my disparaging comments regarding Blair Foote. I have him confused with a No. 10 that used to play either around the turn of the Century or just after.

Racking my brains now to think who it was. Only stayed with us for a season or two. I expect it will be in the next installment of the route to the Premiership.

I'll correct my statement when I remember who it was.

Tony

MESSAGES->author
DancesWithScrumpy (IP Logged)
08 June, 2010 21:09
Who was the massive south sea islander who played on the wing for one season? I think he was on loan from worcester. He came with a pretty decent flanker called vaili or viali. I remember watching him at the county ground and laughing at him just bulldozing opposition wingers out of the way. He couldn't turn or sidestep, he was just an irresistable force!

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
08 June, 2010 21:43
That would be Saiosi Vialli, who came along with Dale Rasmussen who both then went to Worcester, with Dale still there. I think Dale played centre though as he does at Wuss.

At the end of their last game for us I went onto the pitch with my family and Saiosi kindly posed for a photo with us, despite the fact that he had played the whole game with a broken rib sustained in the previous game. Such was his determination to pay Exeter back for the break we gave him in this country, don't know where he is now.

TCB
TCB (IP Logged)
08 June, 2010 21:50
Got it. Been racking my brain (what's left) all night.

Sam Howard was the No.10 I was referring to above. Apologies to Blair Foote if he reads this.

MESSAGES->author
Hototo (IP Logged)
09 June, 2010 07:49
I think Janner_75 was meaning Sione Kepu, who played for us on loan from Worcester in 2004-5. He was a winger, a cousin of Jonah Lomu. Went to play for Toshiba in Japan.
Siaosi Vaili & Dale Rasmussen came to Exeter together, and both then signed to Worcester (I think when Worcester got promoted). As Geronimo Jim says, Vaili was a flanker & Rasmussen a centre, both quality players, and Rasmussen was still playing at Worcester last season. From a quick google, Vaili moved on to a club in Italy.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
09 June, 2010 08:04
Ah yes, it was the mention of the two together that threw me.

Kepu was immense (literally). The first time I saw him was at a preseason game at Redruth, he came on in the second half and with his first touch on the left wing stormed about 60 metres to score leaving no less than 4 Reds players in his path. Three of them neaded treatment of some kind and it was quite amusing to see their physio not knowing which bundle of rags to go to first! All got up and continued to play but weren't quite so keen to tqackle the man mountain again!

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
09 June, 2010 10:27
Vialli and Rasmussen came to us for half a season in order to be noticed by a Prem club, that was always the deal with them as was the time that chris malone spent with us before he went to Bath. Bremner was very good at attracting those type of players to Exe. Laity and To'ou Vaega (spelling?) were further examples. IIRC Blair Foote had to go back to NZ as his visa expired. The "funniest" run was Mark Chatterton's who used to play on the wing mid 90's and had a very "high stepping" style, as he was tall, very thin and had long hair he did look slightly odd.

Looking at the lists I am surpriesed by how many players (25) I can't recall at all, either what they looked like or where they played. I'll have to go back to the old squad pictures in the relevant programmes and see if I can jog my memory. Of those who have retired from playing I would say that Bob Armstrong is probably the most talented player on the lists.

MESSAGES->author
09 June, 2010 12:56
aha well done guys, yes the man I am thinking of was indeed Sione Kepu. That dude was a monster! Other barnstorming players I remember are prop James "try machine" Alvis and centre Brian Meinung who was about 5'9 and weighed about 16 stone.

chiefswatcher
chiefswatcher (IP Logged)
09 June, 2010 19:25
Quote:
Janner_75
aha well done guys, yes the man I am thinking of was indeed Sione Kepu. That dude was a monster! Other barnstorming players I remember are prop James "try machine" Alvis and centre Brian Meinung who was about 5'9 and weighed about 16 stone.

janner_75 - your photo? did nigel chaunter click that one?

it is just sooooooooooooooo flattering.

im falling in love . . . .

X

MESSAGES->author
minuteman (IP Logged)
09 June, 2010 19:55
Sione was just amazing to watch, for me the player that stands out as a 100% each match was Ian Brown.

MESSAGES->author
09 June, 2010 21:57
Quote:
chiefswatcher
Quote:
Janner_75

janner_75 - your photo? did nigel chaunter click that one?

it is just sooooooooooooooo flattering.

im falling in love . . . .

X

Why thank you chiefswatcher, and I must say there's absolutely no inbreeding in this part of Devon at all...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net