rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs beat Wasps and stay 2nd in AP ..... Next up it's Sarries at Sandy Park.... the fun continues .......

Contributions etc. to - thechiefstribe@gmail.com Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
MESSAGES->author
Nacho
Big Bob (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 17:48
If you check out the Premiership Rugby Player stats - which at time of writing do not show todays data - then you will see that Steeno has scored 196 premiership points and Nacho has 172. If you add his 15 point haul today then he is up to 187, and could overtake Steeno soon.

NB this is not anti-Steeno - we need them both!

Exeter Chiefs - living the dream!
Thoughts are like arrows: once released , they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim

MESSAGES->author
Re: Nacho
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 18:53
A number of Premiership sides would love to have two Outside Halves of this quality in their 22. Nacho seems to get better game by game and scores the big points when necessary. It is comforting knowing that Steeno is on the bench as cover and as an impact player.
Wonder how Ryan Davies is feeling after his new team have now lost 3 times to the team he left!

brent
brent (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 20:27
even if he is selected for argentina for the 4 nations we need to keep/re-sign nacho and find a decent cover for steeno whilst nacho is away

MESSAGES->author
Chief caps (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 21:18
I think this is unlikely to happen, Rob did state that with both nacho and comacho probably being called up into the Argentina squad he would be able to cover the winger but Nachos position would be more of a problem which lead me to believe we might not be offering him an extension even though he's playing brilliantly and deserves one.

SillyMidOn
SillyMidOn (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 22:55
The last Argentina game is the 6th of October. It's not like Nacho (and Gonzo) are going to miss a horrific amount of the season. If it were this year, they'd miss 6 league games. Not great of course, but hardly catastrophic.

I really hope they keep him on if we can, though it wouldn't suprise me in the least if some of the big boys of the European club game were sniffing around him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/02/2012 22:55 by SillyMidOn.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 23:39
Sign him up now!

CullyChief
CullyChief (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 23:51
Sign him up now! This guy is a class act through and through.

MESSAGES->author
Anguschief (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 23:51
how nailed on is the call up for nacho? who else is out there looking good for them at the moment. if you put it like sillymidon said 6 league games isn't a huge issue. its only like the world cup this year. i vote sign him on again

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 08:43
We have limited finances, I believe Rob will make the best decision for the club and team. I remember all the moans about Davies leaving after his great efforts at Sarries, I still believe we couldn't compete with the wage on offer.
We are short of 10 at the moment, I to wish to keep Nacho, but I do not know all the clashes he will face with the league games and how that will effect the wage we can offer that he will accept, after all we will have to get a decent 10 to cover who will ask a decent wage no doubt.

As others have said in Rob we trust.

noisychief
etnchief (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 08:53
Look how tight the middle of the league is, Nancho so far this season has made a big difference putting us right near the top of the tightly gapped section and helping us if the league ended today towards an HC cup place, maybe if we qualify we might be able to afford to sign him up again. If it was up to me i would sign him, but again i do not know the finances at the chiefs and how is lined up to be signed and how is leaving and staying.

#inrobwetrust

MESSAGES->author
chief_bald_eagle (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 09:13
My recollection is that Rob said Nacho would miss 8 out of 22 Premiership games. He didn't rule out signing him, just made clear it's not without issues. He's been a superb signing by Rob so he won't let him go without a fight.....

brent
brent (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 09:16
when you consider how long we have been losing players to injury..6 to 8 weeks does not seem any different...i get the financial argument...but i think we need to invest in this position & player - perhaps RB`s statements are part of trying to negotiate nacho`s wages down to a mutually acceptable level !

also we did have steeno, davis and nacho at the club together for a while....so 3 quality fly halves can be done within the budget...just need to find the right cover at the right price

we also have to consider if X continue to improve then we will eventually lose players to internationals so X will need to get used to managing this (I`m sure RB can !)

StewardSaffin
Little MissChief (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 09:19
Nacho is top class and delivers week after week! Yesterday's performance was outstanding and the man should b given a pen right away!

MESSAGES->author
Dawlish chief (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 10:01
please don't let him go! Week after week, he's done tge business. As said earlier 8 from 22 isn't too many, ut I guess some jet lag got to be taken into account, tgeres a lot of travel in southern hemisphere.

oldbean
4everchief (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 11:12
IMO it will cost more to find the type of quality fly half we would need to cover Nacho than it would to re-sign him.
I just can't see where Rob would pluck another Ignacio Mieres out of thin air as cover or replacement.
So in short if you haven't already... sign him up Rob before he thinks about going elsewhere.

MESSAGES->author
Heavichief (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 12:07
What about Cup games next season? Will he be here for those? Losing your first choice 10 for 8 weeks is incomparible to losing another player for that long.
To people that say we cannot find another Mieres, how many of you had heard of him before we signed him up? Therefore is it not possible that Rob can find another player of that quality in another league? If we are playing HC rugby next season it will be difficult for a fly-half elsewhere to not sign for us.

oldbean
4everchief (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 12:52
Quote:
Heavichief
What about Cup games next season? Will he be here for those? Losing your first choice 10 for 8 weeks is incomparible to losing another player for that long.
To people that say we cannot find another Mieres, how many of you had heard of him before we signed him up? Therefore is it not possible that Rob can find another player of that quality in another league? If we are playing HC rugby next season it will be difficult for a fly-half elsewhere to not sign for us.

I think it boils down to money more than anything,the club would receive no compensation from Argentina while he was included in the national squad,the way I read it,I think this was the main stumbling block.
Like you say Heavichief if,and it's still an IF, we were to get into the HC we probably would look attractive to some quality fly half's out there in other leagues, but how many of them are out of contract at the end of the season.
I'm sure Rob will get it sorted.

Garnett
Garnett (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 13:14
Realistically we can't use him next season.

He will miss almost half of the season when you add the Autumn internationals. However good he is this is not acceptable for a number 1 fly half.

It's difficult but Rob is right. We need a good start to the season. Time to go shopping!

Garnett

ChiefBottleWasher
ChiefBottleWasher (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 15:46
I think he should stay , it just needs a sensible contract with the right conditions in it if he is picked for Argentina , the issue is whether you can get enough cover at short notice if it happens.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 15:58
According to the Rugby Paper Nacho is the third highest point scorer in the Premiership with 162 points (behind Tom Homer and Nick McLeod). Exeter have scored 276 points this season so it does not take a mathematical genius to work out the importance of this player to our team.
If we are to be a consistently successful side we are going to lose players to International calls and we have got to learn to live with it.
IMO, if he wants to stay, sign him on long term contract.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net