rugbyunion
Latest News:

........Now it gets serious Chiefs return to AP action with a visit to London Welsh ...... the fun continues .......

Contributions etc. to - thechiefstribe@gmail.com Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

MESSAGES->author
Re: Nacho
Moorsman (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 17:14
Quote:
PhilW2010

Some of you need to consider the wider implications of "paying any price to retain or sign "star players".
It will be no consolation to anyone that supports Exeter Rugby Club if the board / RB splashes the cash to secure top players...only to see the club end up in financial trouble.

and the chance of that happening is:.........

no chance!

MESSAGES->author
Dawlish chief (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 17:46
Quote:
Moorsman
Quote:
PhilW2010

Some of you need to consider the wider implications of "paying any price to retain or sign "star players".
It will be no consolation to anyone that supports Exeter Rugby Club if the board / RB splashes the cash to secure top players...only to see the club end up in financial trouble.

no chance!

Interesting question, RB and TR are shrewd people , I'm sure they won't lead us into damnation, but it has been stated a lot earlier that eventually, ERC will have to attract big name players to compete in Prem.

I guess Nacho at the moment is not a big name yet, so thus his asking price v availablity is on the positive side for us. Unless this club is in trouble now which I somehow doubt, judging by Moorsman's comment and looking around every Saturday, surely this is an investment not a drain on resources?

MESSAGES->author
Heavichief (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 17:49
I say release him. Hes great, but if he isnt here for half the season then whats the point?
So potentially next season we could be paying his wages whilst he is away and we have Steeno playing for us with Dorrian and Slade as cover? That just doesnt sound like an ideal position for us to be in tbh. What if Steeno gets injured again? I dont think the other two are ready for Prem rugby yet.

MESSAGES->author
Big Bob (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 17:56
Quote:
Good thread by the way Big Bob! - Hill Barton Brave
Thanks HBB .. and it just started with a few stats...

Exeter Chiefs - living the dream!
Thoughts are like arrows: once released , they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim

MESSAGES->author
Dawlish chief (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 18:01
I don't see where half the season comes from, the Southern Hemisphere competition goes on till October. That's the second month of the Prem and unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Argentia play in the 6 nations or 7 nations do they?

So on the assumption he MAY play for 8 matches total of Cup games and Prem up to the end of October and perhaps one or two November tests, that's not the end of the world is it?

It has got to be worth the risk surely.
Nothing ventured......and it means we need another good No 10, and there's no sign as yet of one travelling down the M5.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2012 18:03 by Seaside Chief.

WOODBURYCHEF
WOODBURYCHEF (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 18:27
I disagree with the opint earlier, were here to develope english talent so we can win the world cup.... Is that the purpose of the chiefs?? or is that the purpose of the league? That is a huge subject which deserves its own thread.. Title being MEANING OF RUGBY.

Chiefs need good players to compete at the top level, when you have them you shouldnt be so quick to offload them. Look at all the top clubs they have juggling acts to do all the time with inernational players,, its part of being in the big time surely...

chief in exile
chief in exile (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 19:13
Nacho will not have a rest after a long hard English season before going straight into a International tournament. He will then have the November Internationals and get to us for December. With no pre season or any rest period, will he play for us before Christmas? Is that value for money?

Garnett
Garnett (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 19:15
Seaside Chief- Argentina then have 3/4 Autumn international in Europe. Hence we will not get them back until December and they will not have had a break in the summer so you can't ask them to come straight back.

Woodbury Chef - the whole funding of the Premiership is predicated on having a percentage of England Qualified Players in your squad. Only 2 overseas playeers are alowed subject to EU exemptions and others. This is from the Aviva site:

To encourage the growth and development of English players in Aviva Premiership Rugby, which will then hopefully increase the success of the national side, clubs who reach or go beyond target of English Qualified Players (EQP) are eligible for payments. This target currently stands at 14 of a 23 man squad or about 63.6%.

Rugby and cricket have always had this set up. Wendyball doesnt and suffers as a result.

Garnett

50pointer
50pointer (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 19:59
To argue that it is not worth keeping or signing international players because we would only get the benefit of them for a limited period is ridiculous. To progress as a club we need to sign better players from time to time otherwise we would get left behind. Nacho is a quality player who I think we should keep, if he gets selected for Argentina so be it and the best of luck to him, what about TJ, if he were to be selected for the England summer tour of South Africa and then the Autumn internationals would we not want to keep him either? I think the delay in the announcement of Nacho resigning may be to do with him and the club still negotiating the finer details of his contract, but I maybe wrong. Also, more "big names" in our squad will, IMHO, boost ticket sales which generates more income which allows the club to grow.

minichief
minichief (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 20:12
I agree with you 50p he is a quality player and hopefully Rob will resign him. After all we have players who through no fault of their own are out injured for a much longer time than Nacho would be absent for.Who knows in the future we might have more players chosen for International duty so would we not want them to sign for us or Rob not sign them for that reason?

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 20:46
Agree with 50P, although I believe the difference is with England players we would get some level of compensation, which is not the case with the 4N teams.*

All prem teams get a big pile of cash via the RFU for the EPS anyway, whether you provide any players or not, so hard to discriminate against in England player in a similar situation.

*That said, I think it is only of the level needed to fund an acadamy player to replace the England selected player whilst he is away, so not really a deal breaker.

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 21:00
Quote:
Moorsman
Quote:
PhilW2010

no chance!

That's right Moorsman.
Hopefully the business brains behind the club will never let that happen.

And that is precisely why the business brains must make the decisions after they have fully asses & considered all the situations, implications & options with Mieres...before signing him up to something that could cost us in the longer term ?

I fear that if decisions like this were left up to some of the supporters on here, the ones that wear the rose tinted specs, We would very soon end up with a whole host of "stars" in our squad...& a soding great Deficit in the bank balance to go with them!

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 21:19
Fortunately we have this board to allow every opinion to flourish. The board that matters however is the one made up of TR and colleagues which, in turn, is answerable to the members through the Trustees, all of whom are long term club men. Unlike Wasps, Sarries, Worcester and almost all the other clubs in the Prem this club is still safe from megalomaniac owners and glory hunters. Long may it continue that way. The decision that Rob makes about the future not only of Ignacio but of all the players in the squad will be based on what is best for the club and its long term future. We are in a very good place by comparison with many of our rivals.

ChaderExe
ChaderExe (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 22:16
Well I'm happy with a top 4 finish and HK qualification from a bunch of no names, no internationals, who cant pass the ball, run without dropping the ball, do a decent line out, are unable to bind in the scrum and need a blind referee to help them win matches.

and a bunch of overpaid board members what do they know?

and dont get me started on the coaching staff, breaking players arms so they can get a penalty.

WOODBURYCHEF
WOODBURYCHEF (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 22:17
again this fearfulness of having "STARS" if were gunna be top top european side of the future we might end up with a few stars! oh no... god help us if we end up with a george north or an o'gara. What would we do? and I dont think we can quite say nacho is a STAR! talented and full of potential and consistant and exciting to have around,he definetly is

i know that was a little fesicious, but you get my point, the big teams have some big names its the nature of the beast.

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 22:31
We have to cut our cloth to what we can afford, when we get full premiership funding and the stadiums revenue raising ability is maximised we will sign the stars required.
A certain team up the road reached to far to quickly and ended up renting the stadium they once owned.
If its financially viable to keep Nacho, I am sure Rob will do so.

CullyChief
CullyChief (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 22:34
Alongside all the logical arguments, very intelligently put with a hefty dose of financial realism to boot, isn't there also room for the heart as well as the head? I just like Nacho. He's been great for the club, definitely taken us on a level or two, and he's one of us. I'd hate to see him go.

oldbean
4everchief (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 23:10
Quote:
chief in exile
Nacho will not have a rest after a long hard English season before going straight into a International tournament. He will then have the November Internationals and get to us for December. With no pre season or any rest period, will he play for us before Christmas? Is that value for money?

If Rob could get him to commit to a 3 year contract I think that would be value for money.winking smiley

WOODBURYCHEF
WOODBURYCHEF (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 00:26
good thread!
#hottopicsmiling smiley

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 00:54
I know he kept us waiting last year before re-signing, But I would rather if he is going to he does sooner rather than later.

Dont want to leave it too late and then find ourselves unable to find a replacement before the start of next season.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net