rugbyunion
Latest News:

........Wanted. ...articles to see the site through the summer ...... the fun continues .......

Contributions etc. to - thechiefstribe@gmail.com Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

MESSAGES->author
Re: Disappointing
clalan (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 11:27
we have to get back to looking after the ball, going through the phases. We haven't the speed at the moment for us to keep kicking possession away.
We looked so much more dangerous when we did keep the ball.

But things aren't bad, again we lost to a team that on paper should never look like losing to our "no star, or cap" team.
Every game we play Bath we get closer, next season we will win, but that's the great thing we are in the position to talk about next season, that's something to smile about.

MESSAGES->author
Heavichief (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 11:59
Chiefs were poor and predictable, there is no way of arguing against that. Cant wait for our line-breaking backs to come back!

brent
brent (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 12:19
where will our next try come from?

take away the baxter charge down and we haven`t scored another try for 3 games..not being over critical its a fact

all is not lost but as i posted near the start of the season luke, sireli and josh are our big runners in the backs - we can afford to have 1 out injured at most 2 but when all 3 are injured we struggle to do anything other than give 100% in defence and graft really hard....the problem with that is it usually results in more injuries and then becomes a vicious circle.

MESSAGES->author
Big Bob (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 17:50
You have a point Brent, if you take a look at the Premiership table we have scored only 20 tries, and are only above Wuss (13), even the Falcons have scored 21.

BUT the good news is comes when you look at tries against, we have 24 tries against and have seven teams below us. So not all bad news.

We could do with Sireli back soon and from the last members meeting Rob has indicated that he knows we need to score some tries.

In Rob I trust.

Exeter Chiefs - living the dream!
Thoughts are like arrows: once released , they strike their mark. Guard them well or one day you may be your own victim

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 18:34
Quote:
Otto-7
So, What did we do against Exeter that teams like Leicester did'nt.
After all Bath have been easier to read than the "beano" for most of the season.

You caught us on a bad day and at a point in the season where the number of players out injured are causing the players who are playing every week to start to suffer serious fatigue.

Frankly I thought that both sides were poor and the officiating was worse.

Given the difference between the sides in terms of international caps and wage bills I would be much more worried if I were a Bath supporter than I am as an Exeter supporter.

On a broader note one of the reasons that we aren't scoring tries is that opposition sides are persistently killing the ball in the 22. If you lack the players who can score the "unstoppable try" that sides like Quins and Leicester have and have to graft for your tries, as we do, then sides will concede penalties to you ad nauseam. Refs have to get tough on "professional fouls" in the 22 and be unafraid to bin players and award penalty tries. Only that way will you get sides like x, y and z in particular (you fill in the names) to start to play to their undoubted abilities and stop trying to win by what I consider to be cheating. "We can score more points than you can" (the Quins way) is far more appealing than "we'll stop you scoring by any means at our disposal" which we've seen several times this season.

All of that said, however, it is a tribute to how far we've come that sides feel the need to try to stop us scoring rather than just blowing us off the park in the way that we used to do to Sedgeley Park, Esher etc in National One. Don't forget that last year the pundits all had us down for an immediate return to outer darkness (sorry, the championship) and this year they all had us finishing 10th. We may yet finish 8th (Gloucester, Saracens and Worcester away and Northampton home could, garner us as few as 4 points between them) but I fancy one of Irish or Bath to end up between us and the Worcester/Wasps/Newcastle trinity of unloveliness that makes up the bottom quartile.

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 22:46
Quote:
Geronimo Jim
sauce is for chips. I had a few alcoholic drinks along with a large number of othet people.
Not about to apologise for it or inaccuracies either.

Live the dream, one day you will wake up.

That comes as no surprise what so ever !

And one day you will wake up & realise that how ever much you try & bully people off of these boards with your often personal, rude & defamatory comments....it won't always work !

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

Hill Barton Brave
Hill Barton Brave (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 00:23
Most of it's already been said but I'll put my two pennies worth in nonetheless...

On balance I think Bath did deserve to win. They controlled the 2nd half well. And the fact that none of us have had any significant moans about Mr Rose is probably also fair.

In such a close game we really needed to capitalise on our chances and for me there we two we missed from set pieces. A scrum in a great position where we gave away a penalty. And then the lineout at the death when we were in the perfect position to sneak the win. (why throw long when you're 12-9 down and a couple of minutes to play?)

Perhaps it would have served us better if Tom Biggs' try was (a try that is) and Olly Barkley had brought his kicking boots with him? We seem to play our best after we've given the opposition a head start!

Talking of which...roll on Sale next week. Another big ask as they look like they performed really well this weekend. Let's hope we don't give them another 20 point lead.

bandit boy
bandit boy (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 08:27
Comparing the highlights of the remainder of the week end matches with ours, the noticeable difference is the LACK OF TRIES OR TRY SCORING OPPORTUNITIES. I thought that we were lacking imagination from the backs throughout the match. Yes they defend well but why is it that they appear to run to contact rather than run to gaps or space. The return of Sireli is being bounced around, I am not sure that is the answer, however I look forward to being proved wrong. I believe the backs need to be shown a few highlights from the weekend to show what is possible. Without the ability to score tries we are going to struggle against anyone and everyone.

shaun220
ancient hiker (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 12:12
It was a disappointment to lose on Saturday but I think we have to accept the guys had a bad day at the office. It probably feels really bad as Bath is considered a local derby game and we have not beaten them yet in the premiership. If they came from the other side of Birmingham I doubt it would have felt as bad. No team is going to win every game.
After meeting some of the players while in Prato I know they will be feeling as bad as the faithful were Saturday evening. The up side is we don't have to wait  and dwell on the loss before the next potentially exciting home game,Sale. You know in your heart the guys will be working hard this week to be ready for that encounter. This is the team all the  "experts" said would go right back down and look where RB and the guys have taken us. 
Keep the faith 

MESSAGES->author
Dawlish chief (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 13:22
Quote:
ancient hiker
After meeting some of the players while in Prato I know they will be feeling as bad as the faithful were Saturday evening. The up side is we don't have to wait  and dwell on the loss before the next potentially exciting home game,Sale. You know in your heart the guys will be working hard this week to be ready for that encounter. This is the team all the  "experts" said would go right back down and look where RB and the guys have taken us. 
Keep the faith 

Agree AH - RB will be instilling confidence and spirit them as we speak. There's a lot of fight in the Lads, one bad day at the office means nothing.

They'll be sharpening the harpoons for Saturday.

MESSAGES->author
chief_bald_eagle (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 14:59
We'd had a couple of results that went our way mainly because the opposing 10's hadn't taken their chances, so although disappointing the Bath result is not entirely unexpected and certainly not the end of the world.

Otto-7 was enquiring how Exe beat Tigers, the answer was with 11 of the starting 15 being from the Championship team, which is a measure of how far they've come.

RB must have been frustrated by what have proved to be long term injuries to Sireli, Josh and more recently Luke. Add the fact that Nadolo's stay with us was cut short...

The guys that have come in have held their own brilliantly, but we've lost/not had available some of the impact players RB has brought in.

Regardless, we've won 50% of our games, overall and home and away. 4th in the away league table, but SP isn't quite the fortress it was?

8 wins, 8 bonus points - half way to perfection, which isn't attainable so glass more than half full from where I'm sitting...

Looking forward to the Braves v Wasps tonight - keep up the 100% record (Sm152)

MESSAGES->author
Little Plums (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 16:34
Quote:
bandit boy
Comparing the highlights of the remainder of the week end matches with ours, the noticeable difference is the LACK OF TRIES OR TRY SCORING OPPORTUNITIES. I thought that we were lacking imagination from the backs throughout the match. Yes they defend well but why is it that they appear to run to contact rather than run to gaps or space. The return of Sireli is being bounced around, I am not sure that is the answer, however I look forward to being proved wrong. I believe the backs need to be shown a few highlights from the weekend to show what is possible. Without the ability to score tries we are going to struggle against anyone and everyone.

Agree - penetration is key and Exe are sadly lacking in this regard.

Naqers isn't a panacea, no, but he's one of the best in the league and certainly the best we've got. He has vision and as a fast, agile lump of a man he creates panic in defences. With panic comes the space and gaps that you speak of.

I think it's very telling that a world class player like Camacho hasn't scored for the Chiefs yet. The only time he looked to have any space at all on Saturday was when he came off his wing and ended up hurdling the ruck. You wait and see if that changes when he has Sireli inside him taking out two of the opposition and still getting the ball away.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 17:04
Spot on Little Plums, we need a man like that who has to be double manned to create space for others. If he doesn't break the gain line it's usually because 2-3 defenders have stuck to him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/02/2012 17:05 by Geronimo Jim.

MESSAGES->author
Dawlish chief (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 17:36
I agree with Little Plums too. Whilst we've been winning, the tries have by and large, dried up since Sereli and Josh have been out.

Once the big man is back to 100% fitness ( and I hope that's soon ) we should see Camacho and Jessy start to score again.

Not to take anything away from anyone else though, we just need to get the backs moving again.

MESSAGES->author
TAKODA (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 22:22
Still think we play far too flat at times, we tend to receive the ball stood still, it's not that difficult to tackle something that's not moving.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net