rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs beat Wasps and stay 2nd in AP ..... Next up it's Sarries at Sandy Park.... the fun continues .......

Contributions etc. to - thechiefstribe@gmail.com Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

goss8800
THE CROWD AND KICKING
Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 08:09
This problem is now getting to out of hand. When either team was taking a kick there was shouting and banging from both supports. I will stay it again it was from both supporters.

If the stewards won't deal with this problem. The real rugby supports should be speaking to these people to sort out the problem. Rugby is starting to become like the round ball game

MESSAGES->author
Re: THE CROWD AND KICKING
Sioux Chief (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 09:34
I get the feeling that there are a lot of people attending SP lately who are primarily there for the Ale and a good day/evening out firstly and the the Rugby is a side event. The fact the England/Wales game was on the big screen as a prelude thus our game kicking off at 6 rather than 3 doesn't help. More drinking time(more revenue for the club, admittedly)and we all know how that ends up. I like a pint or ten but I go to watch the rugby first.
The ETN is getting very popular and nearly almost full every game to the point where people are standing in gangways and at the front, causing an obstruction and viewing issues for my lad and a few other youngsters. It is becomming annoying........as is the fact I and my lad are telling people to hush at the kicks, both home and away fans!
I converted from the round ball game a few years back because of various reasons but mainly because my lad felt safe, the atmosphere was friendlier, the banter is excellent, the fans can mix, you can stand/sit and have a pint and you don't get so many morons and it was mostly respectful. I hope it stays this way and doesn't go the way of Football.

To sit with Elders of the Gentle race, this world has seldom seen.......

crackerchief
crackerchief (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 10:40
It is becoming an increasingly irksome problem and it is down to all of us to get individuals to shush during kicks.

The stewards do ask individuals to keep quiet but not sure how much power you think stewards have!!

Unfortunately with success comes lots of newbies to the game who dont know the traditions and customs that we want and must adhere to!!!!

MESSAGES->author
Dawlish chief (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 11:06
I think it is a problem that in a way has been created by the club's success. It is not regular Chiefs fans or particularly away fans, I think it is people out on a jolly because "it is the place to go for a day out" I've seen similar boisterous behaviour at exeter races before now , and considering the bars were open at least 3 hours before our game, a lot of alcohol.had been consumed.

I agree it is a problem, however what can the stewards do? Inappropriate yes, but it is not illegal surely.

devonandy
DevonAndy (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 11:34
as a recentish, convert to rugby from football (note the word football not Wendyball is it sometimes referred to on here which really winds me up. (Sm106))

Why is it that there should be silence for kicks? I keep quiet with the best of them during kicks just wondered why?

I bet you yesterday at Twickenham the was no quiet for kicks and I'm sure today for the Scotland France game there also will not be silence. People who are coming for the day will see those games at home and therefore not expect silence for a kick. confused smiley

MESSAGES->author
Mabolza (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 11:54
Quote:
Devon Andy
Why is it that there should be silence for kicks? I keep quiet with the best of them during kicks just wondered why?

I bet you yesterday at Twickenham the was no quiet for kicks and I'm sure today for the Scotland France game there also will not be silence. People who are coming for the day will see those games at home and therefore not expect silence for a kick. confused smiley

Andy. I was at the World Cup in NZ and the noise when kicks were being taken were deafening ( including the Scotland v England match ).

I discussed this with rugby fans who were there from all over the World. Opinions on why we insist on silence here ranged from " Bloody stupid " to " quaint British tradition."

I would like someone to take a poll of the kickers and find out wahat they think. I bet a lot of noise would inspire some of them.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 12:59
It just shows respect.I don`t think the modern day kicker is affected either way.

If all the old traditions are allowed to die out then we are just in a downward cycle towards even more loutish behaviour at our rugby grounds and society in general.

It is good for the yongsters at the matches to learn that respect is still given.It is a lesson they learn from very little in the modern world.

bluecow
nc41 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 17:01
Silence at kicks would effect each kicker individually on their own zone but noise makes little difference i much prefferred noise and hated the silence

I found if playing badly and missed a few the silence was a pre kick reminder of that. Someone making a noise doesnt effect you at all

Those going shhhhhhhhhhh on the other hand were far more annoying and off putting than the matchday noise pollution.

The shhhhhhhhhers may not realise that!!!

That said there is alot of value in toomanychiefs points on respect!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2012 17:06 by nc41.

LittleTommyHawkk
LittleTommyHawkk (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 17:36
Quote:
Toomanychiefs
It just shows respect.I don`t think the modern day kicker is affected either way.

I tried saying this, along with others to a bloke and his group of friends a few weeks back. He told me that they couldn't hear what he was saying, as they were in the middle of the pitch. Not the case I'm afraid, especially from experience.

He then proceeded to tell me that as I'm a girl I don't understand anything to do with sport, (I played rugby, and I'm a sport student? which I told him...) and that I should shut up. I therefore told him not to judge a book by its cover, and learn a bit more respect smiling smiley

WOODBURYCHEF
WOODBURYCHEF (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 21:44
its just alot more people with a lot more booze in 'em,

im sure society wont decend into chaos if the odd noise at a kick occurs.

just saying, agreed its the way its done and the way we want it but, the game belongs to everyone to enjoy however they see fit isnt it?

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 22:35
Quote:
Toomanychiefs
If all the old traditions are allowed to die out then we are just in a downward cycle towards even more loutish behaviour at our rugby grounds and society in general.

It is good for the yongsters at the matches to learn that respect is still given.It is a lesson they learn from very little in the modern world.

Absolutely spot on toomanychiefs.

When our 13 year old daughter & 11 year old son, or come to that their brothers aged 6 & 4 & a lot of the other youngsters that attend, can show respect & know how to behave at the Rugby...surely it should not be too difficult to educate those that are not up to speed on what we expect at Sandy Park ?

Then again, having seen & spoken to a few such individuals...it would probably prove easier to educate a plank of wood !

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

StewardSaffin
Little MissChief (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 08:54
Quote:
One Pint
This problem is now getting to out of hand. When either team was taking a kick there was shouting and banging from both supports. I will stay it again it was from both supporters.
If the stewards won't deal with this problem. The real rugby supports should be speaking to these people to sort out the problem. Rugby is starting to become like the round ball game

Sorry I have to take issue with ur comment about the stewards dealing with the noise during kicking. Our purpose is that of spectator safety and not to tell the supporters to be quiet. You are exactly right that it is an issue but it is IMO that the supporters must sort this out themselves and raising it through these forums is a good way of applying peer pressure.

onedogwalking
onedogwalking (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 11:26
[s][/s]Spot on One Pint the last thing we need is the round ball mentallity at Sandy Park.(Sm57)

Chief Chopper
Chief Chopper (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 16:12
I was at the Tigers away game and you could hear a pin drop but I was also at the Perpignan away game and couldn't believe my eyes when Pom Pom girls came out and started doing their thing behind the posts during kick. I'm not a kicker so don't know if noise effects their concentration but Pom Pom girls?(Sm44)

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 16:50
Noise for a kicker? Don't know what difference makes but the comments about respect are interesting and a far more insidious recent problem is booing. Now that is disrespectful and I really don't care what the reason for it is.

In addition do those of you that boo realise that you sound like six year olds at a pantomime?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/02/2012 16:50 by Geronimo Jim.

50pointer
50pointer (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 19:54
As I've said before, I don't think the kickers are affected either way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net