rugbyunion
Latest News:

....... Chiefs lose in Bayonne..... Next up it's Cannacht at Sandy Park...... the fun continues .......

Contributions etc. to - thechiefstribe@gmail.com Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

MESSAGES->author
Chiefs in TMO trial
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 20:59
Premiership rugby are due to trial the idea of having a TMO at every match. Currently only rugby matches that are screened live on television have a TMO but Premiership Rugby are hoping to include them in all matches. They are due to start trialling the idea tomorrow at Kingsholm.

More Info

http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/n/native_american_chief-3478.gif

Quote:

MESSAGES->author
Re: Chiefs in TMO trial
Anguschief (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 00:28
i always thought it was a bit off this wasn't always the case. the more tv coverage you get, the better your games are adjudicated is effectively what the rfu ae saying.
i would say i was surprsed its taken this long for someone to realise it was a bit biased.... but this is the RFU (Sm100)

WOODBURYCHEF
WOODBURYCHEF (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 01:19
here here,

ChiefBottleWasher
ChiefBottleWasher (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 06:23
I don't think time to realise it is neccessarily the issue 350,000 is a fairly significant amount of money.

Hopefully that money will also perhaps give

better coverage so camera more likely to catch a dramatic moment for TV highlights.

More chance of reducing dangerous play by providing citing evidence.

Fairer distribution of game analysis footage those with lots of televised match presumably have more to look at?

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 09:01
Quote:
ChiefBottleWasher
I don't think time to realise it is neccessarily the issue 350,000 is a fairly significant amount of money.

better coverage so camera more likely to catch a dramatic moment for TV highlights.

Fairer distribution of game analysis footage those with lots of televised match presumably have more to look at?

Their are extended highlights & full coverage of most, if not all premiership matches on Premiership TV...so I guess this footage is available to the clubs ?

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

MESSAGES->author
rorky (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 09:45
If it gives a more formal expertise view of the Callum Clarke type of incidents then fair play.

On the other hand if the White/Sturgess one week ban for directing a stamp to the head with White's previous then what is the point. Or can anyone explain the reason why he only received a one week ban? I believe Tigers have a good legal team and experience. Although the incident suggests Callum is not fit and proper well done Saints for conducting there own investigation and banning the culprit with immediate effect.

I would imagine there is a lot of social media trials going on at the moment and this is an immediate type of fix. Rugby is feeling the news coverage usually reserved for football which is upping my prescription for Prozac. 350,000 probably the price of a decent front row prop in France.

Stuey
Stuey (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 17:02
Gotta love the TMO after a very tense last few minutes, but I wonder which way the ref would have gone without the TMO?

ChiefBottleWasher
ChiefBottleWasher (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 18:02
Quote:
PhilW2010
Quote:
ChiefBottleWasher

Their are extended highlights & full coverage of most, if not all premiership matches on Premiership TV...so I guess this footage is available to the clubs ?

I am sure it is in the same way the 6 or 8 camera footage from the televised games is. Seems to me the probability of capturing everything of interest is increased with 6 or 8 cameras over 4.

I suppose would also result in more time/money spent on analysis though.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 18:27
Quote:
Stuey
Gotta love the TMO after a very tense last few minutes, but I wonder which way the ref would have gone without the TMO?

Without the tmo it would have been "held up - 5m scrum". The only reason a rwf goes to tmo is if he isn't certain. Without tmo he would have had no choice.

Chief RedWine
Chief Redwine (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 18:43
Quote:
PhilW2010
Quote:
ChiefBottleWasher

All clubs have full access to three versions aof all matches' footage: a close angle, a wide angle and the broadcast version. Totally equitable all round.

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 18:53
On Shedweb, a lot of the Gloucester supporters unhappy with TMO, but its the same for both teams, could quite easily have been us losing to a TMO decision.
We have been on the wrong end a few times, and wished TMO were available.
Also been called 'Exeter cheats' (that's new yawn) for apparently blocking American football style. Haven't seen the match yet, but I think that means we're learning how the other prem teams play (Sm151)

MESSAGES->author
rorky (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 18:58
Quote:
Stuey

What was the name of the TMO today, perhaps we could find a place at Sandy Park and erect a temporary shrine. The try couldn't of gone to a better, hard working player when I heard it was Aly who went over there should of been no doubt.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 18:58
Spot on Clalan. They were guilty of the same.

Chief RedWine
Chief Redwine (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 19:01
Quote:
rorky
Quote:
Stuey

What was the name of the TMO today, perhaps we could find a place at Sandy Park and erect a temporary shrine. The try couldn't of gone to a better, hard working player when I heard it was Aly who went over there should of been no doubt.

Smiler Spreadbury - for it was he.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 09:59
Quote:
clalan
On Shedweb, a lot of the Gloucester supporters unhappy with TMO, but its the same for both teams, could quite easily have been us losing to a TMO decision.

Was never in doubt..
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/lardonirdesco/try.jpg

A second later the view is blocked by the Glaws 6 falling infront of the shot but that looks conclusive enough to me....

devonandy
DevonAndy (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 10:14
Think this just proves that TMOs are required at each ground to ensure level playing field

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 12:41
We were sitting 5 rows back and almost directly in line with Aly's score. He definitely grounded the ball but Kev's change of direction had fooled not only the Glaws players but also Mr Garner who was unsighted.

Had it been a 5m scrum and we'd got another penalty would he have dared to give us the penalty try? Glaws had conceded at least 4 successive penalties leading up to that point.

MESSAGES->author
Exeter lad (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 15:25
Quote:
clalan
Also been called 'Exeter cheats' (that's new yawn) for apparently blocking American football style. Haven't seen the match yet, but I think that means we're learning how the other prem teams play (Sm151)
Haha they called us the cheats ? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the ref gave a penalty to us for the Gloucester centre blocking us, also a penalty for a deliberate knock on and then big jim throwing a punch to the face ? Hmmmmmmmm 'exeter cheats' I think not.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 22:16
That screenshot is just a fraction early, as the ball is still in the air, a moment later, it is grounded, then bounces up and grounded again, before the view is obscured by the Glaws 6.

Certainly was a try. At the game I thought the ref "bottled it", and should have called it as he was right on hand, but the replay shows he was on the wrong side to see, so fair enough to use the TMO.

He did miss a trick with the Hamilton incident. The replay shows he was already albout to show him a yellow for the off the ball challange on HT, which combined with the subsequent hand to the face - it was a very strong hand off, rather than a punch per se, really should have been red, even if the punch only merited a yellow, the two offences should have resulted in a red.

Glaws were lucky not to have more cards - I thought EFS should have seen yellow for his deliberate knock down, and another yellow towards the end would not have been undeserved, as there was a serious of professional fouls in the red zone in the final 10 minutes.

The scrums were another area where I thought we had a bit of a raw deal. A couple of early ones looked like the Glaws front row were popping up, then one at the end saw the Glaws scrum totally disintegrate, with only a reset called on each occasion. Conversely Glaws seemed to pick up a number of penalties at scrum time.

All that said, nice to see the Shedweb forum is full of fans blaming the ref for the loss! [with the odd notable exception it should be said]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net