rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Leinster in Champions Cup.. ....next up it's the return leg in Dublin.... ..... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
thechiefstribe.com
Chiefs v Bristol
thechiefstribe.com (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 15:43
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

dwhite805
Re: Chiefs v Bristol
dwhite805 (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 17:55
Would like to see a Slade/ Devoto axis but hard to disagree. Think we have some real depth now. Will Nowell eveR get a ruin back at 15. I think he would be real class there.

barnychief
barnychief (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 18:04
I'm not sure whether it is just my computer Moorsman, but the formatting on this page has meant I can only read the article after clicking on the "printer friendly" button.

I like the look of your 15 but I would give it a couple of tweaks. Whoever plays, it should be a cracker. We can't afford to be complacent as I'm sure Bristol will be raring to go and would love to turn us over in our own backyard.

My 23 for what it's worth -

1. Ben Moon
2. Luke Cowan-Dickie
3. Harry Williams
4. Mitch Lees
5. Johnny Hill
6. Don Armand (c)
7. Sam Simmonds
8. Dave Ewers
9. Stu Townsend
10. Henry Slade
11. Jack Nowell
12. Ollie Devoto
13. Sam Hill
14. Olly Woodburn
15. Lachie Turner

16. Shaun Malton
17. Carl Rimmer
18. Tomas Francis
19. Ollie Atkins
20. Thomas Waldrom
21. Jack Maunder
22. Gareth Steenson
23. James Short

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2017 18:06 by barnychief.

Blue feather
Blue feather (IP Logged)
05 April, 2017 12:31
We need an experienced Side out to avoid banana skins (our 'Sale' performance could have been inexperience in key positions) and a young fast bench to exploit a tiring Brizzle
I'd have:-
1.Ben Moon
2.LCD
3.Tomas Francis
4 Mitch Lees
5.Geoff Parling
6 Don Armand
7.Julian Salvi
8 Thoma Waldrom
9 Stu Townsend
10.Garath Steenson
11.James Short
12.Henry Slade
13.Ian Whitten
14.Ollie Woodburn
15 Jack Nowell

16.Shaun Malton
17. Carl Rimmer
18.Harry Williams
19.Johnny Hill
20.Dave Ewers
21.Jack Maunder
22.Joe Simmons
23.Lachie Turner

andy15
andy15 (IP Logged)
05 April, 2017 12:52
Campo needs to be in the 23 makes things happen like shorty

MESSAGES->author
05 April, 2017 17:29
I'm being a pedant but no need for a fly half on the bench if Slade and Steeno are both in the starting XV.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
05 April, 2017 17:46
I see LCD in the news for the wrong reasons. Hopefully won't affect his performance, or any plans he might have had this summer....

barnychief
barnychief (IP Logged)
06 April, 2017 09:09
I see this game as an opportunity to continue the momentum gathered by our younger players this season. No disrespect intended, but if Bristol at home is not a game to do this, then there are none. Johnny Hill, Sam Simmonds and our two young 9's have the quality to ensure we do not slip up in this game as they continue their development.

The same can be said of Sladey at 10. If Steeno is fit again (which he hopefully is) then it would be a bit of a snub to Henry to throw him off of the shirt straight away. I personally thought he had a fantastic game last weekend running hard and flat to the line. His carrying and running game combined with his pin point passing keeps the opposition defence nervous and guessing. In attack last week, aside from a few sloppy mistakes across the team, we really looked in control. We do need to reintegrate Steenson as soon as we can, but I think the solution to this is to bring him off of the bench this weekend and see where we go from there.

Sam Simmonds is a great talent and provided the balance is right, his speed, power and link play can bring real dynamism to any backrow. Dave Ewers had a thunderous game back after his injury and I think he is champing at the bit to show what he can do before the England summer tour. I think this is the game to give him that opportunity and playing him at 8 will show his versatility. Don Armand is the sort of player every team needs. He is a real warrior who is seemingly everywhere the opposition don't want him. Thomas Waldrom seems to have dropped off in recent weeks so perhaps a barnstorming last quarter against tired opposition will give him back his mojo before the finals.

Our backline is dangerous regardless of who steps in, we have real strength in depth here. We have 3 of the best wingers in the premiership in Woodburn, Short and Nowell and it would be hard to leave any of them out. James Short seems to thrive on the more tired and spread out defences later on so he gets the 23 shirt. Phil Dollman is another who has dropped in form recently after a fantastic season. Lachie Turner hasn't put a foot wrong when I've seen him play and I think he has the qualities to give us real momentum from deep. Devoto is the model 12. He has pace, power and distribution skills to go with his hefty boot. With Sam Hill bringing his power and deceptive speed outside him, we have a very well balanced midfield. Once Campo is fit again, he would get the 13 shirt. True class and a real gamechanger.

Sorry for the repeat of my 23, this is just to give my post context -

1. Ben Moon
2. Luke Cowan-Dickie
3. Harry Williams
4. Mitch Lees
5. Johnny Hill
6. Don Armand (c)
7. Sam Simmonds
8. Dave Ewers
9. Stu Townsend
10. Henry Slade
11. Jack Nowell
12. Ollie Devoto
13. Sam Hill
14. Olly Woodburn
15. Lachie Turner

16. Shaun Malton
17. Carl Rimmer
18. Tomas Francis
19. Ollie Atkins
20. Thomas Waldrom
21. Jack Maunder
22. Gareth Steenson
23. James Short

Blue feather
Blue feather (IP Logged)
06 April, 2017 11:46
While I agree with most of your reasoning Barnychief, this is an opportunity to establish the 'settled' side that will take the Chiefs to Twickenham, not the last opportunity to bring on developing players except from the bench. The selection must be Rob's opinion of his best 15 so that they hone that instinctive togetherness that makes the difference at the finishing end of the season. I think we did well last year because we had that for the run in.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
06 April, 2017 12:31
For me this is the Business end of the season now. No mistakes, Best XV possible..

1. Moon
2. LCD
3. Francis
4. Lees
5. Hill
6. Armand
7. Salvi
8. Waldrom
9. Townsend
10. Steenson
11. Short
12. Whitten
13. Slade
14. Nowell
15. Dollman

16. Yeandle
17. Rimmer
18. Williams
19. Parling
20. Ewers
21. Maunder
22. Devoto
23. Turner

boston chief
boston chief (IP Logged)
06 April, 2017 14:43
Can't disagree with any of the above suggestions but where do we put Campagnaro if he's fit???

MESSAGES->author
Moorsman (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 06:44
Well Rob has gone with this selection. A little surprised to see young Jack start in front of Stu and it looks like we're planning to charge through this game with lots of pace.

15 Phil Dollman
14 Jack Nowell
13 Ian Whitten
12 Ollie Devoto
11 Olly Woodburn
10 Henry Slade
9 Jack Maunder
1 Ben Moon
2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
3 Harry Williams
4 Mitch Lees
5 Jonny Hill
6 Dave Dennis
7 Don Armand (capt)
8 Thomas Waldrom
16 Jack Yeandle
17 Carl Rimmer
18 Greg Holmes
19 Geoff Parling
20 Dave Ewers
21 Stuart Townsend
22 Gareth Steenson
23 Michele Campagnaro

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 10:20
To be honest I think Jack is the better future prospect, but both the youngsters bring something good to the team. Different style of play in this important position is great for a coach.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 13:21
Kick-off delayed until 3.15pm due to traffic delays on M5 and late arrival of Bristol team.

MESSAGES->author
Moorsman (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 16:45
We seem to have run into a rich vein of poor form. How we managed to get away with a TBP win I'm not sure. What on earth was going on with the 'no look' pass just give it to the opposition to run in a try.

goss8800
Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 17:39
There was not a single positive for the Chiefs today. We have been playing poorly but winning, but today took our performance to another poor level. Both Saracens and Wasps would be laughing at our performance today and would love to play us.

Currychief
Currychief (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 18:10
Positives? There are plenty. Here's a couple... Geoff Parling made a massive impact when he came on in line out and the loose, scored a try too. Ian Whitten was as solid as ever. Both could have been MoM

The significant issue was our mindset after an early try to start playing sevens rugby. How many consecutive games have we seen interception tries against us now? This is why we are putting ourselves on catch up. We need to mix our game and start by building solid foundations.

Currychief
Currychief (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 18:20
Apologies to Thomas Waldrom. He gave everything and scored 2 tries on the way....very positive

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 18:57
We got caught up in the traffic mayhem on the A30/M5 and parked in our VIP spot at about 3pm. It was pretty obvious that buses could not get through so we walked, crossing the wobbly bridge and got into our seats just in time o miss the first try!
For a while I wished we had waited for the bus because we gifted Bristol 3 tries and were lucky to go in one score adrift at half time. I thought the half time rollicking had worked when we scored to draw level and the score a bonus point try and hopefully put the game to bed, but we managed to screw up again and give them a try under the posts which left us chasing a fifth try to win!
Positives for me:
Geoff Parling steadied the line out and looked hungry.
Dave Ewers was immense.
Ollie Woodburn was brilliant in the kick and chase and superb under the highball!
Tank scored twice.
Disappointments:

Only two offside penalties all game, both against us! I'm pretty sure Bristol were offside on a number of occasions!
The number of penalties Bristol conceded in the red zone without even threat of a card.

We have played poorly in two games and still picked up WBPs, without being disrespectful to Sale or Bristol, dare I say we got dragged down to their level and the breaks for the AW and Europe have not done us any favours!

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 19:22
I thought the main positive was that we won. We have all too often lost games like that in the past and I think it's a sign of maturity that we can now win when not playing well. However, we will clearly not be able to play like that in our remaining three games if we want a home semi. Quinn will definitely fancy their chances against us, as will Saints and Gloucs, unless we lift our game significantly. The intercept tries are becoming tiresome. It's obvious teams have sussed our passing strategy and are looking for the intercept; a bit of back to basics required rather than trying to be too fancy. A number of individuals are not performing as well as they can, for whatever reason, and I'd be looking to make a few changes for Friday. In particular I'd like to see Turner and Short starting, and probably Campo as well.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net