rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs win away at Sale.. ....next up it's Saints in AW Cup at Sandy Park ........ ..... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

HUGHVILLE
''A' League
HUGHVILLE (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 07:55
Fixtures just announced, appears to be 11 games rather than 6 and spread over the whole season, not in 2 parts. I thought rules of the Anglo Welsh were complicated, these have gone another step up in confusion especially the games after Christmas

MESSAGES->author
Re: ''A' League
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 12:59
ROUND 1
Monday, September 4
Harlequins v Exeter Braves
ROUND 2
Monday, September 11
Exeter Braves v Bristol United
ROUND 3
Monday, October 2
Exeter Braves v London Irish
ROUND 4
Monday, October 23
Exeter Braves v Bath United
ROUND 5
Monday, November 27
Saracens Storm v Exeter Braves
ROUND 6
Monday, December 18
Gloucester United v Exeter Braves
PLAY-OFF GAMES
Game 1: Monday, January 1
Game 2: Monday, March 26
Game 3: Monday, April 2
Game 4: Monday, April 9
Game 5: Monday, April 16
SEMI-FINAL
Monday, April 23
FINAL
Monday, April 30

Busy schedule and will cause problems for clubs with smaller squads!

Blue feather
Blue feather (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 14:06
Good for season ticket holders, mine just got cheaper per game. Well you haven't got anything else to do on a Monday night have you!

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 21:22
I guess Bath are going to have yet another prop shortage in October and have to cancel yet another A League encounter with the Braves then. (Sm100)

Littledeepea
Otter Supper (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 18:35
I agree with the comments above re extra value for season ticket holders and problems for clubs with smaller squads but there are other consequences to this.

I posted an article at the beginning of May when this was 1st mentioned in a Times article.

In short the RFU are unhappy about this move as they had plans to help lessen the financial burden on championship clubs by increasing the number of academy players allowed to be dual registered. This decision means that there will now be less opportunity for championship clubs to use academy players thereby increasing their player budget.

This, for me, raises 2 questions (at the moment).

1) Will academy players benefit more from A league games than from championship games?

2) Is this a big step towards a 14 team ring fenced PL in which, for a few teams, the last few months of the season will have no significance.

Original post here.

neale harvey
Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 09:55
Think you'll find the A-League story started here...!

[www.therugbypaper.co.uk]

Blue feather
Blue feather (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 10:54
Interesting thoughts OS. My views on these points are that the larger squads necessary will mean clubs with a small squad approach will have to adopt a more prudent financial regime like Chiefs have and not throw money at established players and develop academies which will be good for the communities the clubs are founded on.
There is an inevitability about a 14 side league as France are already there and pro 12 trying to expand in order to increase income (they will have much greater travel costs etc.). As long as the Prem retain or even increase relegation to 2 I'm not opposed.

Littledeepea
Otter Supper (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 19:04
Quote:
Neale Harvey
Think you'll find the A-League story started here...!

I'm sorry if I've offended you Neale, I do not subscribe to TRP and the first time I was aware of this issue was on a post on the Bristol site quoting the Times article.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

Quote:
Blue feather
As long as the Prem retain or even increase relegation to 2 I'm not opposed.

I'm in total agreement with the need for relegation but unless championship sides are given more help which of them would want to be promoted?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net