rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs defeat Wasps at Twickemham to lift the Premiership title ..... Champions 2017.... .... ..... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

fisher
best signings
fisher (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 18:51
As Steeno's testimonial comes up it set me to thinking who has been the best signing we have made since we moved to Sandy Park. Steeno would be one of the candidates and I would also say Dean Munn,Tommy Hayes and Dolly but what do others think?

Master Chief
Re: best signings
Master Chief (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 19:03
Thomas Waldrom! To add to your list.. Don Armand, Tom Johnson, Josh Drauniniu

MESSAGES->author
Mabolza (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 19:50
BUDGIE

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 20:09
It didn't work out for us but signing virtually unknown Nemani Nadolo was a tremendous spot before he later became one of the best backs in the world!
Such a shame things went pear shaped here.....
Sireli was a cracking signing and Shoey too.
So many to choose from,shows how the recruitment is spot on as we very rarely sign someone who doesn't contribute but my own personal favorite is James Scaysbrook.

Chief RedWine
Chief Redwine (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 20:15
Jason Shoemark.
Dean Mumm

Dead heat.

MESSAGES->author
Boldeagle (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 08:45
Don Armand for me,gives 100% every game,fantastic player.

Jc12345
Jc12345 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 09:50
Mitch Lees or Don for me, im hoping I'll be adding Nic white to that list after this season

Wampum
Wampum (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 10:38
Rob Hunter

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 12:15
Sireli and Shoey in our first season gave us stability and go forward.
Players like Ally Mulldowney and Damian Walsh were great signings from the Pro12 who came on leaps and bounds with us. Likewise Tomas Francis and Mitch Lees from the Championship.
Thomas Waldrom and Dean Mumm showed we could attract international players but my favourite signing has to be Don Armand, will be yet another Chiefs legend

Shy Ann
Shy Ann (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 13:29
Steeno

MESSAGES->author
Moorsman (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 13:39
I just find it almost impossible to pick one as there have been so many outstanding players with us during that time. Each season has seen major contributions from the likes of Mumm, Shoemaker, Sireli, TTE etc. but for sheer consistently good performances since he joined us in 2009 it has to be Phil Dollman for me.

fisher
fisher (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 15:38
I posed the question as the close season boredom has set in! But it shows just how good our signings have been when perhaps it would be easier to ask who our worse signings have been(if any!)

MESSAGES->author
Brave new world (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 16:07
Tui.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 17:41
As far as getting the most out of a signing and mileage, It has to be Steeno..

He left Ulster as a cast off and today he is seen as the best Fly Half Ireland never had... Considering all Exe have got out of Steeno and all he has done it has to be Steeno for me.

goss8800
Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 18:31
Rob Baxter as Head Coach

fisher
fisher (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 22:06
He wasnt a bad player either.

Little Minnie
Little Minnie (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 22:40
Waldrom by a mile - turned us around. Williams. Woodburn and although not my favourite as always thought he irked others, but have to admit - Geoff Parling changed our line out and seemed to drive us on...

Axe Chief
Axe Chief (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 00:30
In a team of 15/23 any one player isn't irreplaceable and its the organisation of the group that is the driving force, but certain players have been significant at various times since we have been promoted.

Without doubt at various stages Steeno, for all his defensive frailties, has been a standout contributor. He has always been one of the most reliable goal-kickers during his time in the AP, particularly at that difficult venue 'Windy Park'!, but where he has grown immensely has been his ORGANISATION of the defence,[ along with Chudley ]. Yet since he has effectively become captain I believe that is where his biggest contribution has been to the club. He obviously has the gift of the blarney, and the respect of the other players. How often do we find that the best team leaders are Irish?

I always thought that as newcomers to the AP Shoemark & Sirelli were so important at ensuring we didn't have a soft centre, and make a quick return to the Championship. The rest of the Championship side were able to keep their own, but those two, even if they didn't score lots, were like brick walls.

The three Tigers were all brilliant. TTE was so unlucky he never came to The Chiefs before. He fitted The Chiefs developing style of play they went to, once they realised they were a safe established AP side, to a "T". Rob obviously has a high regard for Salvi, but I believe that the player that contributed most this last season , particularly during our run-in to become Champions, was Geoff Parling. His Lions pedigree stood out a mile. I really hope we don't miss him.

And,... finally even if Eddie has his doubts Don Armand, through my 'rose-tinted glasses', is Itoje's equal. He isn't such a flashy player, but his stats answer that. His low level of mistakes, strength and all-round ability has stood out when he is missing.

MESSAGES->author
carparkman (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 11:08
Got to mention Tom Francis his contribution to the squad has been immense.

IMO the scrum was a major part in what won us the championship and he has been rock soild in it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Exeter Chiefs Poll

New Poll Soon

See results > Submit >>