rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Leinster in Champions Cup.. ....next up it's the return leg in Dublin.... ..... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Master Chief
Pre-season
Master Chief (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 18:14
Getting itchy feet now, can't wait for the new season to start. With pre-season fixtures soon upon us I thought I'd get some discussion started on our prospects for next season.

My first observation is that we only have two weekends of fixtures before the Glos game, which is fewer than most other Prem sides. I know we had one cancellation but I wonder if this is intentional by the coaches given the slow start exit season. Thoughts?

Oh the squad I think we have recruited well. We missed out on a few signings but we are in a strong position. The key for me will be whether Waldrom can play at the same level he has been for the whole season, and whether someone will be able to take on the daunting task of filling Parling's shoes as lineout leader.

There are a few other areas of interest for me, namely: 1. Can Turner make the 15 shirt his own and bring that added quality/ pace to the back line; 2. Will Campo be given a run in the 13 jersey. When he is fit he is clearly one of the best centres in Europe and he could really take our back play to the next level; 3. Returning players from injury will hopefully make us stronger, namely Alec Hepburn and Dave Ewers (fingers crossed); 4. Will the coaches start with Slade at 10 and how quickly will the team adapt; 5. The battle for the 9 shirt will be intense and hopefully bring out the best in each of them; 6. How will be handle the pressure of being Champions...

Other Prem teams have strengthened well and with both Bath and Leicester likely to see a lot of players back from injury this season is shaping to be tougher than last. Of course that means that hopefully other teams will be beat one another but our home record will be key.

Thoughts please! I'm getting bored of athletics!

Peter Ord
Re: Pre-season
09 August, 2017 11:21
The thing is that until we get half a dozen weeks into the season none of us have a clue. What I do believe is that the front row can take on anybody even on international weekends. Second row could be a weak link on paper but if you add Skinner, Ewers and big Don to the equation we have some cover. The back row looks good and we should some new faces taking their places more often.

Drum half, enough said. Slade has to come through at some point but phase him in more slowly this time. Use Campo because he could be the seasons key player. The other centre and back three players available makes the mouth water.

Now is all I have to do is plan my season which doesn't get off to a good start as I move into our new home the day after so it looking like Worcester wil be our first day out. can't wait.

Shy Ann
Shy Ann (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 12:33
Watch out for Matt K - he's got a lot to catch up with and prove this year. If he stays fit he could catch EJ's attention.

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 19:31
Not with standing Waldrom and Francis, most signing have made a bigger impact second season. I think Devoto and DD will build on their the good foam at the end of last season.

Also big season for Harry William, LCD and Sam Hill.

For two years I have waiting to see Campo get a run of starts for us but it never seems to work out, so I will not be holding by breath.

Does anyone think that Sam Simmond and Max Bodilly will get any starts and make premiership players? Plus Hendrickson looks a big centre.

Van Der Sluys is said to be a development lock or work in progress but we seem to have a few of them, all be it some very young. Toby Salmon, Josh Caulfield, Ed Holmes, Sam Skinner, Longsdale.

Master Chief
Master Chief (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 06:17
It will be interesting to see where the coaches play Simmonds. Clearly a very talented player who had considerable impact on games last year. However, with Ewers injured and Waldrom more of a work horse than a bulldozer nowadays can our pack physically dominate teams?..

I say this because other sides are strengthening their packs with some big men, e.g. Glos who have signed Rapava-Ruskin, Slater and Ackerman to add to the alresdy sizeable Hubbard, Thrush, Moriarty and Morgan!!! In my mind we have always had the biggest pack in the league but not so anymore.

The player I am also most looking forward to seeing this year is Matt Kvesic. For two or three seasons he was the outstanding back row in the league.

And I hope we do play Campo. He would compliment Devoto well and is a really attacking/ running threat from midfield. I agree he could be sort of player that could make the difference for us this season. If we are to win the Prem this season we have to improve on last and take our game forward. In my mind we have a player who can do just that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net