rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Leinster in Champions Cup.. ....next up it's the return leg in Dublin.... ..... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MESSAGES->author
Chiefs 34 Falcons 24
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 15:59
Bonus point win but sounds like we let them back in at the end to get a 4 Try bonus point. Listened on Radio Devon and John was constantly calling offside by Falcons which the match officials ignored!
Top of the league tonight and at least second after round six - would have taken that at the start of the season!

Brent1
Re: Chiefs 34 Falcons 24
Brent1 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 16:18
5 points, great table position and young guns covering for last year's champions well
Eg Skinner, Simmonds and Hill for Parling, TTTE and Ewers/Horstmann

So all good ? But

Felt a bit strange today...reflecting on our losses to Glaws and Tigers as well as our flaws today some work ons...

Please can we differentiate between when to run it and when to howitzer down field ... Too many mistakes in our 22 today gave Falcons good position and possession and to be fair they didn't need any help.....their defence kept our attack relatively quiet and they were worth their LBP.

Also towards the end of the game get the ball in scrums or off the field...ie not in player contact where we might incur injuries...simmo, Jack n, Woody and Whitters all took hits today .... We mitigate this by protecting them when we re way ahead

For what it is worth I think Jackson showed his inexperience as ref albeit I think he will get better....far too much niggle and back chat sure sign a ref has not quite got a grip..

Jack Y club legend good egg but we again lost too much line out ball....not sure why..with a 9 that can pass miles quickly go to the front and go secure...keep jt simple.

However we are champions and we should be very pleased....Glasgow next week will show us where our future aspirations lie......

Rafpilot2000
Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 17:06
Great and given the fact we are top 4 and happy to walk away from that one with a point says it all. Looking forward to welcoming your I guys up north!

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 17:11
5 points and and still areas to work on so I take that as a positive rather than a negative.
Don't want to bang on about it but line-out was messy again like last week. Looks like we could do with an experienced line-out leader,someone like Geoff Parling......doh lol.
Some of our defence was a bit shaky by our standards but Newcastle took their scores well but the general quality was probably below what both teams would expect.
I know injuries are taking their toll around the country and it is no different here. Some of our players are looking in need of a little break already imo as we cannot rotate them. Centres and back row especially are having some heavy workload and looks like it is having an impact.
Happy with the first block over and relatively few new injuries to go with the long standing ones.

goss8800
Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
We won the game but we didn't control the game. We are giving away so many chances a top team will take advantage of. We only to have one way of playing and nothing else.

The only changes we made in the close season was the changes to the coaches jobs, is this the problem!!!

MESSAGES->author
Prarie Dog (IP Logged)
Five points in the bag. It's worth remembering that this season the league seems very competitive. We aren't going to dominate every game and make zero mistakes.
Winning games is what makes champions and if we sometimes have to win ugly I'll take it.

smileys with beer

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

Da' nzho!
Pawel Vygot.

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 17:38
I didn't think we won ugly; I thought we played a lot of good attacking rugby, but Newcastle coped with our pace better than most. There were a couple of defensive lapses which won't make pleasant watching on the replay, but fair play to Falcons who took their chances well. Falcons were a bit lucky with a couple of refereeing decisions; one of their tries was a bit iffy and there was a clear holding back on Olly Woodburn when he was almost clear of the defensive line. However, overall I thought it was a good game and the score just about did justice to both teams.

dwhite805
dwhite805 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 17:45
agree on the game management question. I like an attacking outlook & the fact we are spreading out more again but potion counts as well. Thought White had a more difficult day and could have been taken off early on.

NorfolkFalcon
NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 17:57
Quote:
OldWing
Falcons were a bit lucky with a couple of refereeing decisions.

Looking through Falcons tinted glasses, I would say the complete opposite. Not disputing our yellows but you should of had one and Goneva/DTH were held back on a few occasions when going clear too.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 19:10
Quote:
Chief Fire Water
We won the game but we didn't control the game. We are giving away so many chances a top team will take advantage of. We only to have one way of playing and nothing else.

The only changes we made in the close season was the changes to the coaches jobs, is this the problem!!!

Newcastle are a top team this season...?

andy15
andy15 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 19:30
Some very good stuff mixed with a number of silly errors. Thought flacons were just about good for their point. A lot to review on Monday given another couple of soft trys. The front row immense and totally dominated all afternoon - for me Rimmer outstanding today in both tight and loose.

Nic White for me clear MOM. great defence and attack.

MESSAGES->author
Tribester (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 19:52
Agreed, Nic White had another good game and is brave in taking on the big boys.

With Jack off injured, I hoped Lachie would get a chance to show us some strong running down that wing, I didn't expect it to take 15 seconds for him to score.

I'm looking forward to watching Simmos try on TV later, it looked a belter from ETC.

I'm feeling so much happier now than I was at 3 o'clock. In fact by 3.05 I still don't think we'd touched the ball.

A good result for us, with things to work on and several players to return.

Well played Ex.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 20:22
Iam just amused that we have an 8 who can gas a winger and sidestep a fullback...

To me that is madness..

Personally thought Wits and Dolly where awesome too..

The less said about some of the refs decisions the better though...(Sm56)

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 21:46
I thought we were very good first half against the second placed team. But the second half we lost 14 to 10 with Newcastle having 2 yellow cards. In no game does one side control the whole game, but when you are not in control and have a good lead it's ok to just pin a team back with two class players like Steenson and Slade on the pitch, they didn't.

Chiefsexile
Chiefsexile (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 04:32
I thought that until we made the silly handling errors our passing through the phases was incredibly sharp and purposeful (almost Rugby League standard). We often look tentative and without purpose when shipping the ball out, almost going through the motions at times but, this new sense that we could score by going around them will pay off later in the season and in Europe I think.

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 06:23
Quote:
Tom A Hawk
Iam just amused that we have an 8 who can gas a winger and sidestep a fullback...
To me that is madness..

When Sam scored his try it looked like he wanted to draw the defender and pass but Olly couldn't keep up with him so went on his own!
I am sure it wasn't really like that but Sam must be the quickest 8 in the league and when he takes his place wide in the back line we look very dangerous. Anyone apart from me think he would do a very good job at centre if required?

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 08:02
I agree Zyder Head he looks like he has all the tools to be a great centre and I read somewhere that he use to play centre and wing, does anyone why he gave up centre?

Apparently radio 5 live covered the game and thought he could play fullback, I don't see him being great at jumping for the high ball. Jerry all I talk about is the lions Guscott said he is to small for England.

It was good to see we kicked our penalties, four tries each the kicks were the difference

MESSAGES->author
Little Plums (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 08:28
@Chief Fire Water, are you Otto7/Dave Ewers’ Hunch in disguise?

Newcastle have beaten Barf at the Wreck and Sale at the AJ Bell, they are no mugs and much improved this season. With all due respect, maybe not Top 4 come May, but I’d expect them to be in the mix for a Champions Cup place.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 08:39
Quote:
Zyder head
Quote:
Tom A Hawk
To me that is madness..

When Sam scored his try it looked like he wanted to draw the defender and pass but Olly couldn't keep up with him so went on his own!
I am sure it wasn't really like that but Sam must be the quickest 8 in the league and when he takes his place wide in the back line we look very dangerous. Anyone apart from me think he would do a very good job at centre if required?

In Fairness he actually sidestepped two players.. One of which was a fullback, And gassed DTH Van De Merve (Who is no slouch).. Either way as a bit of a traditionalist it is madness to me to hear and see a number 8 sidestepping backs.

Thats the modern rugby forward though I suppose..

MESSAGES->author
Little Plums (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 09:15
Quote:
Tom A Hawk
Quote:
Zyder head
Quote:
Tom A Hawk
To me that is madness..

In Fairness he actually sidestepped two players.. One of which was a fullback, And gassed DTH Van De Merve (Who is no slouch).. Either way as a bit of a traditionalist it is madness to me to hear and see a number 8 sidestepping backs.

Thats the modern rugby forward though I suppose..

Radio 5 live were discussing him and a potential step-up to England in Billy Vunipola’s absence. Guscott’s view was that at 6’ he was too small and lacked heft but that he offered something different as he plays with the skill and speed of a Centre. He also commented that even in that position his stats don’t compare favourably with many international centres.

Looking at the replay, when he turned on the afterburners, he pulled away from both Van de Merwe (who was running a blocking line to prevent the offload) and Woodburn.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net