rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs win away at Sale.. ....next up it's Saints in AW Cup at Sandy Park ........ ..... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
fisher
henry slade
fisher (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 12:19
I think Henry is trying to hard to impress Eddie and not doing himself justice.We all know how good he is and I think given a decent run I think he will prove just how good he is. When he came back after breaking his leg(to quick I thought) he went through the same problem trying just to hard and not playing his normal smooth unhurried style. So let us cut him some slack and get back to being the class player that we all know he is.

MESSAGES->author
Re: henry slade
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 13:50
Hardly touched the ball in the first 20 minutes but got into the game more before half time. Tackled off the ball in front of the posts running a great line to receive a pass from Ford. Threw a couple of wayward passes under intense pressure but looked more comfortable when he moved to 13. Supposedly Eddie Jones thinks his best position is 13, has played extremely well there for Chiefs all season and then gets picked at 12!
The Pumas looked like a team trying not to lose and killed the game as a spectacle. Australia will be a stiffer Test but their style of play will probably suit Henry’s game more.
I reckon Farrell will be back next week and Henry would be on the bench unless Lozowski is preferred!

goss8800
Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 16:46
Totally agree that Henry is trying to hard to impress Jones.

With all players fit I don't believe he will get in the team anyway as Jones seems to want Farrell and Teo in the midfield.

We all know Henry is a class act and he shouldn't worry about England and what Jones thinks, if it happens it happens.

oldbean
4everchief (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 17:03
I agree he's trying to do too much, but I don't think he's the only one.

Competition for places is so hard everyone is out to impress,not a bad thing though,because

when things do go right,it's pretty to watch.

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 17:16
Has Slade ever had a good game at 12?

I don't think he missed any tackles.

oldbean
4everchief (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 17:39
Quote:
mommentum
Has Slade ever had a good game at 12?
I don't think he missed any tackles.

Yes, and he has, like all the others,but don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him at 12,I prefer him playing 12 because it gives the team a double option.

I just think he along with others try to make too much of an impression sometimes instead of playing their natural game.

1908 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 19:41
I don't buy into this Ford/Farrell axis. For me Farrell at 10 all day long. I would play Teo at 12 and Slade at 13.

You are not going to see the best of Slade until....

1 England pick a 9 with a deccent pass.

2 They pick a back row who have a bit of pace and can provide quicker ruck ball.

I actually think Slade would serve England best at 15.

Let's hope he gets another chance against Australia.

Comanche Chief
Comanche Chief (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 09:47
Well I hope he hasn't read this article.
henry slade

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 12:02
To be honest I think Eddie was using it as a practice session for Henry.
He will either play Henry at 13 or on the bench and wanted to see how Henry would go at 12 if Farrell was injured during a match or unavailable beforehand. I don't see Henry being a 12 ahead of Farrell or Teo and we didn't see the best of the English pack anyway so he never really got a lot of front foot ball. It was a very disjointed performance full stop so I don't think any long term judgements can be made on any England players as we know they can all play better than that.

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 12:19
It's very fine margins with England and you can't really make unforced mistakes. Had that wild pass in front of Hughes gone to hand and had Henry not been tackled off the ball when Ford passed to him we'd be talking about a completely different performance...

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 14:55
Much of the media seem to have focussed on Henry while criticising England's performance. But they did actually manage to win, which is more than they might have done a few years ago. And, as PWS says, with a bit more luck / composure, Henry's game might have had a different slant to it.

I think Henry has been unlucky up to now. He was one of the best young No 10s I've ever seen in a long time of watching rugby. However, for reasons often debated / argued over on this forum, he has not managed to get into the Chiefs side for any substantial amount of time at No 10. Instead, he's turned himself into a more than decent centre at No 13. EJ then plays him at No 12 to see what will happen and, lo and behold, it hasn't gone particularly well. Indeed, EJ seems to take some delight in playing people out of position.

I hope he can get a decent run of games with England in a settled position. I'd really like to see him become the best No 10 in the country, and I suppose that might still happen, but at least let him play for England where he plays for Chiefs.

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 15:20
What I don't understand is *why* he doesn't seem to thrive at 12. He seems entirely suited to it. Always seems to have that extra second to act. I'm labouring a point here but most of those mistakes he made at the weekend were unforced and he'd generally make the play in his sleep.

People always say the difference between club and test is you get less time at test level but apart from a couple of passes made under pressure that didn't seem to be the issue here.

1876-Fez
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 16:47
"but at least let him play for England where he plays for Chiefs"

We have been saying that about Farrell for a couple of years now... no change!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 17:33
Quote:
1876-Fez
"but at least let him play for England where he plays for Chiefs"
We have been saying that about Farrell for a couple of years now... no change!!

Absolutely - hence my comment about EJ playing people out of position. Perhaps he believes a change is as good as a rest?

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 19:33
England have never played him with a Whitten type player has a centre partner

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 22:15
Quote:
mommentum
England have never played him with a Whitten type player has a centre partner
Sorry to disagree but Henry did play alongside Sam Burgess in a World Cup warm up game in 2015 against France and played out of his skin. He didn’t play again until the game against Uruguay when we had already been eliminated from the competition!

Scuff
Scuff (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 09:10
You could construct an argument that Slade made look Burgess good enough to pick, and therefore he was indirectly responsible for Eddie Jones. Repay the favour EJ!

Shy Ann
Shy Ann (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 14:05
So then on reflection to increase the number of 'world class' players:

1) EJ still sticks with Hartley and Robshaw and theres no mobility there - George (err Lions form not good enough?) and Lawes or Armand better options

2) Still cant see Ford as our best no 10 - Farrell is so play him and Henry at 12 or 13. Loz to get a shot at 10 as well.

3) Watson at 15

and he says there was no pace in the game duuuuhhh. Having serious doubts about him now.

Shy Ann
Shy Ann (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 14:10
Oh and the other thing was that Ford just kept popping it up for the ball carriers in first half and Greenwood said it best 'Just as well have a brick at 12!'

StewardSaffin
Little MissChief (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 18:03
It would help if George Ford actually passed the ball to Henry & not bypass him! No wonder his stats weren't great. He didn't get his hands on the ball for 1at 20 minutes of the match!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net