rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs win AW Cup....next up it's Glaws at Sandy Park.. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Zyder head
Strength in depth
Zyder head (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:31
Over the last few seasons I think Saints and Sarries used to set the benchmark with their strength in depth especially with coping during international windows etc.
When you look at our absentees today and think of the players missing today that could be included next week obviously including the returning internationals and LCD,Ewers,Ollie Devoto,Salvi etc Rob and Co have built an incredible squad.
Sam Hill was awesome today and was like a new signing. Rob took a bit of a chance with no replacement centre on the bench but Sam and Whitts rewarded him in spades.
I really do not envy Robs selection decisions for next weekend as there will be plenty of disappointed players not even in the 23.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Strength in depth
minuteman (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 19:10
There are players that really showed the whoe squad ethos today but for Me Kvesic was just a great example of someone who has had to wait for his chance and take it. I thought the whole back row worked well and for the first time in the starting XV . Jonny Hill is rapidly becoming very very good and was very unlucky with one of the pens awarded against him . I expect Sarries will be gunning for us in the return leg and you know Rob & co will have a plan to win again . What a great weekend for the whole squad with the braves winning too.. its good to be a Chief

Innings
Innings (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:17
Don't get too carried away: that was half of Sarries first team and half their reserves. Eight front line players away today. Still, you can only play the side in front of you, and it was a deserved win. I thought Waldrom was immense throughout.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:04
Quote:
Innings
Don't get too carried away: that was half of Sarries first team and half their reserves. Eight front line players away today. Still, you can only play the side in front of you, and it was a deserved win. I thought Waldrom was immense throughout.

A different ref and you might have had a couple more missing for parts of the game!

Edit. That's not a criticism of Sarries. I thought you defended brilliantly, and slowed things down really well, You play as close to the line as the ref allows, and he was generous today! Ref was unsighted for barritt's in at the side, but you'd think the linesman might have helped!
Also though Skelton very lucky to get away with playing the ball on the floor under his posts first half.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2017 21:10 by fatheralice.

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:05
Quote:
Innings

I appreciate that Sarries had lots of players missing BUT SO DID WE!
Nobody can argue that a side missing Slade,Simmonds,Nowell,Williams,Francis,Cowan-Dickie,Dennis,Ewers,Devoto,Salvi etc is at full strength so beating Sarries at Allianz Park is a very good achievement whichever team you put on the park.

loadofeathers
loadofeathers (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 23:50
Quote:
Innings
We were of course just missing Nowell, Ewers, Cowan Dickie, Devoto, Dennis,Slade, Simmonds,Williams and Francis. Looks like we were missing 10 get over it!

Axe Chief
Axe Chief (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 01:04
Sarries might have had a slightly bigger loss of “BIG” names, but in terms of players out of the first team squad both teams must have been very equal. However Sarries have always been justifiable proud to boast one of the best total squad of players, something The Chiefs have slowly grown to emulate?
Plenty of good Chiefs on display,..... eventually, but a special mention for 3T’s. He doesn’t just do the flash stuff, but as the oldest forward lasted the full game and was in the top bunch for carries, tackles and gains.

Oh, everyone’s forgotten The Chiefs were also missing the best centre in Europe?, but as he’s out for the season that doesn’t count!!

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 09:59
Backrow is a very difficult selection when all are fit. Simmonds, Waldrom, Salvi, Ewers, Armand and Kvesic, who do you drop?

andy15
andy15 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:06
Equally the centre position is difficult to call the ever present and reliable Whitten must be nailed on to start as never gets the plaudits he deserves one of Rob's best ever signings.Makes few errors and our best tackler in midfield. Also would like to see him signed up for a new contract soon please ?(Sm122)

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:06
Quote:
Poking With Sticks
Backrow is a very difficult selection when all are fit. Simmonds, Waldrom, Salvi, Ewers, Armand and Kvesic, who do you drop?

None of them, you rotate them, playing horses for courses and keep them fresh and fit. We are doing well in three competitions and to keep doing so requires a squad not a team.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:59
Quote:
Lowerwatha
Quote:
Poking With Sticks

None of them, you rotate them, playing horses for courses and keep them fresh and fit. We are doing well in three competitions and to keep doing so requires a squad not a team.

Exactly right, we shouldn't regard any particular player as a "first teamer". Fitness, form and the opposition will always be the prime reasons for selection. I'd argue that it's easier for management to make selections from a deep pool of talent than have to wonder if so and so, a centre might be OK on the wing because choice is limited.

It's about the squad.

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 12:05
EJ wants there to be 3 players fighting for every position in the England team. Given the extent of injuries all clubs seem to have at the moment (and international calls for some), it's getting to the stage where clubs will need to have the same aspiration. I reckon we're about there already and those teams who've decided to spend big money on a few 'stars' at the expense of the wider squad may have to change tack.

SimonH38
SimonH38 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 18:55
In my opinion the Coaching/Management team must have built one of the best squads in the Prem with the blend of local lads coming through the academy and external transfers.

In virtually every position we seem to be 3 deep with almost any combination being a competitive side.

The challenge will come when our increasing England contingent come up for contract renewal and I can see some being tempted with a change and perhaps a large cheque.

Nic White is a good player but I would like to have signed Joe Simpson from Wasps (not even sure if he's available) who is an excellent player with a nasty habit of scoring good tries against us, who could also brought through Townend and Maunder.

Of all the players coming back from injury I'd like to see Dave Ewers get back to his best form - he is some player who has been in the England training squad on numerous occasions and adds to our formidable back row group.

It's fantastic to watch currently and this combination of players is awesome.

I wish Trevor Harris were playing in this era, a prop ahead of his time, he would have won a Lions test cap. No question.

Shy Ann
Shy Ann (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 10:12
Spot on Old Wing. Were doing well in all four comps down to our squad depth and thats fantastic forward planning by the coaches and its taken several years to get here. Other teams may well have to reconsider their strategies but they will have to play catch up now. Just hope we can keep everyone happy and we have so far.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 15:30
This season there has been a plethora of injuries and this has stretched teams with smaller squads and made the Autumn internationals all the more painful for some.
When we got promotion to the Premiership we had a good starting 15 but our bench was not the strongest. I think we were lucky with injuries during our first couple of seasons and have steadily increased the quality and the squad by promoting academy players, signing good potential from the Championship and bringing them on and some astute signings from the Premiership and abroad.
We now have one of the bigger squads but have not broken the bank. We have had a fair few injuries to key players this season but our strength in depth have kept us top of the Premiership and unbeaten in Europe and the AW.

NB. The Rugby Paper last week reckons Mitch Lees has been sounded out by French clubs but is staying with Chiefs. Harry Williams has also been targeted by a number of Premiership clubs but also intends staying with us!

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 19:00
This weekend could be are strongest lineup this season if jack is back and no new injures, I would go with

Moon
LCD
Williams
Lees
J Hill
Armand
Kvesic
Waldrom
White
Steenson
Woodburn
Devoto
Whitten
Nowell
Slade

Heburn, Yeandle, Francis, Skinner, Simmonds, Chudley, S Hill, Turner

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 19:44
Big Dave played 60 minutes for the Braves at Sarries last week, I’d have him on the bench. Also Sam Hill was MOM last week, surely deserves a start!

Wampum
Wampum (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 11:06
The other thing is that we have quite a young squad and there is still potential to improve especially mentally as we showed at Sarries.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net