rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Sarries at HQ.... looking forward to next season now. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

HUGHVILLE
AGM
HUGHVILLE (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 08:47
Attended AGM last night. I felt felt that TR rather railroaded through the agenda and did not want too many questions.Who was the lady member of the board?, she was not introduced
The slight confrontation with TR and a member was unnecesary. The member tried to make a point which could have been clearer and TR took it personally. How will the hotel be financed? Is there sufficient demand to fill 250 bedrooms?.There is a Hilton hotel at the airport which is underused. Any hotel cannot survive on bed occupancy alone, and will utilise the premises for conferences/weddings/events etc. Will this take income from SP not add to it, That suggestion was brushed aside by TR.This could be an expensive white elephant for the club. Will members have further input into the decision?
The question of executive and non executive directors was rushed through. In principle I have no objection of payments if the work and commitments warrant it.
1. Which members of the current board are executive and which are non executive at present.
2. Which non executive members are going to made executive members
3. Which executive members will be paid.
4. What will they be paid and will the amounts be published in the accounts or hidden under general wages and expenses.

myra briard
Re: AGM
exeter supporter (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 09:22
The lady member was introduced. She is Natasha Pavis, who has been with Sandy Park for 11 years and is General Manager of Sandy Park.

MESSAGES->author
Chief caps (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 10:05
He didn't answer the quetsions reguarding the hotel because he doesn't know the answers yet as they're still talking to bothh groups and nothing has been decided, i thougnt that was obvious and they dont know the answers yet.

However i did think he over reacted to questions from the member about this.

chiefs-fan85
Weegie Chief (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 12:02
Good to hear from the Twitter feed that we'll be expecting Campagnaro back from injury early in the New Year. Great work (yet again) from the rehab team.

Scuff
Scuff (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 14:57
Were the questions about the hotel asked in a way that was constructive, or an example of Fear Uncertainty Doubt tactics?

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 15:20
Quote:
Scuff
Were the questions about the hotel asked in a way that was constructive, or an example of Fear Uncertainty Doubt tactics?

The opening post from HUGHVILLE suggests that the Chairman took something personally When a member asked what look to be perfectly reasonable questions.
Should it really matter how the questions were asked ??
The Chairman of a Club should always be prepared to, and be capable of answering most questions from the membership in a polite & professional manner!

Would it be possible that the Member maybe thought that the Chairman was not representing or putting forward the views & interests of the members as he should be??

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

Peter Ord
OAP (Over a pint) (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 15:43
Obviously now living in Cheshire I was unable to attend the AGM but i have spoken with a pal who attended last night. His view was £1.6m profit is not to be sneezed at. 50% of the squad are home grown. A hotel in the making with management partners ready and waiting plus SW Stand and auditorium.

Yet somebody took exception to Tony Rowe and he reacted likewise.Well from somewhere up the M6 let me advise you to get real. If it wasn't for TR it is quite possible that Chiefs might well be playing in Nat 1 or 2 south and not the only profitable club in the PL as well as Champions. Tony Rowe has been successful in life and he#s probably not the easiest man to work for or with buut he could have owned Chiefs had he chose to do so but he not only declined the opportunity but made the rules such that nobody else could either.

Count yourselves very lucky to have him and be careful what you wish for.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 16:17
The term Commercial in Confidence could be the reason for reticence in going into detail about the hotel development, there are reportedly two interested parties in running the hotel so TR is probably keen not to queer the pitch.
Agree with BCCC, love him or loathe him, TR has contributed much to the Chiefs and we are lucky to have such a strong leader!

singsoutloud
singsoutloud (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 18:51
It was an odd exchange and TR did bristle a touch. However it seems to me self-evident that the club would never allow the hotelís activities to jeopardise Chiefs income on any level, furthermore owning the only access for guests arriving means the hotel is bound to work hand in hand with the club. Asking about an independent review into its feasibility sounded a touch naive. The directors and trustees have Exeter rugby in their veins and Iím more than happy to trust them!

Scuff
Scuff (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 20:20
Quote:
PhilW2010
The opening post from HUGHVILLE suggests that the Chairman took something personally When a member asked what look to be perfectly reasonable questions.
Should it really matter how the questions were asked ??
The Chairman of a Club should always be prepared to, and be capable of answering most questions from the membership in a polite & professional manner!

Would it be possible that the Member maybe thought that the Chairman was not representing or putting forward the views & interests of the members as he should be??

Of course they are reasonable questions, and should have been answered politely regardless, and it is absolutely possible that they were asked solely to represent member's concerns.

And it is also completely possible that the questions were asked because they couldn't be answered, because not answering would cause concerns, because the person in question may be representing their own views or concerns, not the club's - maybe they are affected by traffic changes or own a nearby hotel.

I don't know. Which is why I asked.

Peter Ord
OAP (Over a pint) (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 20:56
I remember attending the open day before Sandy Park opened fr business and many were furious that TR would bankrupt the club. He didn't and he won't because he loves the club. I don't quite have as much as TR but I have more than I need to see me out of this life in luxury. Would I want to do what he does? Not a chance.

Once again get real and enjoy being a part of the best club in England. Your club.

chieftain
Chieftain (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 12:46
Quote:
Big Chief Cheshire Cheese
Tony Rowe has been successful in life and he#s probably not the easiest man to work for or with buut he could have owned Chiefs had he chose to do so but he not only declined the opportunity but made the rules such that nobody else could either.

I don't think that is correct, he offered to buy the club back in the day and John Baxter (and other members) told him its not for sale.

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 14:48
Quote:
Chieftain
Quote:
Tony Rowe has been successful in life and he#s probably not the easiest man to work for or with buut he could have owned Chiefs had he chose to do so but he not only declined the opportunity but made the rules such that nobody else could either.

I don't think that is correct, he offered to buy the club back in the day and John Baxter (and other members) told him its not for sale.

Chieftain is correct. It is to TR's credit that despite being told that he couldn't buy the club he nevertheless invested in it.

I also think that the questions raised would have been more appropriate for a Members' Forum than an AGM (even under the AOB heading) but if TR had said so he would have been criticised for not answering the question. It was a 'can't win' situation for him.

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 15:43
Quote:
Obviously now living in Cheshire I was unable to attend the AGM but i have spoken with a pal who attended last night. His view was £1.6m profit is not to be sneezed at. 50% of the squad are home grown. A hotel in the making with management partners ready and waiting plus SW Stand and auditorium.
Yet somebody took exception to Tony Rowe and he reacted likewise.Well from somewhere up the M6 let me advise you to get real. If it wasn't for TR it is quite possible that Chiefs might well be playing in Nat 1 or 2 south and not the only profitable club in the PL as well as Champions. Tony Rowe has been successful in life and he#s probably not the easiest man to work for or with buut he could have owned Chiefs had he chose to do so but he not only declined the opportunity but made the rules such that nobody else could either.

Count yourselves very lucky to have him and be careful what you wish for.

Sorry, but I am 99.9% sure you are totally wrong on that one.
Pretty sure that TR did in fact try to "buy the club"...but was told that it Was not for Sale!
And I believe TR has since embarked on a number of schemes where by he can become a major share holder. And was it TR's money that paid for the North Terrace to be built?

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 15:45
Sorry, should have continued reading the thread before replying.
cheiftan & exeforever had already answered the point about buying the club etc.

Garnett
Garnett (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 19:45
I have worked with the Hotelier being considered. Commercially it does not operate as you suggest The franchise with the hotel chain usually guarantees a level of occupation at a fixed room rate. The risk is with them. They make money by charging higher rates according to demand.

I also know they dont like people talking about this hence the sensitivity!

Garnett

Blue feather
Blue feather (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:10
Quote:
exeter supporter
The lady member was introduced. She is Natasha Pavis, who has been with Sandy Park for 11 years and is General Manager of Sandy Park.
I'm quietly confident that the recent board changes will add to the expertise of the board and continue the good management of the club but (and there is always a but!) I have a concern that 'a paid member of staff' will have difficulty being independent in their decision making, their interest is too close. I'm sure that board 'rules' will ensure probity etc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net