rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs beat Bath and stay at the top.. ....next up it's Leinster at Sandy Park..... ..... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MESSAGES->author
The here and now.
Prarie Dog (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 23:39
Due to my pessimistic nature I was going to go into a long diatribe of how the wheel of success will eventually and inevitably turn. Well sod that!
In the here and now Exeter Chiefs are building on last years success and are improving as a team/squad. It is there for all to see. From my viewpont the players have a belief in our tactics that simply dictates that we win games. We can run away with victories but also grind out wins when things aren't clicking. We have a plan b. We have a squad built on players from the championship who have been developed, players who's clubs didn't see the potential they had and players who have been nurtured through the academy and youth teams.
The Chiefs management never dwell on injured players. They simply fit someone else in. No players place is secure. The team effort is paramount.
Compare this attitude to Wasps for example: Yes, they have had many early season injuries but more than Ex? Maybe, maybe not. Is it Chiefs fault that Wasps squad is built on big signings? No it isn't. It is their own managements fault for not seeing the developement potential in the type of players the Chiefs sign or bring through.
Sooner or later the wheel WILL turn but for now I'm very happy to be a Chiefs supporter!
smileys with beer

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

Da' nzho!
Pawel Vygot.

MESSAGES->author
Re: The here and now.
Clyst Colt Chief (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 07:25
PD

You and me buhy with our pessimistic outlooks .... We is the Statler and Waldorf (from the muppets) of the Library.

The wheel will turn ...... I hope it's after a few more years as Premiership Champions and maybe even European Champions....

When it does turn ... we're ALL (I hope) support getting us back on the right direction and enjoy the challenges of doing so. You'm gotta believe buhy ... and if you can't believe after the fantastic achievements of our wonderful Exe .... What can you believe in.

I still have to pinch myself that we are indeed Premiership Champions.... It's been such a journey.

When I see my team standing from the side of the Saries pitch grind out such a win and silence the Allianz.. And win at home against Bath yesterday ... we are acting and playing like reigning Champions.....let's enjoy and don't forget to savour.

Thank You... Exeter Chiefs

"Get on Exe"

MESSAGES->author
Prarie Dog (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 09:56
Nice one CCC.

I'm Waldorf from the North Stand.

(Sm130)

We know who we be!

Da' nzho!
Pawel Vygot.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 11:20
I would expect a bit of a pessimistic attitude, I said it a couple of years ago and to be honest I think little has changed.

We in this area are not surrounded by sporting success in other sports as teams from up country are, In fact aside from the Chiefs the nearest major sports team playing in their top tier would either Somerset Cricket Club (If you consider Cricket a major sport) or Bath Rugby. As a result I feel like some of us as fans don't take the success of the club for granted and see it as a given, or even expected thing, This is something I have noticed from other fans (No names mentioned..........) But I personally think it stems from the fact that we can all still remember playing in the Championship and the old National Leagues and as a result to us it is more of a continual journey rather than a given or expected/demanded thing.

MESSAGES->author
Moorsman (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 12:39
I think it's one of the things Rob Baxter uses as motivation. He regularly refers to playing in the Premiership as a privilege to be savoured.

MESSAGES->author
03 December, 2017 12:45
Quote:
Prarie Dog
Nice one CCC.
I'm Waldorf from the North Stand.

(Sm130)

Sorry PD - I know you hang out on the Fraggle Rock known as the North Terrace ... :-)

I should have said we were Waldorf and Statler of Sandy Park .... Or else we're sound like a couple of parish councillors from neighbouring villages.

MESSAGES->author
Prarie Dog (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 13:20
smileys with beer Indeed Mr Statler.

We know who we be!

Da' nzho!
Pawel Vygot.

Chiefsexile
Chiefsexile (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 18:31
As my name suggests, I'm not living there anymore so I miss the local knowledge but, it seems to me that I am quite often hearing mention of local lads coming from teams around the area who are breaking into the Chiefs set up. Sounds to me that getting a top flight team embedded in the area has acted as a magnet for talent that was already there and there is now a means to launch youngsters onto the ladder.

That has to be good news for Chiefs and perhaps getting another local team in the Prem smiling smiley

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 20:58
466 players between 13-23 across the region receiving coaching from Chiefs staff apparently. A figure which is continuing to grow

No wonder we are finding some talent!

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 21:24
Quote:
fatheralice
466 players between 13-23 across the region receiving coaching from Chiefs staff apparently. A figure which is continuing to grow

BUT - A number of the local Clubs in the Area are, apparently, actually struggling to field a side in the older age groups of their clubs junior section, and this is, allegedly, Due to the clubs loosing players to The Chiefs Academy?

Double edged Sword?

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

Chief RedWine
Chief Redwine (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 07:53
Quote:
PhilW2010
Quote:
fatheralice

BUT - A number of the local Clubs in the Area are, apparently, actually struggling to field a side in the older age groups of their clubs junior section, and this is, allegedly, Due to the clubs loosing players to The Chiefs Academy?

Double edged Sword?

Can we have substantiated facts for this allegation please? This is a fantastic positive from the club, and all you can think of is this negative spin? (and it is 'losing' not 'loosing').

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:04
I think Phil has highlighted a serious point. Why should talented kids be encouraged to follow their dream? When they join a club, even at under 7s, they should be contracted to that club until they are at least 18.

On the other hand maybe people should follow their dreams?

Chief RedWine
04 December, 2017 09:22
Quote:
Chief Redwine
Quote:
PhilW2010
Quote:
fatheralice

Double edged Sword?

Can we have substantiated facts for this allegation please? This is a fantastic positive from the club, and all you can think of is this negative spin? (and it is 'losing' not 'loosing').

And now, on a less irritated note. The problem of losing players from the age of 16 is not a new one and has many reasons. Amongst them are hormones, college/university movements, going out to work (part or full-time), hormones, playing the game since the age of 6/7 (there is a decent stat somewhere about there being a ten year attention span to any sport), other sports and, of course, hormones.

Talented and ambitious players will always move on to another level. Three players I coached for several years were offered places at the academy - and I was absolutely delighted to see one of them accept. He didn't make the pro. grade but at least he tried.

MESSAGES->author
Prarie Dog (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:39
As a footnote. If you want to see pessimism and angst go to the Saints forum. (Sm103)

The comments posted there make me extremely grateful for the club and team we have at the moment.smiling smiley

We know who we be!

Da' nzho!
Pawel Vygot.

MESSAGES->author
05 December, 2017 20:26
Too right. .. Waldorf

"Get on Exe"

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 21:14
Quote:
Chief Redwine
Quote:
PhilW2010
Quote:
fatheralice

Double edged Sword?

First of all...I agree that the Chiefs Academy gives young players a fantastic opportunity & is a "spring-board" in to the big time for the best of them!

As for substantiated facts? The"negative spin" (as you put it) came from a friend (ex-player at Exeter) who's lad Played for Teignmouth...but has now moved to Paignton as his age group at Teignmouth folded.
I actually said to the Dad - "so the age old problem of Boy's being lured away from Club Rugby when they discover Girls and/or beer and/or jobs is still the same then".
His reply was - "that's the same...and the chiefs academy is adding to it".

Maybe, if it is in fact true that the Chiefs Academy is having a bit of a negative impact on the Colts age groups at local Rugby Clubs, it is better to get it out and discussed.
Or is there some law against people discussing such things??

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 21:17 by PhilW2010.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 00:32
That's still not a fact Phil, it's one man's conjecture.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 06:14
I think the better question to ask is if this is effecting other clubs. Teignmouth have quite a small catchment area compared to clubs like Barnstaple, Okehampton and Crediton. If one of those is folding junior sides then there might be cause for concern

Chief RedWine
06 December, 2017 09:33
Phil

So, one person tells you it could be a problem and you then project that out into it being and I'll quote you here:

'a number of the local Clubs in the Area are, apparently, actually struggling to field a side in the older age groups of their clubs junior section, and this is, allegedly, Due to the clubs loosing players to The Chiefs Academy?'

You have exaggerated the impact from one person at one club to 'a number of the local clubs'. Which is frankly a major leap. In addition the words 'apparently' and 'allegedly' detract from that statement.

Just look at those outreach figures. A tiny minority of those players will want to move on to the academy. The vast majority of players will have been enthused by having contact with either players or coaches wearing the Chiefs strip. A massive positive to the local game.

There is, of course, no law against people discussing these things. Who said there is? Simply challenging your assertion is not stopping a discussion is it? Or is there a law against your allegations being challenged? smiling smiley

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 20:24
It is not only academies, hormones, girls or colleges, that lure youngsters away. But the fact that they are taken to their local club at the age of 5, yes 5, and by the time they are 12/13/14/15 they are sick of the sight of a rugby ball, and that is why we are losing so many young players.

They start too early, let them try lots of other things first, I did not start until I was 12 at school, I played until I was 38 in regional rugby, wore the green and white of my County and captained my club. I then coached for 13 years and chaired my club, because after playing football, cricket, swimming and badminton I realise at about 15 that rugby was for me, and it became my life.

They want to try other things, and who can blame them. Guys, this is not an opinion, it is a fact.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net