rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs beat Bath and stay at the top.. ....next up it's Leinster at Sandy Park..... ..... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

fisher
Sad Saints
fisher (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 12:58
It really is quite depressing reading their board at the moment. It shows how quickly you can lose the support and interest of your followers if at the very least you dont appear to be competetive in this game. I like many grew up seeing Saints as one of our best teams and a side to look up to and if possible emulate. This should be a warning to us as we will certainly go through bad times in the future and cannot take success as a given and I for one am very sorry to see Saints going through this bad patch but with their history I hope this is a very short downturn and better results are not far off(excluding our game of course!)

Peter Ord
Re: Sad Saints
04 December, 2017 13:56
Part of the problem is the relatively small number of teams in the PL a number that could reduce even further if certain parties have their way. In just a handful of games you can plummit or soar in the league with equal measure unlike soccere wher the likes of Man United can be in despair when they drop a similar number of places. If you think back a little over a year ago many of us wondered if the bubble had burst.

For some clubs dropping a few places would have been a joy. Think Richmond, London Welsh, Orrel, Waterloo, Broughton Park and Headingly to name but a few. My worry is that yet more will follow the same route because you can't continue losing money for ever and when some of the benefactors pop their clogs with the debts suddenly be called in.

Not that I advocate ring fencing but you can see the attraction of those wanting its introduction and raising the number in the league to fourteen?

MESSAGES->author
Tribester (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 17:40
If you look back at the Premiership League/finals champions clubs over the years, youíll see;Bath, Tigers, Wasps, Newcastle, Sale, Harlequins, Northampton, Saracens and Exeter.
And that doesnít include Gloucester who finished top but didnít win the final.

Simple maths shows that not all these clubs can be in the top 4 or top 6 even, every year, itís impossible.
Some clubs and their fans will see their teams towards the bottom, when it may be only fine margins that puts them there, but they all cannot be top 4.

Itís hard, but the fans have just got to keep the faith and keep enjoying the rugby.
Saints and Chiefs were the only two clubs in the 2015/16 to not make a loss. Better to be tenth, than end up like London Welsh.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 18:11
Saints need to air out that bad smells that are lingering around Franklins Gardens and change the scenery. I do think its time to change things up at the Gardens in more ways than one.

As I pointed out in the Alex Waller thread, the fact that a prop has played 150 consecutive games is perhaps more of a reflection of their lack of player rotation than it is an achievement to be praised for Waller which to be honest is a shame for Saints as they have a proud history behind them that is perhaps being more than a little mismanaged at the moment.

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 08:25
As Tribester says, fine margins apply. Saints have scored more points than second placed Gloucester, have only coceded a few more points, and have more bonus points. From which I assume that Saints have had a few narrow losses while Gloucs have had a few narrow wins. A few points either way for those two teams and their league positions could be reversed.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 13:21
In Saints case I agree in part that its Aa narrow margins point. But bear in mind that there are games that have played in this year that where far from a narrow margin, Their opening day Roasting against Sarries and then again in their European tie also against Sarries and who can forget the shambolic Saints team that got demolished at Sandy Park in the LV cup game a few weeks ago. True they have had some narrow losses and found themselves in situations and positions they should not find themselves in. But I still maintain that in order to right a few wrongs and set things back on the right track they need a refresh.

Iam not saying they should fire Jim Mallinder, But I do think they need to change things up a little.

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 11:37
Jim Mallinder is now leaving the club, paying the price for a couple of years of underachievement. Saints say they're beginning the search for a world class coach. It'll be interesting to see who they manage to attract and if the change makes any difference. Mallinder appears to be taking the rap for a rather wider failure by coaches and players. No doubt he'll find it easy enough to find a new post given his record, but not a nice place for him to be in.

MESSAGES->author
minuteman (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 12:01
Given Ali Hephers previous connections and his success with us, i really hope heís not approached but wouldnít be suprised to see him linked with a move

Chief Milbury Farm
Two Moons (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 12:04
I've always had respect for the way that Mallinder responds to both wins and losses, usually giving credit to the winning team.

I have the similar respect for Mark McCall & Dai Young, hopefully Mallinder can find his way to Cardiff Blues and help with a recovery of Welsh Regional rugby.

Would a young Harry fit into our plans as a future 15?

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 18:36
Guess I should be on the way to the shops to get some lottery tickets right about now...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net