rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs finish Prem Cup run top of group.... Next up it's Brizz at Ashton Gate. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Brent1
Re: great first half falcons
Brent1 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 18:38
Not sure RB had too much choice with the changes most were due to injury and a couple (Armand and Hill) were in my view to rotate players that have played a ridiculous amount of rugby.

every club has ups and downs and RB has demonstrated he is a far better coach than to disrespect another club particularly one like Newcastle who are real grafters and who are having a better season than in recent years.

As others have said the TBPs in the last minute in the last 2 games were a bit fortunate, sometimes the ball bounces a different way !

Probably a good wake up call for X and fair play to Falcons.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 18:39
Quote:
fatheralice
Quote:
Boldangrey
Looks like Baxter thinks he has his hands on the trophy.
Change 10 players?

That's what happens when you don't pay the opposition enough respect.

or maybe he knew motivation could be an issue for this game - maybe the toughest game to play after the Xmas break, so tried to freshen things up?

Newcastle were mid table playing top of the table, but had no problem with post Christmas motivation!

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 18:42
Quote:
Boldangrey
Change 10 players?

Sorry but they should have been good enough, Newcastle played well and deserved the win. Arrogance is one thing you can never accuse our coaches of.

They have good players and a proven coach at Falcons, so Iím not surprised we came unstuck. Would be interesting to see our record on the artificial pitches, I donít think itís to clever. Donít Glasgow play on one?

East Terrace Central
Our roads are paved with hope, and there are no stop signs.
"COME ON EXE!"

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 20:00
You beat Saracens away on an artificial pitch so it can't be too bad.

gassyrucker
gassyrucker (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 20:10
Well played Falcons. Chiefs canít win them all.

And who really cares what a Bath supporter thinks? ĎCos letís face it EVERYONE hates Bath....

MESSAGES->author
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 20:50
Top marks as always to the Chiefs supporters who made it up here. It is a long old trip so we really do appreciate the effort you make. There will be some sore heads tomorrow as I passed the pub nearest to the ground at about noon to see a load of Exeter supporters making their way to the bar, no doubt after having spent a night in the bars of the city. Get the Berocca & paracetamol ready, hope the hangover was worth the weekend away.

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 20:58
Well done Falcons, definitely a club on the up again and it is great to see.

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 21:01
Listened on Radio Devon well...what can I say? If you're going to have a performance like that...have it when we're in the position we're in. Congratulations to the Geordies who I always though were going to provide a potential banana skin today.

As for the lineup rotation...in Rob we trust! We have our backs against the wall in the Champions Cup and were going to need the players to be fresh for the next two matches, then rest the main guys for the Anglo-Welsh, then come back firing in the Premiership after that. Sorted! smiling smiley

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 00:00
When all is said and done - I think that was the reality check we needed, and it will do us no harm at all.

Fire it up for the home game in the champions cup next weekend boys.

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

Pool_falcon
Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 04:29
Cracking game and loved every minute of it. I never felt comfortable until we kicked that conversion tbh as you're such a strong side, you could get back in it at any point.

Just on some of the points raised by a few of your posters.

I thought your side had enough and the changes looked good enough to take us. We have a terrible record against you and but for a bit of magic from our wingers, would not have been ahead so far in the 1st, making it a completely different game. I don't think Baxter did much wrong and I don't think you took the win for granted.

On the lack of ambition by not going for the corner at the death....well, this highlights the difference in the clubs and where they currently are. You're used to winning, we are not, especially against the top sides. I doubt you would find 1 Falcon fan who wanted us to push for the 4th try with the possibility of losing the game. I am more than happy the we went for posts as it keeps you out of LBP range (more for the record books than not wanting you to get anything from the game) and also closes out the game....at last!

Really like the chiefs and their support, you're a great bunch. Good luck for the rest of the season.

aapierre
aidanb (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 08:48
I was stood in my usual area of the south stand and loved it. Was stood next to a family of Exeter fans who were on the flight home later.
I love how we all can watch a game and get passionate about our team but respect those around us.

As for winning yesterday, well not one of us in the south stand would have predicted that and not got a funny look. An lbp at best was out hopes.

Waldrom is some unit mind. When he came on it would normally have been game over for us but we took his knees every time and he was done and dusted. How we hung on I will never know but it was a full on game of blood and thunder and an absolute joy to watch.

Your 11 (Olly Woodburn - showed him the respect he deserves by looking up his name) was a threat all second half and Iím glad he didnít murder us.

Good luck For the rest of the season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 10:26 by aidanb.

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 09:09
Quote:
Pool_falcon
I thought your side had enough and the changes looked good enough to take us. We have a terrible record against you and but for a bit of magic from our wingers, would not have been ahead so far in the 1st, making it a completely different game. I don't think Baxter did much wrong and I don't think you took the win for granted.

Absolutely. Falcons just came hammering out of the blocks and made the most of the first half. The second half proved that Baxter put out a competitive side. Not to mention Falcons put in a massive number of tackles - that's not the story of playing a B-team.

Congrats to Newcastle on a great performance.

andy15
andy15 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:05
Agree with a lot above on balance of player performance Newcastle deserved the win and well done to them. I would suggest all their players on the pitch were playing at 100% whereas perhaps only 10 of ours were at the same level, it happens, individual errors cost us dear.

The stats from the first half wonít make good reading particularly the missed tackles, some of which were very soft.

The bench made a big difference but we were just too far behind by half time.

Donít like plastic pitches and probably a little advantage to the home team but not enough to impact the score line

Congratulations to Falcons time to move on and finally congratulations to Salmon a try on his first perm start I think ?

Massive game this week

Peter Ord
OAP (Over a pint) (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:27
Some you win and some you lose and RB fully understands this as do the rest of us at Chiefs. We have been getting used to winning and we enjoy it but yesterday helps us keep our feet on the ground. I have my tickets for the final but will I be watching Chiefs? I've no idea but hope so and if not I'll still be wearing my Chiefs shirt, my son in law his Tigers shirt, my best mate his Sale shirt not sure what shirt Tommy Taylor's dad will wear because he was Sale's hooker for many years but that's what this game of ours is all about.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 13:31
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
fatheralice
Quote:
Boldangrey
Change 10 players?

or maybe he knew motivation could be an issue for this game - maybe the toughest game to play after the Xmas break, so tried to freshen things up?

Newcastle were mid table playing top of the table, but had no problem with post Christmas motivation!

One was playing at home, against the top of the table, in front a decent sized crowd, with a micky mouse cup game to play the following week - the other had a 600 mile round trip, and a big European game against the current Top 14 leaders looming. Not really the same thing (Sm107)

Anyway. We lost. It happens. Falcons played better, and deserved to win. The team will learn from it and move on. I will be doing the same

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 20:42 by fatheralice.

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 14:07
Although RB would never admit it I think that fatheralice is absolutely right. We have made a lot of comments about concentrating on Europe this season, if Don Armand had played yesterday and broken his leg everyone would be saying "Why risk him in a game that had no immediate repercussions, why not save him for Montpellier?" It is not being disrespectful to Newcastle to put out the side which is most appropriate for your season-long goals rather than the strongest side that you can every week. The 2 European games are knockout games, yesterday's was one of twenty two, and, given where we were in the table, not one of the most important.

It's only 3 or 4 years since sides used to rest star players when they were playing us. Furthermore we have Saracens and Wasps during the international window and Bath the week after the 6 Nations finishes; all of these factors play a role in selection policies.

I am not suggesting that we went out to lose the game but I do believe that we put out the most appropriate side given everything else that is going on rather than the strongest side that we could have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 14:08 by Exeforever.

Blue feather
Blue feather (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 14:45
Falcons learnt from watching Leinster's game plan and linking to other threads, a try that shouldn't have been (off side at the tackle and a forward pass) no wonder Flood rushed the kick and JY's 'pass to Gonova', & giving away a penalty on our 22 with 2 minutes to go.
A bad game boys.

dick g
dick g (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 15:38
Quote:
Chiefsexile
Quote:
fatheralice
Played Falcons. Great effort today. Sinoti was ridiculous, although I would have given motm to Wilson who was brilliant. My only thought is they showed a bit of a lack of ambition at the death, when they could have gone for the 4th try with that final penalty. I'd have backed them to get it from the lineout.
If they make top 4 and beat us in the play offs, then fair enough, but the point they gave up there could be costly in a tight mid table.

Chiefs not quite on their game - tough away trip after the Xmas break. A few to many player having a poor game. Half time came 5 mins too late. Much better second half, but we left ourselves too much to do.
Think we might regret trying to play when penalty and then knock-on advantages were offered on half way, and later in their 22. Wasted time, and ref was quick to blow on both occasions.

Lots to be disappointed by in that performance, but I think it will probably do us some good in the bigger picture.

Falcons deserved the win. They were far more physical throughout, and took the chances well. Club going in the right direction.

I enjoyed watching them but, and I was willing them on to play positive for the TBP rather than simply deprive us of the LBP.

Falconista in quiet satisfaction.

We may have taken the ball at a Penalty line out, but if we had somehow offended Sir, you lot could have progressed the length of the pitch and taken the game. With only a five point lead, the job was to finish the game.

I look forward to seeing you in the Play Off final. (We'll, a man can dream)

Wampum
Wampum (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 10:23
Toby Salmon has surely played his way into the squad now. He made a big difference I feel and is a better pick than Ollie A.

chiefs-fan85
Weegie Chief (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 12:41
For those that recall the Championship winning year, we hit a blip around Christmas when we started to worry that the wheels had fallen off and we were destined to miss out to Bristol. We were not aware that Rob had the team working on their fitness, knowing full well that finishing top of the table won you nothing.

We are still in a fantastic position, squad rotation is a must.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net