rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs do the double over Montpelier ....next up it's away to Glasgow .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

dwhite805
Nic White. Starting 9?
dwhite805 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 18:36
Is it just me or are there others out there wondering why are young 9's arent getting more game time. The recruitment of White seems to have stauled their development. Im not sure he's that much better & I would hate to loose a home grown as a consequence.

Jc12345
Re: Nic White. Starting 9?
Jc12345 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:22
There’s a big gap between them in my opinion, I really like white at 9

Broken arrow
Broken arrow (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:51
Maunder has been and still is, injured, I doubt Chiefs will play him until he is 100%. Not sure about Stu. White has a quick pass but other aspects of his game are poor imo.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 20:06
White was very good today. Rob knows what he's doing.
This thing some people gave about a "home grown team" is frankly absurd. When the time comes the best young players will get their chances, until then the Chiefs are ambitious and crave success, we're achieving success.

Currychief
Currychief (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 21:32
Great point GJ. I was discussing the same thing before kick off. What Nic White brings in defence needs to be acknowledged before we look at what all scrum halfs add above and beyond.

Prop A
Arthur (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:02
Watching the game today I was struck by how White's pass, more times than not, is in front of the receiving player such that he takes the ball at full speed and doesn't have to break stride. This gives the receiving player the momentum to break the first tackle or even beat it and get well over the gain line. Many other players seem to pass more often than not to where the player is, taking no account of the momentum, thereby causing the receiver to have to wait for the pass and loosing that critical fraction of a second. It is a fundamental skill that, for example, the All Blacks do with aplomb making the simple game of rugby look simple.
I think this is White's fundamental advantage; not only is the delivery fast but the accuracy is spot on. He has some relative weaknesses compared to our other 9s but in this important regard he is, IMHO way out ahead.

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:16
I had wondered that previously but not after today's game. I thought he was very good today.
Competition for places is definitely a good thing and his stats must be backing up his selection as Rob has said previously stats are used just as much if not more than eyes for selecting players.
He was brought to the club for his big game experience in Europe etc and today he delivered so not sure personally that today is the right day to start questioning the merits of his selection?

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:17
Thought he had a good game today but should have been replaced about 10 minutes earlier because hi delivery was slowing down a tad. Thought Chudley and the rest of the bench were impressive when they came on.
Maunder and Townsend were superb covering for Chudders and Lewis last season but they will learn much from White. Hopefully Chudders will stay with us, there is a lot of speculation about him moving on!

goss8800
Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:42
I thought the passing today for the whole team was poor. When we went for a missed pass or a longer one they where either dropping short or the player had to stop to receive them.

Woodburn's tries where more special when you look at the passes he received for both of them.

dwhite805
dwhite805 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 11:03
Thanks for some mature debate. I like Whie as well, just hope we dont loose the youngsters as a consequnce. Personally I would like to see a little more rotation.

Garnett
Garnett (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 22:37
Risk of loosing players was important. We are national champions. If you are going to be number 3 or 4 it is the best place in England to be. Squad rotation has its place outside the Prem and Europe. Newcastle weekend proved that point.

We need a better local club be our feeder. Bristol and LI are now so far ahead N1 it had made promotion and relegation meaningless. 14 team prem has always been hard to swallow but
it is needed to develop another SW side perhaps?

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 23:25
Quote:
Chief Fire Water
I thought the passing today for the whole team was poor. When we went for a missed pass or a longer one they where either dropping short or the player had to stop to receive them.
Woodburn's tries where more special when you look at the passes he received for both of them.

Really???
Sorry, but you must have been watching a different game!
O.K, so one or two went astray...but there were also so fantastic passes. One to note was Steeno putting Mitch lees clean through.
And as the BT sports commentators stated "really clean crisp passing from the chiefs in this first 20" !!!

Woodburn's first try? Steeno could easily have run that in himself, but chose not to be greedy...and passed it out wide!

Was Eddie Jones at the game?? Sladey was trying too hard again, lucky to get away with two deliberate knock ons!

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net