rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs end the season in first place....next up it's Falcons at Sandy Park for the Prem Semifinal.. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Master Chief
Rumours/ signings 2018
Master Chief (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 09:50
With some of our rivals already announcing top quality signings and a number of our own squad out of contract I thought it was worth starting a 2018 rumours/ signings/ re-signings thread to track how the club is looking to evolve and improve into next season.

Baxter has already said that the club won’t be looking to make many signings while Wasps have already announced the signing of two All Blacks!! Although the coaches do a great job of bringing through young players and improving the players already at the club, should we be looking to improve from a position of strength or is there a danger of doing a Northampton?

Are there particular areas that need strengthening; how will we replace the quality of Waldrom and co in the back row; will we re-sign the likes of Campo and Van der Sluys who have had no game time due to injury; which players will come through next season?

IN:

N/A

Rumours IN:

Billy Searle from Bristol
Santiago Cordero
Duncan Weir from Edinburgh

Re-signings:

Gareth Steenson for 2 years
Ian Whitten for 3 years
Mitch Lees for 3 years
Jack Yeandle for 3 years
Elvis Taione for 2 years
Greg Holmes for 2 years
Harry Williams for 2 years
Sam Hill for 2 years
James Short for 2 years

OUT:

Shaun Malton to Bristol

Rumours OUT:

Julian Salvi to Bristol
Thomas Waldrom to Japan/ NZ
Kai Horstmann retiring
Will Chudley to Bath

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2018 08:33 by Master Chief.

goss8800
Re: Rumours/ signings 2018
Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 10:54
No chance we will end up like Northampton

Julian Salvi to Bristol
Thomas Waldrom to Japan/ NZ
Kai Horstmann retiring
Will Chudley to Bath

Out of the above I feel Waldrom is the main lose.

With Maunder and Townsend coming through and Joe Snow (England u20 on loan to Plymouth) would Chudley get much game time.

Same with Salvi, hie game time would be limited next year.

Just because players have played for the All Blacks and other teams doesn't make them specail, if they are that good wouldn't New Zealand do everything to keep them there.

The area I would like to strengthen is fullback, Turner is my number one and with Dollman coming to the end I feel we need to bring in some cover. Jack and Henry can play there but I feel we need extra .

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 11:05
Henry Slade seems to have decided that 13 is the future and using him as the back up 10 in the match day squad seems to be no longer the case with Joe Simmonds warming the bench of late, presumably Searle is being signed to give us a back up 10 to cover injuries?
Chudley is a bit of a conundrum, if he is due to leave us at the end of the season, it is unusual for us to be giving him so much game time of late, usually when a player decides to move on he rarely gets into the match day squad at Exeter.
If we do sign a back row player to replace Waldrom or Salvi I reckon Rob will look to the Championship for a player with potential but we do have some quality young guys in the Academy - Tom Lawdrey looks a good prospect!

Tiverton Brave
Tiverton Brave (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 11:31
Agreed Lowerwatha, Tom Lawday looks like another off the Academy conveyor belt. He has power at the breakdown and speed across the park too.
Hopefully we will see a bit more of him in AW games or A league fixtures.

Shy Ann
Shy Ann (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 11:51
Tom has been getting great reviews with the Pirates so can see him slotting into Tank's spot. Dont forget weve got Dave Dennis to come back as well. If James Freeman continues his progress it looks pretty good in the forwards. Tom O'Flaherty may get some game time at 15 in the AW and is shaping up ok & Bo Diddly likewise. Cant see many signings. Campo will have to play well to figure in the main squad this year.

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 12:51
Quote:
Chief Fire Water
The area I would like to strengthen is fullback, Turner is my number one and with Dollman coming to the end I feel we need to bring in some cover. Jack and Henry can play there but I feel we need extra .

I like the look of Bodilly there.

Master Chief
Master Chief (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 13:56
I agree with the sentiments above. I raised the questions but I also don’t feel we need to make many signings. I think that Waldrom will be a big loss and despite the emergence of Sam Simmonds, Tank has played a key role this season yet again. I think it would be unfair to expect Simmonds to play the majority of games at 8 next season and he might well be away with England. With Freeman and Lawday I think we will have two very good options but given the former is more a 6 I think we should look to sign a top quality 8 to compete.

Billy Searle has received rave reviews from Bristol fans this season so I hope we can sign him. It sounds like a smart move. We can possibly expect Steenson to play next season so Joe Simmonds can do with some healthy competition, and with Steenson as mentor the two young guns will push each other on.

I also agree that the only other position to fill for me would be full back. I really hope Bodilly can come through and show his potential but it wouldn’t harm to sign a quality full back who can play across the back three.

I agree that signing All Blacks doesn’t necessarily mean an improvement to a team but I do think that we should where and when possible look to drip in a high quality player or two. The whole league improves year on year with many teams signing classy players. Although our success is built on the team you can’t deny that classy players can be game changers. For instance I know that we tried to sign Moriarty for next season before he had made his mind up to go to Wales. That would have been a great signing.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 14:17
Re Fullback
JJ Taulagi is still in the pipeline isn't he? Visa application was only possible after he played for Samoa in November, so I'd expect that to be sorted fairly soon - ideally for the AW weekends.
Also, as said, Bodilly is a great talent who has been ulucky to miss out through injury this season. He feels like a player who will breakthrough given a run of games.

In terms of possible signings

- Props - I feel we need to keep at least one of Holmes or Low, especially if Francis is lured to Wales at the end of next season. Otherwise, a THP may be needed, whilst waiting for some of the youngsters to come through.
- Hooker if Elvis and Malton don't renew, although I would hope we keep at least Malton, we look short, especially if/when LCD is called up, and it is a position Rob likes 4 front line players in.
Locks - what looked a weakness at the start of the season is looking a lot more solid now, with the development of Hill and Skinner. Dennis can also cover here so happy with our options now
Backrow - Depends on how they view the 8 position - Tom Lawday looks a talent there, so could easily see us manage with our existing options for a season, whilst waiting for him to come through; equally, it is an area an experienced and powerful 8 could fill nicely. I would want us to sign experience here, or not at all.
Scrum Half - we are loaded if all the youngsters make it! Sam Maunder has not been mentioned yet, but is looking like he could be a decent prospect in a few years time too.
Fly Half - I hope to see more of Joe Simmonds over the course of this season. Searle would be a good prospect to bring into our systems, Steeno seems confident his body will hold out, and Slade and Devoto as options too so OK here
Centre -No vacancies! Henrickson and Laverick look useful too
Wing / Full Back - Feel we are a bit short of numbers here - Bodilly and Taulagi will help, but maybe need another body?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/01/2018 18:56 by fatheralice.

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 17:00
The Montpellier fullback Immelman looked a strong player. Probably with Waldrom going we need a talisman type player to move us onwards and upwards.

Brent1
Brent1 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 18:09
May not be a view that others share but I don't think we are hugely missing TTTE.

The reason for this is the increasing ability for the others like Sam Simmonds, LCD, Jack Y and others to fulfil the role TTTE made his own, controlling the maul

3 seasons ago we didn't do it anywhere near as much....TTTE led the way (reflected in the try records he has) and others have learnt from him.

Not a slight of TTTE, in fact a compliment, the best players not only play well themselves but help develop those around them

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 18:35
Aaron Cruden was an All Black but you wouldn't of guessed that from Saturday if you didn't know who he was?!
After all that Rob and have done in the signings department I trust them to get it right so am not worried about it to be honest and the young players coming through in key positions in the academy and on dual reg are really exciting from what I have seen.

Master Chief
Master Chief (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 23:35
Quote:
Zyder head
Aaron Cruden was an All Black but you wouldn't of guessed that from Saturday if you didn't know who he was?!
After all that Rob and have done in the signings department I trust them to get it right so am not worried about it to be honest and the young players coming through in key positions in the academy and on dual reg are really exciting from what I have seen.

Who do you think will be the stars that come through in the next season or two? I have to admit I don’t know one or two of the players mentioned, eg Ted Landry. I know we have a number of players like Marcus Street and Josh Caulfield but what of players like Richard Capstick, Charlie Wright and Joe Snow?

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 01:16
Quote:
Master Chief
Quote:
Zyder head

Who do you think will be the stars that come through in the next season or two? I have to admit I don’t know one or two of the players mentioned, eg Ted Landry. I know we have a number of players like Marcus Street and Josh Caulfield but what of players like Richard Capstick, Charlie Wright and Joe Snow?

Harvey Skinner is another name to look out for. He has the potential to become a top player.

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

Master Chief
Master Chief (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 15:03
Is Harvey Skinner primarily a fly half? How does he compare to Joe Simmonds? If we sign Billy Searle too we will have some set on our hands?

Does anyone know much about the potential of Richard Capstick, Charlie Wright, Rusi Tuima, Sal M’Boge, James Kenny, Dan Frost, Joe Snow etc? Will any of them break into the first team squad in the coming couple seasons/ be the next Jack Maunder?

goss8800
Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 19:59
Of all the ones you mentioned I feel Joe Snow has the most chance. He starts for Plymouth and has made it into the u20 squad

StewardSaffin
Little MissChief (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 08:10
Quote:
Chief Fire Water
Of all the ones you mentioned I feel Joe Snow has the most chance. He starts for Plymouth and has made it into the u20 squad

Marcus Street & Josh Caulfield are also in u20 squad.

MESSAGES->author
black_otter (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 08:18
Whitts and Mitch Lees sign on for another 3 years

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 11:38
I'm happy to delegate my responsibility for signings policy to Rob & Co. They haven't done too badly so far without my assistance. It looks as though they are concentrating on extending contracts while, no doubt, further developing our youngsters and signing the occasional addition to the squad. So far as the latter is concerned, Rob has always made clear that a player's character is just as important to him as their talent or record. I don't therefore see too many 'big names' being signed unless they meet the character criterion. The big names approach hasn't worked too well for some other teams who have chosen having a relatively small squad with stars to a bigger squad with depth of talent. I do think we might be a bit light for a while at No 10 if Henry sees himself now primarily as a centre but, as above, I'm sure Rob will get it right.

Chief Milbury Farm
Two Moons (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 12:01
Quote:
Brent1
May not be a view that others share but I don't think we are hugely missing TTTE.
The reason for this is the increasing ability for the others like Sam Simmonds, LCD, Jack Y and others to fulfil the role TTTE made his own, controlling the maul

3 seasons ago we didn't do it anywhere near as much....TTTE led the way (reflected in the try records he has) and others have learnt from him.

Not a slight of TTTE, in fact a compliment, the best players not only play well themselves but help develop those around them

I think we miss TTTE more in defence that attack these days Brent, I feel we defend our line against the rolling maul / lineout drive better with TTTE's experience and tackling technique. Although I'm sure someone has some stats that show otherwise.

sadlerchief
sadlerchief (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 16:29
I just wonder if Harry Mallinder will be looking to move on from Saints now his Dad has left? That would make for an interesting full back option

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net