rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Sarries at HQ.... looking forward to next season now. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MESSAGES->author
Wasps break the Salary Cap
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 20:04
Confirmed in a statement by Premiership Rugby

Quote:
Premiership Rugby
Premiership Rugby can today confirm that following the completion of the independent audit of Salary spend for the 2016-17 Season, it was established that Wasps had overrun their limit by £40,528.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Wasps break the Salary Cap
Moorsman (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 20:29
And they get find 50p for every £1 overspend

Currychief
Currychief (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 07:38
Pig that was the cost of reaching a final perhaps the punishment doesn’t fit the crime?

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 11:02
Quote:
Currychief
Pig that was the cost of reaching a final perhaps the punishment doesn’t fit the crime?

Given the price of pork these days, perhaps it was the pig that cost the extra £40k? Anyway, pig aside, it sounds as though it was a rather technical offence. Having read the Premiership explanation of the salary cap, I'm hardly surprised there's confusion; it seems almost impenetrable. I imagine quite a few clubs are on the borderline of the cap and it would only take an accountancy reallocation to push them over. I don't think this offence is quite in the same category as those committed - allegedly - in the past by others.

ukms
ukms (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 14:12
Quote:
Tom A Hawk
Quote:
Premiership Rugby
Premiership Rugby can today confirm that following the completion of the independent audit of Salary spend for the 2016-17 Season, it was established that Wasps had overrun their limit by £40,528.

Conveniently missing off the important part in your quote winking smiley

Quote:
Premiership Rugby
“This is not a breach of the Regulations and there is no suggestion it was deliberate,” said a Premiership Rugby spokesman. “A number of adjustments were identified by the independent auditors which resulted in the overrun. These have now been addressed.”

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 15:16
Don't forget we got docked points for what on the face of it was minor clerical error. How far over do you need to go to get a major punishment, but money talks.

MESSAGES->author
Kainai (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 15:30
A storm in a tea cup by the looks of it. Nothing to see here.

ukms
ukms (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 16:43
Quote:
clalan
Don't forget we got docked points for what on the face of it was minor clerical error. How far over do you need to go to get a major punishment, but money talks.

Presumably the 5% that clubs can exceed by which is factored to cater for a variety scenarios. Wasps exceeded by 0.6% and paid the fine.

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 20:55
Its not an attack on Wasps just the rules, we lost points for a clerical error on a players passport, where as a club could spend over the odds to the equivalent of another players wage and get a tap on the hand and told not to do it again.
Bristol could have a happy time as they have money to burn, and very good lawyers,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 20:57 by clalan.

ukms
ukms (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 22:59
Quote:
clalan
Its not an attack on Wasps just the rules, we lost points for a clerical error on a players passport, where as a club could spend over the odds to the equivalent of another players wage and get a tap on the hand and told not to do it again.
Bristol could have a happy time as they have money to burn, and very good lawyers,

I’m not sure but wasn’t your punishment dished out by the RFU rather than Prem rugby ?

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 05:42
Quote:
ukms
Quote:
Tom A Hawk
Quote:
Premiership Rugby

Conveniently missing off the important part in your quote winking smiley

Quote:
Premiership Rugby
“This is not a breach of the Regulations and there is no suggestion it was deliberate,” said a Premiership Rugby spokesman. “A number of adjustments were identified by the independent auditors which resulted in the overrun. These have now been addressed.”

No I didn't. I posted the first sentence of the release and linked to the rest of the release in my original post so people have the option to click on it to read more into it should they wish. If I had left the link out, Then you might have a point.... But I didn't..

Raggs
Raggs (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 08:06
Quote:
clalan

The cap is setup so that a club cannot know how much allowance it will have when signing players, only by the end of the season, which is indeed daft. Wasps predicted that it's English internationals would play more than they did whilst signing and re-signing players (9-16 months before, or earlier), due to injury, they didn't.

This is precisely why the overrun tax was introduced, to allow clubs to get it a bit wrong. 5% over the base cap level is the allowed amount. Upto £50k error is 50p per £1, over £50k is £1 for each £1, and over £200k is £3 for every £1. Over the 5% mark and then a new set of punishment protocols come into play.

I suspect the accountants would much prefer the cap was fixed, but the DORs probably like the idea that if they're supplying a lot of England players, that gives them more funds to pay backup players, so there's not a huge drop off in talent (since the England players aren't cheap in the first place).

kentwasp1
kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 08:50
It's apparently Dai's burger bill that did it

coddy
coddy (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 12:25
Quote:
kentwasp1

And I thought it was the expense of buying the players Pizza after away matches in the frozen North!

kentwasp1
kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 19:10
Quote:
coddy
Quote:
kentwasp1

And I thought it was the expense of buying the players Pizza after away matches in the frozen North!

Maybe bad taste in mouth after our win today but maybe Dai bit off more than he could chew

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 00:19
Quote:
kentwasp1
Quote:
coddy
Quote:
kentwasp1

Maybe bad taste in mouth after our win today but maybe Dai bit off more than he could chew

And there was me thinking it was part of the referee's budget.

bg
bg (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 01:29
Quote:
Tom A Hawk
Quote:
kentwasp1
Quote:
coddy
Quote:
kentwasp1

Would you like some wine with those sour grapes

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 07:41
Quote:
bg
Quote:
Tom A Hawk
Quote:
kentwasp1
Quote:
coddy
Quote:
kentwasp1

Would you acknowledge JP Doyle made a couple of horrible calls yesterday?

ukms
ukms (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 07:53
Quote:
Tom A Hawk
Quote:
bg

Would you acknowledge JP Doyle made a couple of horrible calls yesterday?

Wasn’t his best game but that applied to both teams .... plenty that could have been penalised both ways, your own players weren’t squeaky clean by any means ... reality is that’s life move on winking smiley .... if you keep blaming the ref you’ll end up like the Tigers board !

Chiefs
Chiefs (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 08:19
JP had an awful game yesterday, way below his normal high standard, but we blew too many chances. Knock ons, holding on and going off feet when we had Wasps on the rack were not JPs fault.

We had ample opportunity to win that game yesterday but we didn’t.

Well done Wasps a well deserved win, and a full blooded “test match style” game between great rivals.

Stop blaming the ref........We sound like the All Blacks!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net