rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Sarries at HQ.... looking forward to next season now. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MESSAGES->author
Chiefs 31 Saints 30
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 15:54
Phew!

Last minute try to win the game with a BP!

Brent1
Re: Chiefs 31 Saints 30
Brent1 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 16:38
Phew indeed

Ref did well for a relative newbie.

Saints fans should be proud of the defensive effort of their team and some of the great running lines in attack

In victory as in defeat we need to be balanced...mighty glad for the 5 points, mighty glad the Chiefs battled it out to win..great spirit..BUT make no mistake we still made lots of unforced errors...lots to work on

LCD was one of triplets he was everywhere...inevitably he made a few mistakes

Was great to see Joe Simmonds get some game time

We do need a creative back to be available when Slade isn't

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 16:54
Quote:
Brent1
Phew indeed

Saints fans should be proud of the defensive effort of their team and some of the great running lines in attack

Saints fan.

Gutted. They threw it away giving the ball back voluntarily with a short box kick after winning a penalty on 76 minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/02/2018 16:54 by MarchingIn.

Brent1
Brent1 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 17:11
Quote:
MarchingIn
Quote:
Brent1
Phew indeed

Saints fan.

Gutted. They threw it away giving the ball back voluntarily with a short box kick after winning a penalty on 76 minutes.

Perhaps true marching in..but that was after a few phases and your lads were looking tired by that point..fine margins

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 17:18
I think also Saints need to have a conversation with their kit supplier Macron regarding the use of Velcro Straps on their boots as opposed to laces. The number of Saints players who seemingly have not learned to tie their shoe laces properly is more than a little excessive.

MESSAGES->author
Prarie Dog (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 17:39
Agreed Tom. And the poor dears lethargic response to having to front-up for the kick off and lineouts after our third try really had me worried about them.

There's professional attitude and there's bringing the game into disrepute. I think the latter.

That apart our game is based on posession. The unforced errors totally negate our game plan. I'm truly grateful for the last 15 minutes when we ran the phases and looked something like the team we all know. That showed some bottle and determination.

confused smiley(Sm136)(Sm134)(Sm128)

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

Da' nzho!
Pawel Vygot.

MESSAGES->author
Prarie Dog (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 17:51
I notice that many on the Saint's forum are blaming the ref for their defeat. Poor form in my opinion.

(Sm9)(Sm80)

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

Da' nzho!
Pawel Vygot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/02/2018 17:52 by Prarie Dog.

MESSAGES->author
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 18:11
In all seriousness, They where out on their feet in the last ten minutes. I have seen a couple of their fans bemoaning their inability to close out games.. It seems academic but overall fitness would be a good place to start...

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 18:25
The ref managed their "tiredness and lethargy" well at the end, he stopped the clock a few times.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 19:04
Quote:
Prarie Dog

There's professional attitude and there's bringing the game into disrepute. I think the latter.

That's a pretty poor remark. Sore winner springs to mind. I've seen far slower walk ups by other teams.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 19:18
Saints stopped playing and tried to waste time from 70 mins. That change in mindset cost them the game, as it was just the lift we needed. I don't think fitness was an issue for them, just mindset.
They should have been pushing for the TBP, or even just a penalty in kickable range in those last 10 mins, which would have seen them deserved winners

Some of the youngsters made a difference today, and deserve to play again next week.

5pts absolutely undeserved, but it could be just the bit of luck we've needed to shake us out of our stupor.

Our back play today was beyond amateur. Maybe reflective of the lack of pace on the wings, that we felt we needed to time the pass to the very last moment to create the space.
The 3 on 1 the Whitten butchered was laughably bad, with most of the others having head in hands moments too.

However, 6 pts from the last 2 games, which is the same as Wasps is not a bad situation in truth. It's good that we have Saracens next week, as there will be no where to hide from another performance like that.

chief in exile
chief in exile (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 19:26
Hopefully the win will kick start our season. We were poor; too many turnovers, giving away penalties, physicality not at the right levels etc. Winning in the last play shouldn’t take away the fact we were not good enough.

Topofthepole
Topofthepole (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 21:27
Well the worst i have ever seen the chiefs play!
Salvi had a great game.
I dont know why Rob took him of and to not pick Santiago he would have had so much room today.
And the referee !!!!!!

TqyAndy
TqyAndy (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 09:36
I can only assume u did not attend the Worcester game?

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:21
Quote:
chief in exile
Hopefully the win will kick start our season. We were poor; too many turnovers, giving away penalties, physicality not at the right levels etc. Winning in the last play shouldn’t take away the fact we were not good enough.

Absolutely spot on. However if Steeno had converted against Worcester and if JP Doyle had spotted the knock-on in the build up to the Wasps' try last week we would be at least 5 points clear of Sarries after this weekend and with them still to come to SP next week. The margins between success and failure are very thin.

I thought that the worst aspect of yesterday's game was the gamesmanship demonstrated by Northampton. Why the ref stopped the game to allow Mallinder to tie up, not one, but both of his boots and why he didn't stop the clock or hurry Northampton up at the countless other times that they procrastinated I do not know. (BTW reflink wasn't working in the grandstand).

I see that the Northampton board accuses the ref of being a "Homer". IMO Day bullied him throughout the game and Northampton got away with far more than they should have done, lying all over tackles in an offside position and the offside line in general were particluarly poorly enforced in addition to the time wasting.

chiefswatcher
chiefswatcher (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:04
Reflink worked in West in second half. To be fair ref stopped the watch after the conversion and wouldn't start it until the restart was taken. But yes, if a player has shite laces that is his own fault and should not be allowed time. Although the health and safety brigade will probably bleat about it being dangerous.

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:05
I actually don't think things were quite so disastrous as some. First, it was a good game of rugby with both teams playing to win. The conditions helped as it was dry and fine, although the stiffish breeze and low sun did cause some problems. Nevertheless, it was clear that both teams wanted the win. In our case, I didn't think we did quite so much against Warriors. Fortunately, it's not ice dancing we're watching and so there are no extra points for style; the object of the exercise is to score more points than the opposition and we did that. Think how often in the past Tigers and others have had to grind out wins at this stage of the season when they're without key players. Overall, therefore, I'm happy with the win and hope it lifts our confidence ahead of next week. Beat Sarries and we're clear at the top again regardless of what they do today.

So far as the ref was concerned, I thought he did a good job. Sure, he could have been stricter on time wasting, but are we really confident that Chiefs wouldn't do something similar in those circumstances. Our rate of progress is not exactly lightening fast when we're a man down. We probably did get away with a few things; so did Saints. That said, if he was a real homer, he would have awarded the penalty try at the last gasp to save us the effort of scoring a try. Swings and roundabouts, I reckon.

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:57
Delighted with the result, though really overall Saints were the better side for the bulk of that match and have every right to be gutted. Rob needs to give the guys a refresher on keeping hold of the ball.

Still, maybe a messy win like that is what it took to stop the rot.

Chiefsexile
Chiefsexile (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 14:44
Yeah the result was good and the referee had a reasonable game for a sixth former, lots of volunteering credit for his DoE award in that game. Then again, he didn't have Wasps in his face every five minutes and it was good to see Saints and Chiefs players having more class than that.

I think that our inaccuracy could have cost us BUT, I think we deserved the result in the end because Saints were out on their feet, they threw everything at us in the first half. If we had been more clinical...

Irony, JP marching Wuss back ten yards for getting in his face earlier!

andy15
andy15 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 15:02
Whist very disappointed with some very basic errors such as dropping the ball as many as three times with the try line begging it does show that we created far more chances than in some recent games. Catching and passing are key skills which have been off a little for a few weeks. I think we will get better and back to earlier in the season form very shortly.
If the chances created were taken we would be talking about a 50 pint win I think we were all surprised as to why players dropped the ball so often in dry conditions.
Slightly more concerning was the poor penalty count against us and how our midfield was sliced open so easily.

The slowing down by Saints in the second half is a rugby problem and it’s not the time lost as the ref can and should stop the clock but it deliberately stops teams momentum which is so important giving players a breather when blowing hard which was the case yesterday. Ultimately Saints played the last 20 mins trying not to lose rather than being positive and trying to win. The slowing down sparked the crowd into life which fed into the players and the rest is history.

A good 5 points!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net