rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Sarries at HQ.... looking forward to next season now. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
HUGHVILLE
LOST HIS MOJO
HUGHVILLE (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 09:08
Having never to forget Steeno's massive contribution to the Chiefs cause over the years. Recently he looks tired, there is no flair or innovation on show, his touch kicking has been average. His easy conversion in the Worcs game which he normally could do with his eyes shut could have cost us the game.He was taken off yesterday by RB which was the correct decision and should have happened in recent games. He needs a break.Saints like other teams this season are showing the lack of flair in our back line. They scored 3 back line tries we scored 4 forward tries, although the Armand try was a cracker. Hopefully when Nowell/Slade/Short/Campagnero are back we will be back on course. Similar to the England game all very well to have a big pack, but their backline completely outclassed us.

MESSAGES->author
Re: LOST HIS MOJO
Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 09:39
From what I understand Henry Slade is back in training now, If he will make the Saracens game remains to be seen though.

Exeforever
Exeforever (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:08
One of the problems with the three-quarters is that we are playing too deep so every pass from Steeno or anyone else for that matter means that the receiver has to make 5 or 6 yards just to get back to the gain line.

in the (very) old days three-quarters coming from depth gave them a head of steam to batter through the tacklers. Now that players in general, and forwards in particular, are so much larger it just means that the ball carrier runs into an immovable object faster and is therefore more prone to get injured.

It is also not Steeno's fault that players have been knocking-on, throwing wild passes and generally pushing the self destruct button in the way that they have over the last 6 weeks.

I would like to see Simmonds given more time at 10; not because of Steeno's inadequacies but just because Joe is the future and we need to give him match time to develop; personally I'd have started him against both Worcester and Northampton.

southgate
southgate (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:55
I think steenson is a excellent player ,but there comes a time in a season when the player who pulls the strings in the backline needs a rest .

Chief black hat
Chief black hat (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 12:26
I agree that Steenson looks a little tired and I donít understand why Jo wasnít brought on in the last 2 games!

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 14:21
The backs had 2 weeks rest when the AW cup was being played and that was only 3 games ago

Chiefsexile
Chiefsexile (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 14:32
I think Steeno deserves a rest; it's not just physical tiredness it's mental fatigue that I think I see in him right now.

He's still number one but, he ain't Superman!

MESSAGES->author
Tribester (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 14:39
I'm not sure it's all Steenos fault.

With Henry outside him and the likes of Jack, Campo, Cordero, Shorty or Bodiddly in the backs, we'll have unpredictable sparks in attack again.

I'd like to see more of Joe at 10, but we need exciting back play too, not just the hard running of Devo, Hill and Whitten.

I see all this doom and gloom, and then I keep looking at the league table, maybe some others need to do this too.

We just need to be top two, not twenty points clear at the top.

goss8800
Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 15:25
I agree with Hughville 100%. The game changed when Joe S and Matt K came on.

Steeno will always be a legend for the club with what he has done for the Chiefs, but you have to let the younger guys come through.

MESSAGES->author
Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 15:51
And when we did play close to the line there were several gasps and exclamations of "no!" at the prospect of an interception.
It's about balance and I'm not sure a different fly half will do it differently. It's about the teams patterns and methods, not one player.
That having been said Steenson probably could do with a break. Bet you'd struggle to get him to agree though.

andy15
andy15 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 17:18
I canít really agree with the theme here. Did GS miss tackles for a try, drop balls when try line in view etc over recent weeks no. If simple opportunities taken yesterday not sure this subject would be discussed.

I am a great believer of bringing on JS for more game time and think he will be a fantastic no 10 but there have been errors across the board itís not the time to overreact.

I think JS will definitely get more game time now like his brother did towards the end of last season. We trust the coaches to bring forward and develop our younger players itís worked to date. He will start the LV semi and hopefully the final.

As an aside delighted for Street to get involved in a winning team yesterday a potential star.

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 18:28
Regardless of whether GS is having a dip in form he has to be replaced soon. If Joe is to be the man he needs game time to be ready, if he is to young or not the man then we need to know in time to sign a quality fly half for next season

Brent1
Brent1 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 19:03
Quote:
mommentum
Regardless of whether GS is having a dip in form he has to be replaced soon. If Joe is to be the man he needs game time to be ready, if he is to young or not the man then we need to know in time to sign a quality fly half for next season

From what I've seen he is good enough and old enough and needs to start getting some game time, albeit he will get some more soon in the Anglo Welsh

Blackwater Tribe
Blackwater Tribe (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 20:13
Quote:
andy15

As an aside delighted for Street to get involved in a winning team yesterday a potential star.

Great that he helped Tank over the line for the try as well. Looked very confidant carrying and at the set piece too. Great prospect.

Zyder head
Zyder head (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 20:57
Steeno isn't the only player having a dip in form so feel a tad sorry for him being singled out but it something worth talking about.
Steeno is someone who has different strengths to other fly halves and has never had the individual flair of some of the other rivals in his position around the country BUT he has been incredibly reliable.
I can't blame him for the Wuss defeat because of that missed conversion. He should of been able to have many more kicks at goal that day!
We are known for around the Premiership for being very consistent,very organised and a pretty predictable game plan. Let's be honest we don't vary our game plan very much do we? We generally don't alter very much when we play well or not so well,we just stick to what we know which is fine except when it isn't working so well we don't know what else to do. Gareth has never really been someone to create something out of nothing with an incredible piece of individual skill has he so a bit unfair of us to expect it now when he is 33.
I agree with Rob in the fact we are not miles off,Ollie missed a walk in etc yesterday and everyone is probably trying too hard and forcing things,Steeno included,which is leading to our errors.
Hopefully that result yesterday's will see us relax a bit more next weekend.
We are still 4 points clear at the top yet we can play so much better.

MESSAGES->author
clalan (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 22:23
GS isn't being picked on and our losses have not been his fault, but 10 is such an important area, where any slowing or tiredness will effect the whole game play.
He is our number 1, but as mentioned playing JS a bit more will help both in the long run.
Before we know it GS will be in top form again, and JS will be a lot wiser.
Slades return will also take pressure of Steenson, as an outlet of creativity.

MESSAGES->author
DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 10:42
Quote:
clalan
GS isn't being picked on and our losses have not been his fault, but 10 is such an important area, where any slowing or tiredness will effect the whole game play.
He is our number 1, but as mentioned playing JS a bit more will help both in the long run.
+1

Brent1
Brent1 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 19:15
Quote:
DumnoniiNomad
Quote:
clalan
+1
+2

Chiefsexile
Chiefsexile (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 06:24
Quote:
Tribester
I'm not sure it's all Steenos fault.
With Henry outside him and the likes of Jack, Campo, Cordero, Shorty or Bodiddly in the backs, we'll have unpredictable sparks in attack again.

I'd like to see more of Joe at 10, but we need exciting back play too, not just the hard running of Devo, Hill and Whitten.

I see all this doom and gloom, and then I keep looking at the league table, maybe some others need to do this too.

We just need to be top two, not twenty points clear at the top.

I don't think anyone is saying that our lack of precision at the moment is his fault, I'm certainly not. Personally, I think that lack of precision often comes from fatigue regardless of what job you do and being merely a demi-god, Steeno is after all partly human. He has clearly worked hard over the past seasons not just on the creative side of his game but, also the physical side and that has to be taken into account across a season. Defending saps strength.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/02/2018 06:26 by Chiefsexile.

Topofthepole
Topofthepole (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 07:30
All the players Mojo mentioned but Cordero needs to be on. Against the saints the gaps they left, with his speed and agility he would have got us more trys.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net