rugbyunion
Latest News:

..... Chiefs lose out to Sarries at HQ.... looking forward to next season now. .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Topofthepole
Thats more like it
Topofthepole (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:28
Exeter v Saracens back playing as we should. Joe Simmonds played well. I don't know why some of us were being negative about the ref before the game he had a good game. Maybe missed a foreword pass for saracens first try?
Dave Ewers had a great game.Phil Dollman had a great game as well.
Now 7 points clear COME ON YOU CHIEF'S

MESSAGES->author
Re: Thats more like it
DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 19:17
I think that would be due to previous experience of Mr Carley, however I have to agree, he had a pretty good game. It looks as if he's learnt to keep the game flowing and whilst we could gripe at a missed 'whatever', on balance I think it was 50:50.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 20:26
Re Carley, was surprised when he called advantage over after Simmonds kick from a knock on whilst he was running backwards - which landed in Wray's arms from which he counter attacked to back where the knock on offence was. However was even more surprised when it was not called over following a sliced Sarries kick to touch, after they had about 5 seconds, and run 10m into space to make the kick in the 22. Both justifiable either way, but probably not that consistent.

Also not convinced by the penalty against Francis at the end of the first half, but to be fair he did warn first. The first pen of the game v wray seemed very harsh watching the game back so swings and roundabouts as always.

Other than that, I thought he was fine. Maybe a bit too quick to blow up the first Chiefs penalty at the 5m scrum, when it looked like we still had control of the ball, then probably a bit generous in blowing for the penalty try on the 3rd penalty, possibly as a result of the earlier one?
That said, I quite like a ref to go early for a penalty try when in the last 10 mins of a match, as we have seen all to often how teams can run the clock down in those situations

Better team won. Spencer's pen that landed short in the second half was pretty key in terms of momentum - Given the wind, it was a poor miss
Chiefs bench made a difference as expected against a weakened Sarries squad. Sam Simmonds' pace to sack Goode over the try line was a big turning point, then good energy to keep Sarries out at the end at send them home with nothing.

Delighted to see Joe Simmonds play so well - helped out by a fine performance from Slade outside him. White was decent too, although I thought he flagged in the last quarter so was surprised Townsend didn't come on to help clear territory with his better box kicking.

Kick chase and kick defence remains a big work on. It was obviously easier for both sides to challenge when kicking into the wind, but it was noticeable how much further our chasers had to run, to get around and past retreating Sarries players to get to the ball. Nothing illegal, just much smarter play from Sarries, who seemed to have a much clearer passage when running onto their kicks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 02:54 by fatheralice.

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 10:25
Wound up watching this match in Teignmouth on the way home from Camborne. Much more like it.

To beat Sarries anywhere requires the sort of performance we haven't looked capable of in 2018 prior to yesterday but when we needed to, we found it. Credit to Sarries for solid display themselves(other than their scrum), they probably deserved an LBP but most importantly...we are back!

OldWing
OldWing (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 11:54
First of all, congratulations to the ground staff (and chief exec, apparently) for getting Sandy Park ready for the match. I spent much of Saturday clearing snow from around my house so as to be able to escape, and can vouch for the hard work involved. The ground, access, etc were an absolute credit to all concerned.

Even at 09.00 on Sunday, I thought I wouldn't be able to get to the match. But the thaw set in both suddenly and quickly; so much so that, on my way back, I began to wonder if I was going to need a boat rather than a car. The joys of British weather!

So far as the match was concerned, the thread title sums it up nicely. We played with an intensity not seen for a while now and I think this augurs well for the rest of the season. It's a pity the Premiership season gets a bit 'patchy' from here on in, making consistency quite difficult.

MESSAGES->author
Brave new world (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:18
The whole team stepped up yesterday. I would put money on Sam Skinner as a future captain sooner than later. Really matured this year and is now an imposing lock with a great rugby brain.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:13
Thought our bench made a big difference yesterday, Sam Simmonds pace to scrag Goode was a joy to watch and the decision to keep on scrummaging to put Sarries out of LBP range was brave but the right decision given our dominance. The heroic defence during the last 5 minutes was also immense!
Sarries had a lot of missing players but there is no such thing as a poor Sarries team!

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 21:47
Thought Skinner was our standout forward, did not see anyone keeping Lees out of the team at the start of the season.

Saracens were clever with their second try, the timing had to be just right, to pass the ball backwards from the lineout jumper in the air but the other forwards not to get in front of the man catching the ball and be pinged for obstruction in setting up the drive.

Most of the game the Saracen wingers were up in the defence line giving us less space, it would have only taken a couple of kicks into the space behind them from slade to keep them out of the line so early giving us more room.

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 22:05
Quote:
Brave new world
The whole team stepped up yesterday. I would put money on Sam Skinner as a future captain sooner than later. Really matured this year and is now an imposing lock with a great rugby brain.

Completely agree with that, I thought both of our Locks played their socks off. For a guy the height of Johnny Hill to pick up two balls (not his own obviously) off his boot laces took some doing.

With Jack Yeandle on the pitch there was only ever going to be one decision about what to do with the penalties awarded inside 5 metres!

For Me Big Dave Ewers seems to be struggling to get back to what we know he is capable of? Could be a confidence thing with him being out for so long.

Rob made it perfectly clear from his comments after the match that it is a combination of things that influence player selection.

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

MESSAGES->author
Clyst Colt Chief (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 00:05
Quote:
Brave new world

Fantastic presence on and all over the field ...... Let's not forget the great efforts of the Captain that day ... Donnie Armand

"Get on Exe"

Hill Barton Brave
Hill Barton Brave (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 09:03
Quote:
mommentum
Thought Skinner was our standout forward, did not see anyone keeping Lees out of the team at the start of the season.

I agree. I thought both he and Jonny Hill had great games. With those 2 + Don that gives us three really strong line out jumpers.

We really could pick any two of those three as our starting locks.

Shy Ann
Shy Ann (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 11:35
LCD did it for me - best hooker in England now. Shame EJ doesnt agree.

andy15
andy15 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 12:05
Great performance given previous few weeks. We looked hungry.
Will be great to see Dave Dennis available very soon for second row or back row - he was outstanding last year and the start of this season. Will bolster our options big time.

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:21
I agree with PhilW2010 that Dave Ewers does not seem as powerful as before all the injuries But we have seen many times that being back mentally and form can take longer than being physically fit.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 20:49
Personally, I though Ewers had a great game - maybe his best since his return.
Although I am not sure the combo with Tank is quite right, as we lack a bit a pace in the backrow then against sides that contest hard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 20:50 by fatheralice.

MESSAGES->author
PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 01:44
Quote:
fatheralice
Personally, I though Ewers had a great game - maybe his best since his return.
Although I am not sure the combo with Tank is quite right, as we lack a bit a pace in the backrow then against sides that contest hard

Agree with the bit about the combination, with Ewers, Armand & Tank at 6,7,8 it does not give you much in the way of pace or real explosive speed in the back row.
This is why it was always great to see TJ along side Scaysbrook.

Sam Simmons in the back row gives real pace...just not yet fully convinced that Sam Simmons is an 8? Wouldn't mind seeing Sam at 6, but that would mean probably dropping Ewers as he never did seem take to take to playing at 8, despite being hailed as Richie Baxter's Automatic successor.

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 06:36
One of Dave Ewers biggest admirers is Tom Waldrom who probably is the best judge. His power, pace and skill set make him, I believe an excellent potential No.8. He has, affectively been out of the game for 18 months through injury and it takes time to get match fit after such a lay off. Hopefully he can stay fit and get back to his previous best!

Footy Chief
Footy Chief (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 09:51
When both are in tandem there are few finer sights in the game than Ewers and Waldrom combing a few metres from the opposition line. Over the years Iíve lost count of how many times teams havenít been able to cope

mommentum
mommentum (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 20:08
IMO Armand is a better 6 or 8, and for balance like to see Salvi or Kvesic at 7. I know that if the opposition only have the ball 30 percent of the time the need to win turn overs is less than the need for ball carriers and someone to clear out our rucks. But as we saw with England sometimes you need to slow the opposition, but they started with three big slow backrowers.

Our game works well against big sides, it's the quick sides with pacy backs that trouble us now.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 08:09
Quote:
Footy Chief
When both are in tandem there are few finer sights in the game than Ewers and Waldrom combing a few metres from the opposition line. Over the years Iíve lost count of how many times teams havenít been able to cope

I enjoyed our game against Wasps 2 seasons ago when Ewers, Waldrom and Armand patrolled their 10 metre line and smashed them back every time they attacked which virtually set us up for a home semi final against them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net